• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!
  • If you are seeing this, you are on the new TGP servers. Bear with us as we work out any issues related to the move. The end result should be a far better snappier experience on TGP. *Notice: You can close this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner.

Anyone wish metal/rock was popular in the United States like it used to be in the 80's early 90's?

johnsav

Go Euro, young man!
You will find a genre you like and along the way you'll hear a lot of great new music.

GibsonGeek

... if you play any metal nowadays on a guitar you get people yelling at you saying "is that even supposed to be music?"
I’ll say the same thing as I said in the same thread from a few weeks back, who are these people yelling at you?

I mean, I totally get it if you’re playing some metal in a library setting, at a funeral, during a dental checkup, or even just chillin at the movies. Otherwise rock on.

mos6507

metal has become very, very dark, and so rapid-fire that is is very hard for the average person to listen to. Add in the "cookie monster" vocals, and you have run all of the girls out of the room.
This. Metal became a victim of an aural arms-race or olympics. More distortion, growlier vocals, faster double-bass runs, lower tunings, more and more random and atonal riffs. It was all in the belief that more is better. Well, to my ears metal "maxed out" in the mid 80s and nothing that's happened since has made it better, just harsher to the ears.

Metalwolf

This. Metal became a victim of an aural arms-race or olympics. More distortion, growlier vocals, faster double-bass runs, lower tunings, more and more random and atonal riffs. It was all in the belief that more is better. Well, to my ears metal "maxed out" in the mid 80s and nothing that's happened since has made it better, just harsher to the ears.
There been various sub genres in metal.

Like Melodic death metal(Amon Amarth,Ensiferum)

Power metal(blind guardian,rhapsody of fire,Helloween,Sabaton)

Black metal(bathory,burzum,mayhem,dimmu borgir,Immortal)

death metal(cannibal corpse)

and such.

jgraham

This is my line of thinking as well. Believe me, my ears are open... but everytime i hear some new "extreme" vocal, I can't help think "Sepultura and Entombed did this in the 80's... and did it better". Yeah I sound like an old guy.

What I found I gravitated toward turned out to be more of the punk genre... thrash punk? progressive punk? Propagandhi to be precise. All the speed and aggression, intricate guitar (yeah!), intelligent lyrics, and MELODIES. Way more going on in that stuff than most metal tunes. It keeps my attention anyway. YMMV.

But back to the OP's point - not sure if you were there in the 80's or not, but most of the bands I went to see then (thrash) are playing bigger venues today (ok well before Covid but that goes without saying).

BraveHeart

I mean in the United States at the 80's early 90's you had bands like Metallica,Megadeth,Iron Maiden,Queensryrche,Judas Priest and such selling out arenas.

But nowadays you get a soundguy telling you that you are too loud and telling you to turn down, when back in the 80's and early 90's soundguys allowed people to play loud, and if you play any metal nowadays on a guitar you get people yelling at you saying "is that even supposed to be music?"

But in Europe,South America,Japan and such, you get these bands still playing and selling out arenas and many people in places like Sweden treating it as their way of life.

While in the United States, it's all about pop and rap music.
I disagree.... just look at the album charts....that's the truth....not the single charts....

twotone

if you play any metal nowadays on a guitar you get people yelling at you saying "is that even supposed to be music?"
To me it doesn't sound musical if the bass strings are tuned down, there is too much distortion, scooped mids, and the guitarists are chugging away.

mos6507

To me it doesn't sound musical if the bass strings are tuned down, there is too much distortion, scooped mids, and the guitarists are chugging away.
I think "modern metal" (you know, 8-string djenty type stuff) has sort of become the equivalent of rap in the sense that there are really no notes per se, just rhythm. The guitar is essentially "rapping" with power-chords. I suppose you could rationalize that and say it's still a valid musical statement but I was never down with rap and I'm not down with the djenty stuff. The cookie monster vocals are also for all intents and purposes rap. I prefer operatic metal singing ala Dio, Dickinson, Halford, etc...

I also laugh when I watch those pickup or FX review videos on Youtube when they layer on so much distortion. Cork-sniffing is a joke when you max out distortion into a uniform wash of noise.

OJT1212

Yup.

I think Gene Simmons said it best, it's part of the fans wanting free stuff and pirating it which is wrong,most people nowadays feel that buying music is outdated and much better to download the music. Me i try to buy cds of bands i listen to whenever possible. And partly the fault of bands who didn't want to show off their houses,fast cars and women vs rappers who do that kind of stuff and caused rockstars to look like ordinary people. Plus with no one buying albums, means bands don't get money,which means that tour support is out the window,which means record labels don't want to take a risk on music that may or may not sell.
I'll admit I haven't bought a cd in ten years and I don't plan on it. I have a Spotify and Amazon Music subscriptions. Makes me happy.

Trending Topics