Anyone w/ ADA MP-1 experience?? Help!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by mvd18969, Jul 18, 2008.

1. mvd18969

mvd18969 Member

To start, I've always been a tube amp guy that prefers to plug straight into the amp to get my tones. I own some nice Mesa combos, a 5150 and a few other high gain Crate Stealth Series. Recently, I started playing with a band that focuses on 70s and 80s stuff. Everyone in the band is a really good and experienced player. The keyboard player (who runs the band) is a stickler for details. Not only do you have to know the exact parts cold, you have to cop the tone on the recordings. (Enter my dilemna). The other guitarist has a ton of gear and came to practice the other night w/ a rack loaded w/ an ADA MP-1 preamp, a few mulit effect units and EQ (no power amp). He basically gave me it for me to start using w/ the band. I have absolutely no experience using one of these. Back in my metal days, I played with a few guys who had them and I always thought they sounded awful. Anyway, I'm looking for a few pointers/suggestions (as I reluctantly need to use this to stay in the band).

1) What are some cheap alternatives for a power amp supply? I won't run this into any of my nice tube gear. I have a few 2x12 cabs so I am open to recommendations for power amps or cheap combos that they work well with.

2) Are there any resources/info available for getting up and running w/ some nice tone settings? are the presets any good?

I'm going to borrow a friends solid state crate combo to experiment with it. any suggestions/tricks, etc are much appreciated!!!

2. Jet Bycraft

Jet Bycraft Member

Start here...http://www.adadepot.com/

3. mvd18969

mvd18969 Member

bump for more info

4. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

An Alternate Reality in a Parallel Universe...
    As to cheap power amp, look for a used Marshall 8004 or 8008 Valvestate power amps. The 8004 is 40 watts per channel and the 8008 is 80 watts per channel. Before going that route, why don't you check it out into the loop return on one of your nice tube gear and as to reference look into ADADEPOT, it is probably the #1 site for ADA MP1 stuff. Also of note, there is a switch on the top of the unit, through the small rectangular hole that allows you to switch the output from +4db to -10db, so you can adjust for whatever application you have.

TheGrooveking

5. spentron

spentron Member

It's a preamp, and no bypass. But, it can go very close to tonally neutral, which allows it to be used in front of an amp, at least with a bypass switcher. The tube 1 channel is closest to bypass. The SS channel has a compressor which supposedly can be turned down to no effect, but it didn't seem so to me. It is a very good compressor though, or can be made to sound good using the tone controls, through a tube preamp it can be instant AC/DC.... The chorus is overpowerful at its minimum setting. I always seemed to get a clip LED, until I put harmonizer in the effects loop and adjusted its levels, which also seemed to sound better and allow more actual output.

At one point I was using a crazy MIDI pedal to send commands to different units, but later went back to my more basic pedal and switched 2 units at the same time, always locked together patchwise, but ditched the multi-effect with serious switching latency.

Of course if you really hate it all, you could probably get a bit of ground loop going somewhere in a big rack in front of your cranked up amp, and eventually have them ask you to stop using it. If the expectations are lower though you might find it a nice gift. Best ADA I've heard was in Fates Warning.

edit: OMG 5150 power amp you still get 2 tone controls in there and the beast power :JAM. I liked rack when I wanted 4-5 sounds a song real quick with volume control set up.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2008
  6. Brian Maestro

Brian Maestro Member

Forget about that ADA crap- get a Vox Valvtronix.

On the other hand. Are you sure you wanna play with guys the tell you what and hoe you should play and sound.JMHO