anything better than a Grand Orbiter?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ryandfl, Jan 24, 2015.

1. ryandfl

ryandfl Supporting Member

I recently decided I could use a phaser. I've listened to a decent number of demos and the only thing that has really impressed me, mostly for lushness, organic sound and non-goofiness, is -

The Grand Orbiter

Anything else I should consider, in that sort of ballpark?

My goal is some funky / trippy swirl and softness, but nothing over the top cheesy or fast.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
  2. ryandfl

I'm going to give this one bump before just buying the thing.

3. The Villano Dude

The Villano Dude Member

I have yet to try the Orbiter but I think Blackout Effectors Sibling is also really good.

I also like the Small Stone + Analogman mod. I hear the Orbiter is great though so probably not a bad idea to check it out.

4. ShadeOGreen

ShadeOGreen Member

I own the grand orbiter and it has cured my desire to own any other phasers. I can't imagine needing any phase sound that this pedal can't make.

5. muletrane

muletrane Supporting Member

6. mowatsmith

mowatsmith Member

While I dug the Orbiter, the Chase Bliss Wombtone blew me away. Really enjoy some of the Subdecay offerings, too.

7. popvulture

popvulture Member

I'll be the odd man out here and say that I have a vintage script Phase 100 that's cured my own desire for any other phasers. Plenty of options out there indeed sound pretty damn cheesy, and this thing just doesn't do that to my ears. Especially fond of it with the far right waveform setting (what is that... large wave, phasing out? I don't know - the diagrams just look cool. Play with them), very low rate.

I'm sure you couldn't go wrong with an EQD, though.

8. ryandfl

I just checked out the Wombtone. Too much LFO sound for me. Its like there is...posisitve and negative resonance. Or something.

The Phase 100 does sound good, but...

Grand Orbiter is looking like a soon purchase.

9. rotlung

rotlung Member

I own a handful of phasers, nothing too fancy really, but the Grand Orbiter is my favorite. What's better? Maybe the Moog, but it's huge and around 300 bucks.

10. cubistguitar

cubistguitar Member

Grand Orbiter is a big winner, love mine.

11. shanetram

shanetram Member

I had the orbiter and it was damn good, but I found the sibling easier to dial in. YMMV.

12. BrandonAy

BrandonAy Member

Bump for interest.

I bought a Sibling to satiate my Small Stone needs, in addition to thinking the ring-mod tones were cool. Having since bought a ring-mod, I'm starting to hate the subtlety of the Sibling. I'll probably wait for the new EHX Bad Stone, but my love of everything EQD may force me to grab a Grand Orbiter as well.

13. ryandfl

I appreciate everyone's feedback. Looks like the Grand Orbiter is a safe buy.

14. bobcunningham

bobcunningham Member

I don't have much experience with phasers; I used to own a vintage Fender Phaser which was pretty neat though. But I just wanna say what we already know: Earthquaker Devices products are fantastic.

15. Flatscan

Flatscan Supporting Member

Empress Phaser is great and possibly smaller. EQD stuff is also great though.

16. Imola82

Imola82 Member

I demo'd a few Phaser's at CME and the Grand Orbiter was it for me. CME had a used one in the previous larger casing and I ended up with that. I love it.

Probably should've ponied up for the new V2, just to have the smaller enclosure and additional RE for my board, but not a huge deal.

17. eflatminor

eflatminor Member

I would agree, it's safe, always musical. For my straight ahead music board, it would be my choice.

On my ambient/out there board, I went with Subdecay.