Anything sound similar to the Dyna Red for $150 or so?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by meterman, May 30, 2008.

1. meterman

meterman Member

I'm looking for a med-high gainer for my small pedal board that fills the same role as my Dyna Red does on my main board, sitting between TIM and a fuzz in terms of gain. Been looking at BB Preamp, Barber Small Fry, any others worth looking at?? Would love to get another BJF but need to keep the price low at this time....

Thanks

2. Rock72

Rock72 Member

Have you checked out the Direct Drive from Barber?? Another ones I would check out is Lovekraft's Mojo Drive or Chupacabra. Both have three-way toggle switches, one of the settings remniscent of 'Marshall-like' tones. The Chupacabra has more gain on tap and is really a great great peda. I would probably go for either the Chupacabra or the Direct Drive (in that order), both which can be had for less than $150 on the Emporium.

I've had all of the above mentioned pedals as well as the BJF DRD.

3. mattmccloskey

mattmccloskey Supporting Member

both the bb preamp and small fry sound very different from the dyna-red. Both are more compressed sounding and have a softer attack, and sound like op-amp pedals.
    I would look for something transistor-based (mosfet, jfet,etc.) to get closer to the dyna-red character. Perhaps one of the menatone pedals used would be in that price range, like a King Of the Brits. It has the crunchiness of the DRD and is amp-like in the manner of the DRD.

4. carltonh

carltonh Member

Check out the BTMB Six of Swords and Jzucker's Youtube demo. The demo doesn't get exactly that sound, but I bet it can be dialed in pretty close.

5. meterman

meterman Member

thanks for the info guys, keep it coming

Matt, thanks, that's exactly what I'm NOT looking for! :) I had a Direct Drive SS and found that while it could sound good it was very compressed and sounded more like a pedal. I use the Dyna Red with gain usually below noon for an amplike, Allman Bros style lead sound and I love the way it feels and also doesn't obscure the sound of the guitar. Closest thing I've had is a pre-Voice knob Mosferatu that was pretty nice, maybe I should check one of those out again...

6. meterman

meterman Member

Yeah that one looks cool, anybody know if it's a Mosfet based design? Some of the tones sure sound like it...

7. meterman

meterman Member

Thanks I will check those out, heard good things...

8. meterman

meterman Member

OK guys, what about the Jetter Gain Stages, Red Purple or Gold, any of them have the amplike feel and dynamics of the Dyna Red??

Thanks!

9. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

:munch

10. carltonh

carltonh Member

You can get a Six of Swords to sound pretty similar.