Anyone watching the Windows 10 announcement?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by John Coloccia, Jan 21, 2015.

1. John Coloccia

John Coloccia Cold Supporting Member

I wish they'd get on with it.

2. John Coloccia

Windows as a service? Ut oh. I was pretty much expecting the free upgrade from 8 and 7, but I'm glad they actually did it. They have to do something to recover from the 8 debacle.

3. Tylenol Jones

Tylenol Jones Member

How did you expect that? Windows has never been free, even to users of previous versions.

I checked it out out of curiosity and yes, it will be offered as a free upgrade! Nice.

4. John Coloccia

So far, like the interaction. I still don't like the ridiculous flat look that everyone is using these days, tossing out basic UI design concepts for the sake of cramming crap on tiny phone screens. Blah. But all in all, it all looks pretty reasonable!

5. John Coloccia

Because I'm certain they don't want a repeat of Windows Vista. They've been down that path before. I would have bet money that 8 to 10 would be free, just to try and kill 8 before it's out of control, and I was guessing 7 would be a free upgrade too if for no other reason than to encourage 7 users to stick with 7, and maybe even encourage new users to just stick with 7 until 10 is released.

8 is an albatross around their neck and has proven to be completely unhelpful in penetrating the tablet/phone market, so it's really just a drain on resources at this point.

IMHO.

6. John Coloccia

I love what I'm watching right now, with the document markup. Now we're really talking. I wonder how they've implemented it? If there's some generic container that allows all developers to access this, that would be GREAT!! I'd love to be able to scribble notes on anything I see. I usually have to make a printout, and then scribble on that.

It's that sort of functionality that would really make me take a close look at tablets as a work device in my shop instead of an expensive movie player.

7. Tylenol Jones

Tylenol Jones Member

Doesn't make any sense. There was Windows ME which was despised heavily by everybody (including myself). Microsoft never did anything like this before in its history regardless of the quality of the product.

Don't think I quite believe you that you were expecting it to be free but whatever. Glad they did it. Whether it's an actual upgrade or not remains to be seen.

8. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

So are they giving away a free Elton John album or something? :waiting

9. ontariomaximus

ontariomaximus Member

Perhaps it's like the Chickenfoot III record.

10. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    8.1 is fine with me .... it's a heck of a lot faster than 7 :dunno I don't use the aps and they pretty much just stay out of the way :red

11. Tylenol Jones

Tylenol Jones Member

Apparently not.

12. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

I dunno... I can't point to a specific quote or announcement, but I also expected a free or nearly free path from 8/8.1 to 10. And the 7 to 10 path makes sense too, especially given their new business model.

13. the_guitarboy

the_guitarboy Member

14. John Coloccia

Yeah, I didn't think I was being like "super-analyst" or something.

I have to say that overall, assuming they don't completely screw this up between now and the release, I kind of like what I'm seeing. It's not perfect by any means, I don't really like the cartoonish look, and there's plenty of gimicky stuff in there. I don't know how anyone else feels, but I feel things like Siri and Cortana are mostly just novelties at the moment. It's cute that they work...sometimes...but after a few minutes you just want to get a task done and you never use it again. I can't recall ever seeing anyone use these features other than to make the occasional hands free call.

But I had a Nokia phone in Taiwan that could do that in 1998, so it's hardly a big deal.

I really do hope that markup thing gets extended as a general thing you can do anywhere at anytime, or at least something that developers have an API for so they can enable it and do something intelligent with it in a standard way. I've been wanting something like that for many, many years. Personally, I also want to be able to scribble notes on my desktop, just like a real desktop with a pad on it....or maybe even have a calendar desktop, with a way to scribble notes, see appointments, etc.

15. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

The notes part is cool.

As for Cortana, I do see some great uses for this. Think about being able to EASILY and repeatably add tasks to your to-do list, appointments to your calendar, update your shopping list, etc, all without screwing around flipping through multiple pages of apps. Many of us make our phones do a lot of things for us today, but the phones don't do it as easily as they should.

16. jammybastard

jammybastard "I'm losing my edge, but I was there..."

Read the fine print.

If you were watching you would have heard that there are some caveats to this "free" deal, not the least of which—as I understand it—is that those who agree to this upgrade must also agree to let their PCs and devices be kept up-to-date by Microsoft going forward.

As described by Microsoft, Windows 10 will be free for customers running Windows 7, Windows 8.1, and Windows Phone 8.1, albeit only during the first year of Windows 10’s life cycle. So it’s a promotional offer designed to get as many people as possible upgraded to the new OS version.

But consider this line: “Once a Windows device is upgraded to Windows 10, we will continue to keep it current for the supported lifetime of the device – at no additional charge.” This suggests to me that keeping Windows 10 up-to-date going forward is not optional. That in order to get this offer—or perhaps just to get Windows 10 as a consumer, regardless—will require you to let Microsoft keep your system up to date.

So you freewheeling "I Don't Believe in Upgrading/Patching! Who needs security!" types will now be force to let MS control Windows updates or you can't have Win10 for free.
    I'm guessing you won't like that.
    (BTW - that's what Apple does.)

Technically, this should work a lot like Office 365, and with the same exclusions for businesses. Indeed, businesses are free (ahem) to continue moving forward with existing licensing schemes and controlling updates if they prefer.

All you folks who scream daily about Apple and their hardware/software/practices are now about to find out how it feels when MS does the same thing.
    Sure you will still be able to buy or build a cheap PC but to run Windows and use MS software & services is going to come with a price.

So who wants to discuss the invasive nature of "Cortana" and how MS described it as being "like another member of your family"?

:hide

17. krusty1053

krusty1053 Member

Comes pre-installed, and if you try to delete it, it just downloads again.

18. John Coloccia

Yeah, and if you go back to the beginning of the speech, I commented "Ut oh" when they said they were looking at Windows as a service. We'll see how that shakes out and what their licensing will look like moving forward.

19. muffinman

muffinman Member

I'm confused...I've had a macbook pro for about a year and a half, and all the OSX upgrades for Mavericks and Yosemite have been free and optional. I have several coworkers and friends still using Mavericks and several like me who jumped to Yosemite, but that was our decision. Are you saying that the Apple problem is that in order to get the OS you have to have the hardware? I'm not seeing how that's similar to MS forcing updates without your knowledge/permission.

20. bluwoodsman

bluwoodsman Member

I'm concerned by the plaudits for the ability to "write notes". So help me out.

For the vast majority of us who MS has indoctrinated over the years--starting with DOS and moving to mouse click and menu systems--do we have an interface that will look and act at all familiar in windows 10? Put it another way--if it's still jumping into the touchscreen system that most of us want nothing to do with for our computers--is there a simple/easy separate interface that we can use in windows 10 to bypass all that?

Some of us are at the point where if they don't understand this type of customer and we are forced to move on, we WILL look at non-MS Os's!