Anyone visited the Tech 21 NYC booth at NAMM?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by danut, Jan 22, 2006.

1. danut

danut Member

I'm very curious, since I had a telephone conversation, a month ago, with Lloyd Schwartz (Product Manager and Customer Support) and he told me they were going to come up with a new amp at NAMM 2006, but he didn't want to unveil the secrecy back then...I'm very curious, if anyone could spread the news...thanks a lot!

2. GreenTea

GreenTea Member

Don't know about a new amp but I'd be very curious, too! I love my TM 60. The shared eq is a not optimum, it doesn't sound like 60 watts and the decay is not tube... BUT this thing really is great in a live scene both miked and direct. I use a tele, a LP and an Analogman mini bi-comp with mine. The TM 60 is so gigable that if Tech 21 announces a new amp, I'd be a strong candidate to try one out. We'll see, but I really like mine. Paging Herr Schwartz -- Paging Herr Schwartz.

3. danut

danut Member

Were you serious about the paging thing?:confused:

4. GreenTea

GreenTea Member

No. But I was thinking that if Lloyd was aware of our curiosity, he might be notified and post a reply. Doubt he monitors this site but it was worth the try. :AOK

5. danut

danut Member

All we can do is keep this bumped

6. whitehall

whitehall Member

I really love their stuff but it could use some updating. After years of searching I have still not found a bedroom tube amp that comes close to my TM10. Of course that doesn't stop me from buying stuff all the time.

7. GreenTea

GreenTea Member

I'm curious about their marketing strategy (you think they'd be getting the word out). I'll be curious to see what's new. If nothing new or "updated"as you suggect, I'll probably grab the PE 60.

8. danut

danut Member

I already have the PE60. I'm using it with the TRI-A.C. Very cool combination!

9. GreenTea

GreenTea Member

From Tech 21: "...We unveiled two new versions of the TM60. It is now available in a 2 x 12 or 4 x 10 configuration. All the TM60 formats share the same electronic chassis."

10. danut

danut Member

Cool!

I was, however, hoping for a 2x12" Power Engine 60.

11. protoangel

protoangel Member

Would be great to have a PE twice the power, or separates, so you have a powerful, lightweight SS power amp to plug into a 4x12 or 2.

Interestingly enough, the speakers they use are now eminence with higher power handling, instead of the Celestion 80/70 (this is still a gtr speaker, just a little flatter than the usual Celestion crowd (Kinda similar to the classic lead apparently.. so that means a balanced tone with treble lift higher up the scale.... 6khz or something).

So I assume the Eminence are the same but with higher power rating

12. danut

danut Member

"Interestingly enough, the speakers they use are now eminence with higher power handling, instead of the Celestion 80/70 (this is still a gtr speaker, just a little flatter than the usual Celestion crowd (Kinda similar to the classic lead apparently.. so that means a balanced tone with treble lift higher up the scale.... 6khz or something)."

Where did you find this out? I thought the Seventy/80 was the speaker they still currently use in their amps.

13. GreenTea

GreenTea Member

When did this happen? Or is this in one of the new models? Which Eminence speaker please?

14. johnrea_77

johnrea_77 Silver Supporting Member

So the progression for the Power Engine 60 speaker was - Tech 21 Eminence ---> Celestion 70/80 ----> Tech 21 New Eminence. I've never seen one with the Celestion and that didn't seem to last too long. I decided to put an original EVM12L in mine. Noting like a $300 speaker in a $300 amp.

15. protoangel

protoangel Member

I actually got this info from an email reply from tech21...

Perhaps they meant the speakers in the 4x12 cab?

16. GreenTea

GreenTea Member

If you still have the amp, what does the EVM12L swap sound like? Is it flat response/does it color the sound? Still like it?

17. Kyle Ashley

Kyle Ashley Supporting Member

Although this thread is 2 years old, I'd be interested in how the EVM works in a power engine as well!