Anyone using Ubuntu Studio?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by padavis, Apr 24, 2008.

1. padavis

padavis Supporting Member

I have heard good things about Ubuntu in general and while I was researching the operating program I stumbled onto www.ubuntustudio.org. Seems like a fairly cool program or set of programs or whatever ubuntu calls them haha and I think I am going to check it out. Right now I am using Cakewalk Music Creator 3. Its fine and works pretty dang good for the basic stuff I am doing, but I am always trying to get things faster and sound better so the search might lead me here. Atleast until I can afford other cool stuff. Any thoughts from users?
    Thanks for any help,
    Patrick

2. wildschwein

wildschwein Member

I haven't tried it yet but I'm going to install it soon. I have regular Ubuntu on a desktop which I want to set-up for recording. I've tried out Audacity and Hydrogen etc and want some other goodies to play around with. The price is right like most Linux stuff.

3. paraedolia

paraedolia Member

I've been using Ubuntu (well, Kubuntu actually) Linux exclusively as a desktop OS for a few years, with good old Debian on production servers.
    One thing to note, even though there are all thee various flavours, you can still install anything on all of them. So you can easily install all the studio packages in plain vanilla Ubuntu.
    Audacity is pretty good.

4. wildschwein

wildschwein Member

Yeah. I actually use my laptop as my main machine and it has SimplyMepis 6 on it which is a Debian-based system; actually it's about 70% Ubuntu 6.06. Very nice and stable system and have been running it for over a year.

I figured I'd just wipe my desktop machine, as it only has Ubuntu 6.10 on it and I haven't used it for ages and just start fresh with the full studio distro without having to worry about hunting down all the software in synaptic. I'm just basically lazy.

5. Kappy

Kappy Member

+1

Came from a few years as a pretty die hard Gentoo user. At first I felt like I was copping out switching to such an "easy" distro, but I don't miss the occasional downtime I got with running Gentoo (my own fault because I always ran with the ~x86 flag to get all the bleeding edge stuff). I've been running 8.04 in beta for the last couple of months, and yesterday the official release came out.

Thanks for the tip about ubuntu studio. Will definitely take a closer look. I've sadly been keeping windows around for some music apps that don't run on Linux. I'd like to get out from under that (OS) entirely.

6. Brain2Me2

Brain2Me2 Member

It will never happen, but I hope Digidesign or other companies realize this is the best OS for their software (hardware).

(I'm sure they already know it, but XP and OS X have to sell. $$$)