Anyone with strat pickups...what heights?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by StompBoxBlues, Oct 14, 2005.

1. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I have some Seymour Duncan pickups on my strat. I don't remember the model, but I just generally would like to hear from anyone about the heights of their Strat pickups, especially if they are SD...

Height per pickup (bridge, middle, neck) from bottom of the 6th and 1st strings when pressed at the last fret to the pole pieces?

Any takers (givers?). I just need to hear some measurements to figure out if I am way out of whack (like to be IN whack) or not.

Thanks!

2. CharlieNC

CharlieNC Member

what's up man? i liked your post on the "i don't need a tuner" thread... he he he

anyway, i have SD Antiquity II's and here are my pickups heights and this is a little complicated ;)

neck, middle, and bridge: 1/8" on the bass side, 3/32" on the treble side.

these are factory specs for pickups on Fender Stratocasters. occasionally i'll think i hear something weird and start to tweak, but i never stray far from those measurements and more often than not find myself coming back to them because I can't find anything else that sounds any better.

cool,
    charlie

3. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

sorry about posting in the wrong forum..I should have done this in the guitar one, but thanks! But do you mean that you have all three pickups at the same height? I thought that was strange...that normall the bridge is highest, middle next highest, and neck lowest.

moderator, could you possibly move this thread to the right group?

Sorry!

4. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

In my experience, use your ears and NOT a ruler. Every guitar is different and a little tweak of the pickup height can make a big difference. On a Strat, Fender's "specs" never sounded quite right to me.

5. CharlieNC

CharlieNC Member

check this out:

when you depress the strings at the last fret, it doesn't make a perfectly straight line to the bridge. it still travels at an angle, giving you different pickup heights even though you use the same measurements. make sense?

6. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

YEAH...I didn't think about that. Excellent point!

THanks!

7. Seegs

Seegs Member

I have the SD Antiquities and have them really low...

I usually adjust them by ear and then measure...

I use my picks to measure...1 pick height = about 2mm

if I lay the pick on the pickguard against the pickup the N=1 pick height the M= 1.5 pick heights and the B=2 pick heights...the bass side is slightly...maybe one turn lower than the treble side...

Chow,
    Seegs

8. pfrischmann

pfrischmann Member

I will seconf that,
    Peter Florence of voodoo pickups has a method on his website for toing this. It made all the difference. Everyone who pivks up my strat seems impressed with the tone after I dialed it in with my ears.

9. frank62

frank62 Member

i don't think there is any best setting. i move them around for different strings, amps, and rooms.

10. CharlieNC

CharlieNC Member

these points are extremely valid guys and obviously everybody has their own preference as to the exact location of pickups heights but...

if you don't have a clue where to start, as happens sometimes when you start messing around with stuff, the factory specs are not a bad place to start.

11. j_hotch

j_hotch Member

A good trick I picked up somewhere:

Fret the low E string at the highest fret on your fretboard.

Use a US nickel as a gauge and raise the low E side of the pickup so that the nickle barely touches the bottom of the string. Do this for each pickup.

Just repeat this process using the high E string for the other side of the pickup.

It was my understanding that this was a quick-and-dirty method that the Fender factory guys would use to set up pickup heights.