• Supporting Membership Changes

The Supporting Memberships are currently being updated moving forward.

In order to coordinate giveaway drawings to the Supporting Members there will be a new alignment in the naming of the tiers. (Note: Non-Supporting (Basic) and Monthly Supporting Members can get into the drawings by mailing a postcard. Details on that will follow with a giveaway starting soon).

The pricing for each Supporting Membership level remains the same though the naming of them will change. The privileges remain the same as current but with the new name. If you are a current Supporting Member, you will be upgraded automatically for the existing term of your Supporting Membership. We are introducing a new tier with new perks.

Table here

Supporting Membership Guide

• Monthly Supporting Members will remain Supporting Members
    • Current annual Supporting Members will now be Silver Supporting Members. Perks and permissions remain the same
    • Current Silver Supporting Members will now be Gold Supporting Members
    • Current Gold Supporting Members will now be Platinum Supporting Members
    • A new level will be created - Double Platinum Supporting Members

All memberships will now have the option to remain as non-recurring memberships or choose reccuring memberships moving forward. *Note: current memberships will NOT be changed to recurring memberships.

anyone using their Helix Stomp as a Delay/Reverb box?

metropolis_4

They're better than the Boss verbs. I'll totally give them that.
100% agree. Boss should be ashamed of reverbs they put in the SY-1000

I think you're painting with just as broad a brush, unfortunately.

Some of us acknowledge the limitations of the Helix reverbs and think a lot of negative hyperbole is being thrown their way. And some of us just do like them.
Hyperbole? painting with a broad brush?

All I said was:

I think the delays are good, but the reverbs are pretty weak.
I never said anything about people who do like them or try to assume the reason why people like them.

Because there's a wide gulf between "they're totally usable but I like X better" vs "they aren't good enough and can't get the job done".
I didn't say either of those things. The thing I said right before your comment was:

I think the delays are good, but the reverbs are pretty weak.

dk_ace

I sometimes use the reverbs in my HX Stomp instead of my Mercury7, or Specular Tempus, or Collider, and for a while I don't have a problem with them - particularly if you are aggressive with the low and high cuts. But after a few hours I'll go back to one of my dedicated reverb pedals and think to myself "man, this sounds so much less like a jumbled mess". There's just something about the Helix reverbs that manage to get in the way of your playing when using long decay times. The other reverb units CAN have that same property but getting them to sit and play nice with your playing is pretty easy, while the Helix reverbs will never get out of your way quite enough and still sound somewhat decent. I'm talking decay times of 6+ seconds, not your typical rock and roll, blues, or jazz thing. I love playing that is more on the ambient side though, so a reverb that can sit nice in the mix, even if the mix is only one guitar, is very important to me.

So while I wouldn't call the reverbs in the Helix series bad, I would say there a whole lot of better options out there. I can't say the same for the delays though, they are REALLY, REALLY good in the Helix series. Easily on par with my Specular Tempus' and Collider's delays, and actually preferable over them for a lot of reasons like being able to edit any parameter on the fly without having to plug into a computer and use software, and they just sound great.
This is pretty close to my take on it. It is difficult to get big, impressive reverbs that don’t get in the way. With a lot of fiddling, I managed to get it with glitz and double tank well enough to be happy. Even then the settings are really fickle, like 1-2% too much on the mix or .1-.2 too much on the mix or mod settings and it goes wrong. It took a lot of effort too. Other reverb pedals are just easy to get great sounds like this from.

D

Watt McCo

I think you're painting with just as broad a brush, unfortunately.

Some of us acknowledge the limitations of the Helix reverbs and think a lot of negative hyperbole is being thrown their way. And some of us just do like them.
In a thread that's asking specifically about reverb/delay use only, it's not really all that hyperbolic to say that the Stomp sucks for that purpose -- simply because there are multiple better options for quite a bit less money.

mikah912

In a thread that's asking specifically about reverb/delay use only, it's not really all that hyperbolic to say that the Stomp sucks for that purpose -- simply because there are multiple better options for quite a bit less money.
I wouldn't say it sucks for that purpose because you most certainly can set up parallel routing and tweak out some of the irregularities on an HX Stomp, but I'm not saying that's hyperbolic. I'm saying that stuff like this:

If you just want something in the background it's fine but for post rock or ambient music it just doesn't sound right, it's pointless to even argue about it, it doesn't get it done.
...is hyperbole.

kennywiegman

I don't get the HX Reverb hate. But when I had the AX8 I also didn't understand the gushing over their verbs. Guess I'm just the odd man out here but it feels a bit like a group think thing...
To me the reverbs just aren't musical. When I add reverb to my patch, it feels like they don't respond to my playing in a dynamic way like other effects do. They don't feel present in the signal path. Turning up the mix doesn't improve the responsiveness, just remove clarity. That's why I don't enjoy the helix verbs

G34RSLU7

To me the reverbs just aren't musical. When I add reverb to my patch, it feels like they don't respond to my playing in a dynamic way like other effects do. They don't feel present in the signal path. Turning up the mix doesn't improve the responsiveness, just remove clarity. That's why I don't enjoy the helix verbs
that's how i felt about the helix amp modeling. but hadn't really tried the reverb/delay properly in the weeks i owned a stomp/native

JiveTurkey

Trumpets and Tants
Supporting Member
Watching the new Strymon video and I have to say; a LOT of the reverb experience seems to be in two distinct chunks. Spring/Hall/Plate in an acceptable and up quality and then weirdo/ambient verbs. Those seem especially a "personal choice" compared to getting a good basic reverb which should actually probably be the bigger priority of the two in most non-church rig settings.

kennywiegman

that's how i felt about the helix amp modeling. but hadn't really tried the reverb/delay properly in the weeks i owned a stomp/native
I get along well with the amp modeling no problem, Sometimes I feel the same about the delays as I do the reverb. I could definitely commit to a Helix amp modeler pedal only and outsource my other stuff to dedicated pedals. Unfortunately, since the money sunk is spoken for, I pick and choose my battles and deal with the quirks. Helix is pleasant to program and interfaces with Logic just fine, Variax makes it a done deal for me

dk_ace

Buy an Hx FX for the delays and other stuff, and buy the Strymon nightsky so you’ll be the cool kid with the newest Strymon reverb and can use the cool new sounds some before everyone else does and makes us all bored with those sounds. If you time it right, you can be selling it right at the peak of hype and right before everyone gets sick of it.

D

G34RSLU7

I get along well with the amp modeling no problem, Sometimes I feel the same about the delays as I do the reverb. I could definitely commit to a Helix amp modeler pedal only and outsource my other stuff to dedicated pedals. Unfortunately, since the money sunk is spoken for, I pick and choose my battles and deal with the quirks. Helix is pleasant to program and interfaces with Logic just fine, Variax makes it a done deal for me
i've tried helix and atomic and didn't like either, i've considered getting an AX8 since that would solve a lot of my problems and be a lot cheaper and portable than going the analog route, but i think digital amp modeling might just not be for me

kennywiegman

i've tried helix and atomic and didn't like either, i've considered getting an AX8 since that would solve a lot of my problems and be a lot cheaper and portable than going the analog route, but i think digital amp modeling might just not be for me
Digital is different. Playing in a group all direct sold me on the modelers. Its a different animal for sure, probably a lot like when vinyl aficionados bought their first CD player. The tactile feel of the dropping the needle on the groove is missed, but not much else

G34RSLU7

Digital is different. Playing in a group all direct sold me on the modelers. Its a different animal for sure, probably a lot like when vinyl aficionados bought their first CD player. The tactile feel of the dropping the needle on the groove is missed, but not much else
i listen to MP3s on $25 logitech speakers and some of my favorite albums are recorded with fractal units so i'm not an audio snob, but i haven't played a modeler that convinced me, maybe if i could try out a fractal unit in the wild (played one about a decade ago for 10 minutes through computer speakers so that didn't leave a good impression).

dawgs2323

Supporting Member
I sometimes use the reverbs in my HX Stomp instead of my Mercury7, or Specular Tempus, or Collider, and for a while I don't have a problem with them - particularly if you are aggressive with the low and high cuts. But after a few hours I'll go back to one of my dedicated reverb pedals and think to myself "man, this sounds so much less like a jumbled mess". There's just something about the Helix reverbs that manage to get in the way of your playing when using long decay times. The other reverb units CAN have that same property but getting them to sit and play nice with your playing is pretty easy, while the Helix reverbs will never get out of your way quite enough and still sound somewhat decent. I'm talking decay times of 6+ seconds, not your typical rock and roll, blues, or jazz thing. I love playing that is more on the ambient side though, so a reverb that can sit nice in the mix, even if the mix is only one guitar, is very important to me.

So while I wouldn't call the reverbs in the Helix series bad, I would say there a whole lot of better options out there. I can't say the same for the delays though, they are REALLY, REALLY good in the Helix series. Easily on par with my Specular Tempus' and Collider's delays, and actually preferable over them for a lot of reasons like being able to edit any parameter on the fly without having to plug into a computer and use software, and they just sound great.
This....Exactly! I always think of how well the Neunaber Wet, Flint 80's, or even the Natural verb on Kemper does this. They just sit in the background perfectly...

metropolis_4

Watching the new Strymon video and I have to say; a LOT of the reverb experience seems to be in two distinct chunks. Spring/Hall/Plate in an acceptable and up quality and then weirdo/ambient verbs. Those seem especially a "personal choice" compared to getting a good basic reverb which should actually probably be the bigger priority of the two in most non-church rig settings.
Yup, this. Reverb has essentially become two different things among guitarists.

Actually maybe it's three:

1. Normal guitarist reverb (about 90% of reverb needs)
2. Ambient/ethereal reverb
3. Church guitarist reverb

:D

Tangent: I always love when guys complain about how much they hate chorus/phase/flange because they're so outdated, and then gush over how amazing modulated reverbs sound

dk_ace

I own the M300, it was my first dedicated reverb pedal and is probably the single biggest contributor to exploring outside of the Helix ecosystem! It really is fantastic sounding, quite a bit better than the Helix reverbs which is why I started looking for modeling/home amp solutions. I love the M300's Epic verb setting, the huge modulated reverb one. The tone knob on that thing is very powerful, too - much more powerful than the tone controls on the Collider and the Specular Tempus (Mercury7 has great tone control). There's just a couple reasons I don't use it on a regular basis, the main one being the fact that you need to run TRS Y-splitter cables in both the input and the output, which is just a humongous pain in the butt since those cables always stick out much, much further than your typical guitar pedal patch cable. And good luck finding one with a right angle! Though seriously, if anyone knows of a Y-splitter TRS cable with a right angle on the stereo end, please let me know so I can buy a couple of them.

The other problem with the pedal is it's very limited headroom. It'll get nasty distortion at input levels that my other pedals can handle with zero problems. This makes gain staging with it another pain in the butt. Though I'll note that I've only seen this ugly distortion happen when the decay times are set fairly high, like 4+ seconds so this might not be a real world problem for a lot of folks.

Still, it's an amazing bang-for-your-buck pedal that has reverb algorithms competing toe to toe with the biggest in the field.
This was an interesting surprise, never paid that pedal any attention. Just gave some clips a listen, and that thing sounds really nice. I kinda ignored an MXR reverb as that really isn’t their wheelhouse, but it sounds cool. I wish it were programmable...

D