Anyone working w/HotLicks reissues on DVD?

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by drolling, Sep 12, 2006.

1. drolling

drolling Member

First off, they're much cheaper than they were when originally produced on VHS tape.

More importantly, they've added a great new feature; You can loop all examples at half speed! Pitch remains unchanged, so it's a lot more fun than listening to a 33 rpm record at 16!!

I suppose I'll get my favorites again, but for now, I picked up one I'd never seen before; Jimmy Bruno's "No Nonsense Jazz Guitar".

He's obviously a better teacher than some of the rock'n'roll players in the series, and he's developed his own 'system' of classifying scales, arpeggios, etc..

I've only watched about 10 minutes worth, but I think I've already learned a couple of things..

2. Swain

Swain Member

My friend let me check out "Strictly Rhythm" by Danny Gatton. The DVD also has a cool chord chart, that lets you see the fingering of every chord Danny plays. Nice, for a quick reference. And the 1/2 speed function, is really helpful.

3. gennation

gennation Member

That Bruno one is supposed to be really good. I have it coming on Netflix.

BTW, Netflix has just about every Instructional video for rent. They even have George Benson's.They don't have the John Mclaughlin DVD set though :(

4. drolling

drolling Member

I've pretty much worn out Telemaster, the first one he did for Arlen. I was able to get a signed copy from the original batch of 500, but I guess I'll be retiring it to the archives now that it's finally available on DVD.

Really looking forward to picking up Brent Mason's "Nashville Chops & Western Swing" on DVD - That half-speed function'll really come in handy for the country-shred stuff he's so good at. Plus, he never got paid the first time around (When Arlen's wife, who ran the financial end, was tragically killed, the business fell apart) so hopefully the new company'll make it right.

Coolest thing is, I wasn't even looking for music related stuff when I discovered these DVDs. Found them in the documentary section of the local video shop.

Think I'm going back to get Eric Johnson's 'Art of Electric Guitar' later today!

5. bluesmain

bluesmain Member

I want the Ronnie Earl one! Anyone?

Johnny>>

6. drolling

drolling Member

Good idea Johnny! I've got the tape and it's cool. When he's noodling around on an unplugged strat - it's a pretty good argument for the "Tone-is-in-the-hands" theorists..

7. Tom Gross

Tom Gross Supporting Member

Ronnie had the flu durig the taping - like a 102 fever. He wanted to back out, but Arlen talked him into it.
    Great video.

8. Mark C

Mark C Member

I have the Brent Mason - it's really good. I've learned some cool licks already. Also have the Danny Gatton ones, but I've only watched them once, enough to drop my jaw to the floor. I'll get around to them after I've gotten a little further with the Brent Mason.

9. photoguy

photoguy Member

Boy am I glad I found this thread! I've always wanted to get the Telemasters DVD, but didn't really know much about them. Is it safe to assume that all of the DVD's have the new loop feature? I wonder if when they converted from VHS to DVD that this was added...I've only seen them listed on ebay, but without any mention of the half speed function.

10. Brick

Brick Member

The Rockabilly Greats (title?) video I got from Netflix did not include the TAB. There was tab on the lower thirds but the contrast was terrible so it was pretty usless. I was able to pickup some things but also having the TAB would have been better.

÷

11. lhallam

lhallam Member

I've got:

Eric Johnson
    Danny Gatton Rhythm
    Warren Haynes
    Scotty Anderson

Have viewed all of them and taken tidbits out of each.

Some are a bit noodly without a lot of structure or pre-planned lessons. The Anderson one being the most noodly.

However with the slow down function and versatility of DVD, the lack of structure doesn't really matter. With the exception of the Haynes lesson which is pretty well thought-out, most of these require intermediate to advanced knowledge.

12. soulohio

soulohio Member

great thread...i just joined Netfix and I have a stefan grossman disc and a heavy metal riffs disc on it's way...now Netfix needs to have a Jimmy Page disc!

13. SouthernShred

SouthernShred Silver Supporting Member

I just wish Netflix had the tab available...

14. guitarmanuk

guitarmanuk Member

The Andy Summers one turned up in the mail today. I have only watched the first 10 minutes or so, but I think it is going to be good. I had to get it from the USA to get a reasonable price, we really get ripped off in the UK. I saw one isted for about £27 in the UK wheras the one from the USA cost me £9 delivered. Had to wait 12 days but it looks like it was worth it.

15. drolling

drolling Member

Yeah - Seems that all tabbed examples are included in the section that can be slowed down & looped.

Just went back for Eric Johnson's 'Total Electric Guitar' :AOK

16. fyrwyr

fyrwyr Member

Hopefully the first Steve Morse and Carl Verheyen video's are on DVD now too! Copped some major licks from those videos!

17. bluesmain

bluesmain Member

18. bluesmain

bluesmain Member

19. drolling

drolling Member

These things are like potato chips.. Keep goin back for more.

The new distributor; www.musicsales.com has zero information about these vids on their website, so I checked out Amazon.ca - No sign of Morse or Verheyen yet, but I'm hoping they'll rerelease all of them eventually. While I was there, I ordered the last copy of Gatton's 'Strictly Rhythm':RoCkIn

How's the Carl Verheyen tape? He's one of my favorite players:AOK

****EDIT*** Just checked Amazon USA; They've got a few more than the canadian site, but no sign of Steve or Carl.

BTW, I think it bears mentioning that the DVD reissues have new intros done by players like Woody Mann & Jeff Golub. Really beats the original K-Tell style hard-sell approach w/spinning graphics and an obnoxious announcer's speil overdubbed onto a loop of *hard-rock* wanking.. HUGE IMPROVEMENT

20. Sparky6string

Sparky6string Member

I'm about to start buying these. Seems a good starting point is the Brent Mason one? I love his style.