Anyone Using The Rockett 10 Ton Hammer - UPDATED w/ CLIPS

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ODGreen27, Apr 21, 2015.

1. ODGreen27

ODGreen27 Member

I've been researching this pedal but there is very limited info and reviews available and only a few threads with limited responses on here. Videos by Sam Vilo and Brett Kingman sound awesome! Who's using this pedal? If so, what type of music? Guitars? Amps?

Last edited: Apr 24, 2015
  2. ODGreen27

ODGreen27 Member

3. ODGreen27

ODGreen27 Member

Well, I ordered one of these two days ago right before starting this thread and it arrived two hours ago. I was originally hoping for a Wampler Pinnacle or Plexi Drive Deluxe in hopes of adding a Marshall style overdrive/distortion to my Tweed Deluxe. I stumbled across Rockett's 10 Ton Hammer just three days ago on YouTube and it immediately caught my attention as the demos sounded a little more 'open' (less compressed?) than the Pinnacle I had demoed in the store recently. After comparing lots of video clips I decided to give the 10 Ton Hammer a shot due to the huge price difference and the impressive tone/versatility of Sam Vilo's and Brett Kingman's demos.

I just played the 10 Ton Hammer for two hours and this thing sounds AMAZING! Much better than most of the Youtube demos depict. As a disclaimer: I do not play metal; I do not play thrash; I was not buying this pedal in hopes of an 80's tone which this pedal is marketed as. I mainly play an EJ Strat > Badgerplex Trilogy > El Capistan > Tweed Deluxe with a Greenback. I mainly play blues and classic rock but wanted a versatile pedal that could also deliver heavier tones for when I sit in with bands and just for jamming. This thing delivers!! To me, it sounds most reminiscent of a Marshall Silver Jubilee I had recently played. I'm getting awesome classic rock and blues tones. I currently have the gain at 9 O'Clock and it's more than I could ask for! This pedal allows me to go from the great edge of breakup tones of the Tweed Deluxe right into hot rodded Marshall territory. I think the pedal is a little more scooped or flat in the midrange which is making it work great with the heavy mids of the 5E3. I was worried that the amount of gain would cause the bass of the 5E3 to flub out but it is super tight and the treble and bass controls provide great tonal control. There's not much online about this pedal but I'm so glad I gave it a shot. I know that it's the honey moon phase and I will definitely report back as time goes on, but so far it has exceeded my expectations. I honestly bought it just to try, expecting to return it and pick up one of the Wamplers that I had my eye on. When I pick up a piece of gear with a negative or non-hyped attitude towards it and it blows me away it usually winds up being a keeper. I went into the purchasing of my 5E3 and EJ Start the same way and they have been the steeple of my setup for years now. Anyway, just wanted to give a quick review as there's not much info on this pedal and it is at a very reasonable price point right now. I typed this up on my phone so I hope it is coherent! I will give updates and clips as I get to play some more.

4. eclipseall

eclipseall Member

Thanks for the review. I own this pedal
    also and it is very good. Dont know why it lacks a mid control. It does remind me of the silver jubilee tone. Does that great marshall crunch. Very versatle though and will do cool blues tones. Thr built quality is great also.

5. ODGreen27

ODGreen27 Member

Recorded this during my first hour with the pedal. I had recorded a test using a Blackstar using this same song so I decided to record this as close as possible to that clip in order to compare. Basically identical playing and notes. This is just a rough clip that I did in order to see what the mic would pick up compared to what I was hearing of the pedal in the room.

Test of Rockett 10 Ton Hammer using Blue & Evil Backing track. Flanger, reverb, and delay added in Logic. No EQ or compression other than Waves L2 on Output.

Signal Chain:

EJ Strat > Badgerplex Trilogy > Rockett 10 Ton Hammer > 5E3 w/ Greenback

10 Ton Hammer:
    Volume - 10:30 O'Clock
    Gain - 9 O'Clock
    Treble - 12 O'Clock
    Bass - 12 O'Clock

5E3:
    Instrument Input #1
    Mic Volume - Off
    Instrument Volume - 3
    Tone - 10

Mic:
    Sennheiser E906 on center on cone, 5-inches from grill.

[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/shaneriling/ej-strat-badgerplex-10-ton[/soundcloud]

6. Dunzie

Dunzie Member

Awesome demo... well done. I have to say I hear a real Jeff Beck "Guitar Shop" tone shining through, and to me that's a real compliment.

I am becoming a huge Rockett fanboy, but this one really wasn't on my radar. I have the Archer, Guthrie Trapp, Blue Note, Chicken Soup and Led Boots now. But maybe I need to give this another look!!

7. eclipseall

eclipseall Member

Not alot of good demons of this pedal.

8. ODGreen27

ODGreen27 Member

Had some more time tonight to sit down with the pedal and I'm really enjoying it. There's a huge amount of sounds! This is my first 'distortion' pedal and I'm glad that I took a chance on it. I've mainly always just use an amp's overdrive and fuzz but I'm liking how this thing turns my little 5E3 into a Marshall! I felt compelled to record something with higher gain and I had just heard some Van Halen on the radio so I gave it a shot! Certainly not my usual style or accurate EVH playing, but it'll give an idea of another tone compared to the bluesier Bonamassa clip.

Test of Rockett 10 Ton Hammer with Van Halen Unchained backing track. Reverb and slapback delay panned hard right added in Logic. Waves L2 on output.

Signal Chain:
    EJ Strat > Badgerplex Trilogy > 10 Ton Hammer > 5E3 w/ Greenback

Mic:
    Sennheiser E906 1/2-inch off grill cloth on center of cone.

Amp Settings:
    Instrument Input #1
    Mic Volume - Off
    Instrument Volume - 3
    Tone - 10

10 Ton Hammer Settings:
    Volume - 10 O'Clock
    Gain - 10 O'Clock
    Treble - 12 O'Clock
    Bass - 11:30 O'Clock

[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/shaneriling/test-rockett-10-ton-hammer-unchained[/soundcloud]

Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
  9. ODGreen27

ODGreen27 Member

Thank you! I really appreciate the kind words.

10. ODGreen27

ODGreen27 Member

Fixed the above clip.

11. ODGreen27

ODGreen27 Member

Played some more tonight. Continuing to test the versatility of this pedal and make sure it's a keeper. Recorded this at whisper quiet volumes at 1am this morning (I work night shift half the week and go to class during the day half the week so my schedule is all thrown off).

Test of Rockett 10 Ton Hammer with Sweet Emotion backing track. Reverb and slapback delay added in Logic. Panned hard right for guitar left and hard left for guitar right. Used a Tweed Deluxe 5E3 with Celestion Greenback. Recorded at extremely low volume; less than talking volume.

Signal Chain:
    EJ Strat > Badgerplex Trilogy > Rockett 10 Ton Hammer > 5E3 w/ greenback

Mic'd with Sennheiser E906 on center of cone 5-inches off grill cloth.

[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/shaneriling/test-rockett-10-ton-hammer-sweet-emotion[/soundcloud]