Anyone using their iPad Pro for simple recording/demos

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by jrbanjo, Dec 3, 2017.

1. jrbanjo

jrbanjo Member

Just curious if you are using an iPad Pro for simple home recording? I need a new portable device and am thinking about going iPad Pro instead of a laptop but I'd like be able to use it for tracking home demo's at a decent quality level.

For example - I'd love to be able to track and acoustic/vocal mic or electric guitar track into garageband with a drum track and then export that into a Mac to add on.

Anyone using an iPad Pro as a portable recorder to then put into Logic?

How does it work? What interface are you using to get a mic/guitar into the iPad Pro?

Also curious are you using a gen 1 or gen 2 iPad pro.

Thanks in advance for any insights!

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
  2. champion ruby

champion ruby Member

Hi, I am using a 9.7” iPad Pro for recording, I treat it like an 8 track tape machine.

You have to be realistic about what the device can do for you, it quickly becomes a PITA if you try to do too much with it. Forget about editing and full production, it’s possible but a horrible experience.

Garageband is great because it’s free and intuitive to use. I have the more advanced DAW’s like Cubasis and Auria Pro but don’t like them at all.

For my interface I am using a Motu 16a if at home or a Steinberg UR22 mk2 if I am travelling. Most class compliant usb interfaces will work with the Camera Connection Kit and the same applies for usb Midi devices.

The pencil while expensive is worth getting, it makes it a lot faster to do everything. Where the iPad excels is really as an instrument/sampler, a looper and an FX box. If you keep that in mind and don’t expect too much from the recording side you will absolutely love it.

3. SlideGuy123

SlideGuy123 Member

I use an iPad Air 2 as a digital recorder for voiceover work. Interface is a Steinberg UR12, so it’s iOS compatible and can be powered by an external phone battery. It send phantom power to a Shure SM 27. I use the Apple camera adapter to connect the Steinberg to the pad.

I’m using a wave recorder/editor called Twisted Wave, and can edit tracks into high quality auditions that can be emailed from the app. I can also send WAV files to my computer to work on them in a DAW. My whole rig goes into a padded briefcase, including a tabletop mic stand.

The whole thing is easy to use and quiet.

4. evanjackson

evanjackson Supporting Member

I make all my recording on my iPad with just Garageband and a Focusrite interface. For what I do it's perfect. I'd imagine using the pro would be even better.

I would just suggest getting as much memory as possible (or backing up regularly) as Garageband can get fussy when you're reaching your limit. Other than that, it's terrific.

For reference, all of my recordings on SoundCloud were made with this setup.