Anyone w/ a Creation Audio Labs Mark 4:23 Boost?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by George H, Sep 22, 2006.

1. George H

George H Member

What are your impressions? How does this boost compare to
    some of the more well known boost pedals?

Are there any dealers carrying them? Is the street price
    really $225?

I've just discovered this pedal & haven't actually seen one in person.
    I regularly use a Pharaoh Class A, a Fulltone Fatboost & a SparkleDrive.
    (set clean) I'm wondering if this pedal is worth the extra coin.

GH:)

2. jjones

jjones Member

Bump for curiosity:)

3. jjones

jjones Member

has anyone checked this pedal out yet?

any soundclips to be found?

4. psquared

psquared Supporting Member

I'm curious too about this pedal. It made me laugh when I looked up Mark 4:23 in the Bible (not sure you can even post about this pedal on TGP-Ha!). Great name for a boost pedal!!

5. whoismarykelly

whoismarykelly Oh look! This is a thing I can change!

Just for reference (I dont have the worlds first novel around), what is Mark 4:23?

6. psquared

psquared Supporting Member

Not a direct quote but the narrarative says something like," He who has ears to hear, let him hear." I thought it was pretty clever for a boost pedal.

7. fatback

fatback Member

I'm not sure how usefull clips are with a clean boost. Boosts need to be heard and felt, and tend to vary tremendously from rig to rig.

That pedal does look sharp.

abnerfm likes this.
  8. whoismarykelly

whoismarykelly Oh look! This is a thing I can change!

Clever indeed.

9. jjones

jjones Member

I totally agree with what you are saying, I guess I was hoping to see(hear) how the lower end and midrange is handled. I've tried a few different boosts and with a drri the bottom end and midrange seems to get altered the most(loss of note articulation). May be the nature of the amp. My favorite so far has been the RC. The Mark 4:23 def wins in asthetics. Just curious if it sounds as good as it looks. I wish pedal creators would put clips on their website.
    Big thanks to you fatback for giving us so many useful clips:dude

10. blueguitar

blueguitar Member

I was fortunate enough to trial the beta version of this pedal months ago and have since bought them for my shop. My demo with this pedal is to turn the level to '0' and then kick the switch in and out and ask the customer to tell me when the pedal is on. Well, obviously it is a 50/50 deal but you wouldn't believe how many times they get it wrong and when their right they will usually admit the were just guessing. Totally transparent in my estimation and experience. Will not color your tone! Will not change frequency response of the guitar! Sure it loads up the front end of the amp and you may get some tone change from the amp but the coloring is not occurring from the pedal. Best dang clean boost I've heard! Forget your "fatboost" or "java" thingy because these guys really got it right. Box is made from stainless steel and looks great besides it will last at least an eon.

11. Paradox

Paradox Member

I'd have to agree. I should start by saying that I know the designer because he works on a lot of my gear. But then that's also to say that I know how far his expertise goes (very far), and I know he has a very good pair of ears.

That having been said, I'll say that I played a Telecaster through this pedal, and it's like picking up a new guitar when you use this thing! It's tremendous, and yes I'd say it's worth the price. If I had one word to say about it I'd characterize this pedal as responsive.

The first stage of the circuit in the pedal is a very, very innovative and clever design. It's not exactly active, so to speak; the signal doesn't actually get "amplified" in the traditional sense. What it does do is to present almost no load to your guitar's pickups at all, which means no loss of signal and really fast response. The second stage has an incredibly quiet and powerful amplifier that sounds better than any pedal I've ever heard. There wasn't that muffled, dark crap you usually hear, or any attempt to color the tone. All that came through, loud and clear, was the tone of the guitar.

Try one out and you'll be pretty amazed...

bc

12. 73171

73171 Member

I really like this pedal, too, but I'm biased..it was invented by my brother-in-law!!! (really!)

13. Elliott Damage

Elliott Damage Member

so did you get one for free? :eek:

14. 73171

73171 Member

Elliott Damage
    so did you get one for free? :eek:

Yes, I did!...also got two free prototype Creation Audio Labs Redemeers, one internal, and one pedal model to test.

I hope he makes a killer overdrive next! My brother-in-law Alex Welti was a tech for Soundcraft, working on very expensive mixing boards. He's also done sound system tech work at the Kennedy Center in DC. The guy really knows his stuff.......and no, I'm not involved in his company, I just want more free toys!!;)

http://www.creationaudiolabs.com/index.html

15. dr.freud

dr.freud Member

I've been using the Creation Audio Labs MK 3:23 boost for the last 6 weeks or so. This is a very unique boost.

Think of it as pure boost; no EQ as some others. Think of it as a buffer from your guitar to you amp (or pedal board).

Sure, there is like 25 dB of gain; crystal clear and dead quiet, but what this guy does is breath life into old pickups, bring up the gain of the Fenders to match the Gibsons and match the impedance so that the loading effects of the volume control is minimized.

This thing just brought out so many new voices to my Strat it is unbelievable. Like taking a veil off the sound.

The packaging is robust and worthy of the sonic magic that remains bottled up inside.

16. Big Bob

Big Bob Guest

I've heard one.

It rocked. It was like the parting of the waters, the curtain was rent and sonic heaven pealed forth like a mighty trumpet. The wall of bad tone came tumbling down and my pick became a pillar of fire, shredding the wheat.

My band mate looked over in amazment and was instantly turned into a pillar of salt....luckily we had Tequila handy.

Bob:BEER

abnerfm likes this.
  17. metz420

metz420 Silver Supporting Member

Just got one the other day off the emporium and had a chance to try it out last night. Simply, this things is great. Dead quiet and no tone coloration. Brought out a lot of rich tone to my strat. I'm using it as "always on" to drive my Blues Deluxe. Pushes the amp nicely but, if I strum softer, cleans up as if it isn't on at all. Works well in front of a lot of other overdrives with great results too. I used is last night to push my Holy Fire (another superb pedal) with great results. I like the Holy Fire's overdrive at about 9-10 o'clock and the MK 4.23 pushes it a little bit more so I don't have to move the drive out of this range (seems to be the sweet spot for my blues tone). Stacked well with the drive(s) in my Nova System too. I'm sure it would work really nice with a Nova Drive (check this pedal out. The Parallel routing option is really innovative). The Creation Audio Lab folks are doing some great things - and the pedals look badass too! Love to see them do a fuzz or heavy distortion pedal next. They could call it "The Second Coming" and throw a nasty red LED behind their cool laser-cut enclosures. CAL guys, feel free to run with my idea, just send me a prototype in return :)

18. Jim S

Jim S Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

Steve Stevens uses one.

He's a tone king IMHO.

19. JoeyHarley

JoeyHarley Member

joe's been thinking about switching to one for a while. if it was in stereo i'd be sold lonnnnng ago.

20. Nickcha

Nickcha Member

I was glad to see your post mentioning the Nova System. I just ordered a Mk.4.23 and will be using it with a Nova System (w/ a JangleBox comp and a few drive pedals in front of it). I use the Nova w/ a stereo rig that I use old nonMV amps with (Plexis, AC30s), and I need to boost the signal. Where do you recommend placing the Mk.4.23, and how do you set up the Nova to react properly with it?

Thanks!