ANYTHING close to a vintage MXR micro amp?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Cary Chilton, Mar 30, 2008.

1. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

I have tried most boosts out there, boteek and vintage -nothing seems to have the huge output, clarity and total full frequency response of the microamp. Has anyone found a substitute? I am guess it is a rack effect?

2. steinwand

steinwand Member

for full frequency, clarity and huge output try the MI Audio Boost N Buff

3. theanalogdream

theanalogdream Supporting Member

4. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

The Micro Amp has been working for me for a long time and I too was looking for a modern replacement as far as single knob clean boosts.

Here are some great choices that I have been through:
    • Lizard Leg Effects Flying Dragon - Great pedal and way underrated. I like it because it gives true volume boosts with no coloration at all. Can actually be used as a cut too with no tone loss, a great feature never mentioned.
    • Creation Audio MK.4.23 Boost - Very clean boost that adds clarity. Works very well for me as a post volume boosts after Drive pedals and in the FX loops. Does seem to add a little presence.
    • Zvex SHO - Great boost that adds a shimmer and sparkle. I love it for the front end. Great for cleaning and shinning up the front end of a long pedal chain, especially when using hummers. I didn't care for it running as an end of the chain boost.
    Looking to try:
    • Keeley Katana
    • Moollon Signal Boost

5. rickenbackerkid

rickenbackerkid Member

+35.

Great little stomp, esp. with 18volts - gets even cleaner than when run on 9.

6. Zillie

Zillie Member

from what i know Z.Vex Super Hard On and Catalinbread Super Chili Picoso are considered boutique Micro Amp versions, so they might be the closest

7. thisfire

thisfire Supporting Member

I used a MXR Micro Amp for awhile (my first boost, and I loved it). Since then I've relied on a Catalinbread Super Chile Picoso, which I liked more, and a BJF Red Rooster, which I like the most :). Don't be confused by the name...the Red Rooster is not a treble booster, it's a full boost, and probably the most organic/full one I've heard to date. It almost has TOO much output. The price is a little bit scammy, but it's a freaking awesome pedal.

I had a SHO for awhile and it sounded too trebly/gritty to my ears. I dunno, though the Micro Amp will always be something special, it colored my tone and boosted the mids a bit too much for me, a la Klon. Still a great pedal, I might end up with another one some day...

8. sandman

sandman Member

9. Cary Chilton

Hey Sniper, thanks. I had the George Lynch TMB which has 2 treble boosts, and the katana boost with an integrated MR Scary. With the Mr Scary mode, in hind sight, I would have to say that the GL TMB got close to what the vintage microamp does, except for that the GL TMB made my plexi sound a little more sterile, (not immediately noticable either).

SHO is very fun and has that vibe, but it also has that impedance thing going on and sometimes does funny things to the tone, esp with other pedals.

The Microamp, until really cranked is a pretty pure boost, very Klon-ish, imo, in the way that as you crank it it adds a little something. The Klon adds more lower mids and rolls some highs and the microamp adds a little more bass, highs and some bite. The Microamp seems to retain all the same complex harmonics your original sound has better than the Klon, imo.

What about the catlinbread picasso boost(s)? Quite close? Does Catlinbread still make the sangrado?

10. Cary Chilton

As I have written twice, the Katana isn't as good

11. erksin

erksin Member

The SCP isn't opamp based like the Micro Amp.

12. erksin

erksin Member

The Super Chili Picoso has the Sagrado boost tone built-in now (the clean/fat switch).

The Serrano Picoso mini pedal is basically the same as the SCP minus the Fat option.

13. thisfire

thisfire Supporting Member

Yep yep, and I've said it a million times before, but the SCP is absolutely the best boost for the money...and definitely one of the best boosts overall.

14. Cary Chilton

Kewl! I am definitely going to test out the SCP!

15. Phineas

Phineas Member

+1 on the Catalinbread SCP.

Question: do you guys recommend putting the buffered SCP in the beginning of a long chain of pedals BUT AFTER any other weak buffered pedals (ie boss etc...)..

16. Catoogie

Catoogie Senior Member

So why not just go with a Microamp? You just said it yourself, not seems to have it's qualities....the ones you're looking for. I don't get it. It exists and it's what you want. Too inexpensive and obvious for you?

17. Cary Chilton

Cat-man-oogie, don't assume too much friend. I have the microamp and I like it. It DOES amaze me that I haven't found any other boost that comes close, not even my previous 450 usd ptp GL TMB. Just find it hard to believe that many of the booteek makers haven't been as successful to make a truly transparent boost, with that much output. I am sure there has got to be one.

18. Catoogie

Catoogie Senior Member

I don't think I'm assuming too much, you love a lot of qualities about the Microamp and seem to have a problem finding anything that comes close. At least that's what I gathered from your post.

It seems I constantly see people that want to know about Tube Screamer-type pedals or AC-30-type amps or this or that.....I don't get it. You want a Tube Screamer-type pedal.......get a Tube Screamer....they're available and they're cheap and the big cats still use them. Same goes for the microamp, you like it, you have one...they're still being made and they're cheaper than any boutique pedal. I don't know, just me and my opinion. Seems like an easy decision but what do I know. Good luck with your search.

19. Cary Chilton

That is great Anti-GAS advice. If it ain't broke.... true. However, I am not selling anything, just wonder if there was a REAL clone or substitute. Vintage stuff is vintage and not easy to double up on.

20. JUSTJOB

JUSTJOB Member

I really think the micro amp is "meh" at best, and I think it lacks clarity, thats why I gave it away years ago. My needs were much better served with the Keeley Katana, but if you dig the micro amp then just enjoy it, play it, and save your coin. But for me there simply is no comparison. YMMV.
    Best Regards!