anyone using their Helix Stomp as a Delay/Reverb box?

G34RSLU7

I've been toying with this idea, it's smaller and lighter than a HXFX, i don't need too many presets, but then again i hear the delay/reverb are the worst part of the helix algorithms..

anyone doing this?

JiveTurkey

Trumpets and Tants
Silver Supporting Member
What is your main modeling/fx device you would be adding it to?

jeremyjh

Specular Tempus, Source Audio Collider are the most popular options in terms of programmable/MIDI supporting pedals that can run both a reverb and a delay at the same time. Another one I think is really a lot more fun looking is the Poly Digit, but its hard to get them.

david(j)

Silver Supporting Member
I like and use the HX verbs often and have used them right next to Strymon, H9 etc.
if you are looking for a specific Strymon or H9....get that
im sick of those sounds and don’t need them

the delays are pretty much what I want.
the Tapes, Vintage Digital, Adriatic Memory Man...all good for me.
The delays are great. Vintage digital is my current favorite. I’m also using the harmonic trem, eq, and some dirt from mine. Very happy with it. There are so many awesome sounds in there.

dk_ace

I don't get the HX Reverb hate. But when I had the AX8 I also didn't understand the gushing over their verbs. Guess I'm just the odd man out here but it feels a bit like a group think thing...
+1

The fractal verbs are better, but it’s not like the heavens open when you turn one on or anything. The HX verbs don’t hang with some of the very best verbs I’ve had/heard, but they’re plenty good for my needs. Once I’ve learned how to get the most out of them I’ve been really happy with them.

If you really specifically want a Strymon cloud reverb or shimmer, just get the big sky and move on. Everybody and their mother is using those sounds though. For the more effected verbs, I’ve focused on crafting a little different style than what everyone else does and the helix has allowed me to do that.

The HX delays are fabulous. Love the trems, drives, filters, etc too.

D

Black Squirrel

Silver Supporting Member
I use it for Mods and delays, and maybe a drive if I need something specific. just don't need a big board anymore.

luckymethod

I've been toying with this idea, it's smaller and lighter than a HXFX, i don't need too many presets, but then again i hear the delay/reverb are the worst part of the helix algorithms..

anyone doing this?
it's the worst possible use I can think of for the HX stomp as the reverbs are possibly the worst sounding effects in the unit. I would look elsewhere for that.

dawgs2323

Silver Supporting Member
I know some of you don’t like/need better verbs, but, Fractal and Kemper are pretty far ahead.... I love everything else in the Stomp. If the verbs were overhauled, my all-in-one setup would be a 6” box!

paulg

Silver Supporting Member
Think of it this way: you don’t need enticement to use more reverb. Its a tone killer. The notes float off into the ether.......

MartinC

I don't get the HX Reverb hate. But when I had the AX8 I also didn't understand the gushing over their verbs. Guess I'm just the odd man out here but it feels a bit like a group think thing...
I have not long had my HX Effects, nor do I have formal qualifications in reverb/delay righteousness ... but I do have to say I agree with you on this. It didn't take me long to find and dial in a reverb and delay that I liked ... to the point where I'm playing and liking, and forgetting about tweaking.

I suppose it's possible that I'm not playing music for which highly specific delay tones/features are total deal makers/breakers. Just looking for a bit of ambience, a tiny bit of always on slap-back and a longer delay to moisten solos.

To the OP, have a listen to the kind of tones that John Nathan Cordy gets on his YouTube channel. He's a big user of HX Stomp, and, to my ear, has some of the best tones I've heard on YouTube ... which almost always feature reverb and delay.

Last edited: