Anyone using TWO Chauvet 4 Bars in sync?

Gasp100

Gold Supporting Member
I have one 4 bar flex that is really like, nothing special I just use the pedal to get to the scene where it cycles colors every 3 seconds. If I use it on the floor it accentuates the band on dark lit stages (but can be glaring if it gets in your eyes. The correct approach is probably 2, one set on each side of the stage up high on stands focused on the band. I know you can supposedly sync these together as one being master and one being slave.
Anyone doing this?
What is required and how hard is it to get going?
I'd love to go full boat with DMXIS and programming light "shows", syncing to tracks, etc... but that is a way off right now.

RCM78

Just connect them with a DMX cable, set the first one in the chain as a master, all others set as slave.

We run 4 LED wash cans on each side and two LED panels lighting the drummer. Each side is in sync and we let the lights change to the beat of the music.

p19978

Just connect them with a DMX cable, set the first one in the chain as a master, all others set as slave.

We run 4 LED wash cans on each side and two LED panels lighting the drummer. Each side is in sync and we let the lights change to the beat of the music.
Minus the wash cans this is our exact setup as well. Sets up quick and easy.

Gasp100

Gold Supporting Member
Minus the wash cans this is our exact setup as well. Sets up quick and easy.
Did you run into any issues getting the slave / master configuration working? I've seen a few things regarding it being a PITA online and the Chauvet manual is pretty terrible. I feel like another 4 bar is the logical next step for lighting and I definitely want to start programming using DMXIS eventually. I've seen lighting rigs take bands to the next level (more/better gigs, agency gigs)... kind of comical but hey, it's gear and I like learning about gear so what the ****? Might as well play!

p19978

Did you run into any issues getting the slave / master configuration working? I've seen a few things regarding it being a PITA online and the Chauvet manual is pretty terrible. I feel like another 4 bar is the logical next step for lighting and I definitely want to start programming using DMXIS eventually. I've seen lighting rigs take bands to the next level (more/better gigs, agency gigs)... kind of comical but hey, it's gear and I like learning about gear so what the ****? Might as well play!
Unfortunately our drummer set it all up (I just wrote the check lol).

He did mention some problem getting it synched initially but we used it Friday night and it fired it and worked perfectly from the beginning.

I know he did buy a DMX controller but I don't know the details; I think that was for the LED panels but not sure.

Last edited:

fisticuffs

It's not hard but you need to understand basic DMX to make it work. You set the slaves to the slaves first channel.
http://www.djzone.net/pg/news/tech1/dmx512-the-basics.print.shtml
If you have a light that uses 5 channels the first one uses channels 1,2,3,4,5 the second light would be set to channel 6. (6,7,8,9,10) the third to 11... etc.
With the Chauvet 4 Bar is I don't know what channels it has assigned on the first unit. it is doing something internally in the bar as opposed to a setting for each light I think. But addressing is only necessary if you want to control each light. You just want to mirror whats happening on the first bar so just set the DMX address to 1 on the second bar and it will mimic the first.

Gasp100

Gold Supporting Member
It's not hard but you need to understand basic DMX to make it work. You set the slaves to the slaves first channel.
http://www.djzone.net/pg/news/tech1/dmx512-the-basics.print.shtml
If you have a light that uses 5 channels the first one uses channels 1,2,3,4,5 the second light would be set to channel 6. (6,7,8,9,10) the third to 11... etc.
With the Chauvet 4 Bar is I don't know what channels it has assigned on the first unit. it is doing something internally in the bar as opposed to a setting for each light I think. But addressing is only necessary if you want to control each light. You just want to mirror whats happening on the first bar so just set the DMX address to 1 on the second bar and it will mimic the first.
Wow, this is awesome thanks!

HoboMan

Gold Supporting Member
Not familiar with the Chauvet but I have the ADJ LED light bars and you simply use a DMX cable (I use a mic cable) and connect them together.
One controller now controls both light bars.

Our bassist & singer each have two of the Chauvet bars and the bassist controls those while I control my ADJs.

Here they are at a gig with the Chauvets in the back and my ADJs on the sides.

PCR

I have two Chauvet Flex 4 and a Obey 70. I also use one Chauvet SLIM 64. (and a large assortment of DMX digital cables: monoprice.com has good prices)

DMX is not that hard to learn, but it takes a while to get everything programmed. I wish there were a computer interface to input the program to save the Scenes and make the Chases: but that's my wishful thinking.

After buying the Obey 70; and spending hours to set it up, I mostly use just the two Flex 4's together (Mstr/Slv), and the foot switch. The Auto Sound is a little too sensitive for us, so we just go to the 3 second color switch. Three seconds is the longest you can make the switch, it would be nice to make it 30 seconds.

What worked well for us is to use the Flex 4's as a wash, and the SLIM 64 set to auto (the Slim 64 auto is a little better).

Here is the deal with DMX:
  • Each Flex 4 is a single fixture to the DMX controller.
  • Each Slider on the controller is assigned a function (listed on the pg 6 in the manual)
  • When you move the Slider, the digital display number goes up and down. The number corresponds to the chart in the manual.
  • You have to use the Flex 4 manual to set each light (and each RGB). That means that each light uses 3 slides.
  • It takes 15 sliders to program 1 Scene (slider 1, 2, and 3 programs the entire light).
  • You save individual Scenes, and then you stitch Scenes together into a Chase. The length and transition between Scenes is programmed on the DMX.
  • On the DMX, you can choose a specific Scene, or Chase.
The Obey 70 contains WAY more functions that I really need, but it was only about $10-$20 more than the smaller one.

As you can see, it's not that difficult, but it just takes a lot of time to get all the numbers on each slider right.

I think if I were to change anything I would have purchases two smaller SLIM 38. Use the Flex 4 to only do wash, and then link the two SLIM 38 and set that to auto to just add a little color change and flash to the stage.

Hope this helps.

I've set mine as Master/Slave and generally set it to run the slow fade. I'm too cheap to buy DMX cables, so I use mic cables ;)

Has worked fine thus far!