Anything to beat the Zoom MultiStomp MS-50/MS-70/MS-100 series?

Phosphenetre

The same range of effects (I can forgo the amps, cabs and drives if need be, but need the delays, reverbs, modulation etc), the same usability (can create patches with MULTIPLE effects simultaneously active, not just one effect at a time), the same small (if not single-pedal) form factor and equivalent or better-sounding models?

I own a G3 at present, and while the G3n looks promising, it's too big for my board now, and I want to replace it with either an MS-100/MS-70, or something better in that form factor.

Related question - anyone know if an update to the MultiStomp series is upcoming?

Guitar1969

I own a Zoom G5n and an MS-70CDR. Nothing beats the MS-70CDR for effect options, sound and quality at that price. The G5n/G3n do not have most of the delays/reverbs/chorus that at on the CDR, not do the BT stomps either.

Last edited:

Tmidiman

I have a G5 and an MS-100BT. I can't get a G5n, because 2 amps that I use are not there along with and effect that is missing some controls. If they fix it I'll be there.

Now maybe, maybe, if they do an MS-100BTn I'd consider jumping in, but that's only if they offer more amps and effects to purchase.

chrisjnyc

Plenty of FX only options, but nothing can compare to the size and price point of the Zoom MS-100\70CDR.

Eventide H9
Strymon Big Sky (reverb only)
Digitech istomp (one FX at a time)
Boss GT1
Line 6 M9

-Empire

H9 is the only thing that will beat it for fx variety, quality, and physical size, but not in that price range.

MJ Slaughter

Silver Supporting Member
On the MS-70CDR will the Memory list stay open or does it close after a while? I'm trying to determine if this could be used at gigs to cycle through just a few presets.

liordino

On the MS-70CDR will the Memory list stay open or does it close after a while? I'm trying to determine if this could be used at gigs to cycle through just a few presets.
I didn't understand what you meant with the memory list closing, but yes, it is possible to use it at gigs by cycling through presets. It certainly worked out for me.

chrisjnyc

The H9 can't do multiple simultaneous effects in a "patch" though, can it?

Yes and no, some of the H9 algos have multiple FX in them. You can find a delay and verb, trem and verb etc... but you cant run 2 different algos at the same time.

Check out the manual, you can run in preset mode or on\off mode. The trouble with the MS-100\70CDR is that it is almost too small. You have to decide what feature you are going to use (preset mode, tuner, on\off, tap tempo) and then you would have to bend down to change this every time by hand. The one cool feature with the preset mode, is that you can choose how many presets it will cycle thru. You could setup presets A,B,C,D with all your basic FX, and just cycle thru them for all your songs... or I had it set up with song #1 was preset A, and then I had preset B with no FX, so it was effectively bypassed, and then song #2 was preset C, and then another bypass preset, etc.

texasdave

I have 2 MS50Gs on two different boards for time based stuff and effect loop boost.No they cant be beat when purchased used.Heck I even use one of them for acoustic / electric guitar when space is tight.
The delays / reverbs are good for live gigging.I have a G3 too.Really nice unit.In some ways better than my M13.

I like the Tube Screamer in the MS50 as well. I have 2 or 3 of these laying around. Sam Ash was blowing them out then i bought a couple used. Amazing what's stuffed in there, esp for the $$

MJ Slaughter

Silver Supporting Member
Check out the manual, you can run in preset mode or on\off mode. The trouble with the MS-100\70CDR is that it is almost too small. You have to decide what feature you are going to use (preset mode, tuner, on\off, tap tempo) and then you would have to bend down to change this every time by hand. The one cool feature with the preset mode, is that you can choose how many presets it will cycle thru. You could setup presets A,B,C,D with all your basic FX, and just cycle thru them for all your songs... or I had it set up with song #1 was preset A, and then I had preset B with no FX, so it was effectively bypassed, and then song #2 was preset C, and then another bypass preset, etc.

Thanks for the explanation. Looks like a cool little box but I think I'm more comfortable with a little more foot control.

If you mean the ability to assign a letter to each patch and then cycle through them I'm order from A to Z by stomping then yes, they remain saved with their assignment until you remove the letter it's assigned to, if that makes sense?

That's what I meant, thanks.

Guitar1969

Thanks for the explanation. Looks like a cool little box but I think I'm more comfortable with a little more foot control.

That's what I meant, thanks.
Really helpful to run it on a loop switch so you can easily turn it off or on without having to go through menus to do so.

Guitar1969

What I did was set up each patch with an AB switch after all effects that were "always on" (Usually just a noise gate) so for each song I could cycle to the patch, press a button to get to the A/B switch and play. Of course, I place the MS50G in the front of a 5 pedal chain (MS50G - dirt pedal - boost - digital delay - ms70cdr) and have the ms70cdr set up the same way, so it's fairly usable live. If you just had one on its own? Songs with complex effect changes would be almost impossible though.

Understood - but then you are using up a bunch of blank patch slots, and you can't get back to the same patch unless you cycle through them all. I have all my 50 slots full and am constantly fighting what I should remove when I make a new patch.

Another route is use the line in effect to turn off and on, but I like to keep it easy to use and also use the Tap Tempo feature (Long foot press).

Here's the looper I use:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/BlackLoop/reviews

Trending Topics

Top Bottom