Anything NOT to like about Dr Z's?

jtw

The reason I did it is because many of their amp designs are kind of similar, Clubman = KT45, Invasion = DC30, Lightening = Carmen Ghia. Not exact but pretty close in many ways. They are not 2x the price though, a Clubman new is $2200, a KT45 is probably around $1400.
People sure have different ears, that's for sure. I had a '93 Clubman at the same time my roommate had a KT45 and they sounded NOTHING alike. I have a Ghia now and have owned a Lightning, and again neither sounded alike to me.

I think it's pretty pointless to say one of these brands is "better" than the other. I have owned and enjoy both. I still have my Ghia. Have sold my Matchless stuff. That's just the side of the fence I'm on right now and it's serving me well. I'll bet money that I'll own another Matchless at some point though.

radcliff

When I got my Matchless, I sold my Z....but Z's are GREAT amps. And they have a great support base and user forum for any questions you might have.

Flyin' Brian

Silver Supporting Member
The price! Ba-dum-bump!

Thank you! I'll be here all week!
Carmen Ghia and Maz Jr. here. I have to pile on here as well. They're the best bang for the buck of any point to point amp made. Construction is flawless and, while the overdrive sound is fairly one trick, it's a fabulous trick.

Guinness Lad

People sure have different ears, that's for sure. I had a '93 Clubman at the same time my roommate had a KT45 and they sounded NOTHING alike. I have a Ghia now and have owned a Lightning, and again neither sounded alike to me.

I think it's pretty pointless to say one of these brands is "better" than the other. I have owned and enjoy both. I still have my Ghia. Have sold my Matchless stuff. That's just the side of the fence I'm on right now and it's serving me well. I'll bet money that I'll own another Matchless at some point though.
The reason was circuit topology not actual sound. Some guys want a ef86 with a el84 others want something else. The Dr.Z Studio Deluxe was my first boutique amp and I really liked it except for the reverb hum which I mentioned earlier.

Millo 3.1

Guys: those of you who liked the RxES and Z28--can these have band-loud pristine cleans for small, mediumish clubs? Think R&B, funky stuff, soul, rock.

spectreman

The other thing, which some might consider a negative & others a positive, is that due to the short signal path, they are VERY responsive amps. They don't hide or mask sloppy playing, they amplify it. Garbage in = garbage out but louder, magic in = magic out but louder.

Very true....I've had my Maz Jr for about three years and it took a little bit of time getting used to because of this (this was my first nice amp...heretofore I had usually spent the money on pedals and guitars to dial in my sound).

I had to strip down my pedalboard and essentially start from scratch and really focus on my touch....After three years, this has made me a much better player even though I have less time to practice.

I have no complaints, but then again I have no reference point...this is the nicest amp I have played through . :drink

BadAssBill

Gold Supporting Member
I've tried a few of them, and they just aren't for me. Everyone who likes them seems to be very loyal so I think, like all amps, its an individual decision.

Brien

I owned a Maz Jr. for a while. It was a good amp, but not a great amp for me. Many people have had problems with the tolex peeling, but that's cosmetic.

arniez

Silver Supporting Member
Guys: those of you who liked the RxES and Z28--can these have band-loud pristine cleans for small, mediumish clubs? Think R&B, funky stuff, soul, rock.
The Z28 certainly can esp. with an efficient acinet like the Z 4x10 cab.
ArnieZ

I own a Carmen Ghia head and a Mini Z head. I use them through a Dr Z 1x12 cab with an Alnico Blue speaker.

That's all I ever play these days.

There are other great amp manufacturers out there - Carr, Swart among many others - but my Dr Z amps are all I want to play at this stage.

jtw

The reason was circuit topology not actual sound. Some guys want a ef86 with a el84 others want something else. The Dr.Z Studio Deluxe was my first boutique amp and I really liked it except for the reverb hum which I mentioned earlier.
Fair enough :AOK

Dave LaP

I'm struggling to find anything -ve said about Dr Z amps. Are everyone's experiences here as positive?

Maz Jr and RX Jr seem to be very highly rated from what I can tell.....there's almost too many models to choose from :-/

Cheers
Jordan
Very little to dislike about Z amps. Their are dynamite.
However, I don't care for the reverb in the MAZ series. Too noisy (mine and my buddy's hummed the more you turned it up) and it was just dead sounding. I actually preferred the sound of my RV-3 and used that instead.

tele_jas

Nothing negative about Z's and I've owned 6 over the last 2 year.... currently have 2, one of which I've had for close to a year and a half and LOVE to this day.

bobotwt

Silver Supporting Member
I have honestly tried for a while to like them but they're just not for me. I hear people play them and they sound great. But there is something about the way they feel and respond to playing. Its like they pop you in the face. It does have a cool harmonic thing going on but I think whatever electronic "mojo" he's applying to the circuit has an effect on the immediacy and response of the amps feel. Some like it. I tried to but prefer others. IMHO Reinhardt amps feel better and sound just as good for just a hair more $.

Josh

Last edited:

jerrymc1966

Silver Supporting Member
I have owned the Carmen, Invasion, Galaxie, 66 all bright and barky, but not in a good way. I saw some one comparing a Galaxie to a Clubman. The Matchless Clubs the Z into the next Galaxie. Tolex always seems to un-ravel on the Z stuff too. It's a nice wired amp for a good price though!

Powderfinger

Platinum Supporting Member
I really love my Maz 18. I own Two Rock, Fargen, Carr, Tone King, Bruno, Allen, Goodsell and others and lately all I play is the Dr. Z.

Last edited:

Trending Topics