Anywhere in SF Bay Area, CA for Amp re-covering?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by buckwild, Mar 3, 2012.

1. buckwild

buckwild Silver Supporting Member

I'm looking to have a headshell and another combo amp re covered.

Does anybody know any good reasonable places in the Bay Area for that? I'm in San Jose. I might just end up sending to mojo music supply if I can't find one locally.

2. digiTED

digiTED rock > talk

You might give Hal and Guitronics a call. I've seen at least grill cloth rolls in his shop. If he doesn't do it, he probably knows someone. Real nice guy and a great tech IMO.

http://www.guitronics.com/

3. pcutt

pcutt Member

4. Rockyrollercat

Rockyrollercat Member

Check guys that do auto upholstery.

5. buckwild

I had asked Val about this awhile ago and he kinda poo poo'd me. I dont; think he wanted to take on the job, he started saying oh it's gonna be pricey probably not worth it for you etc

6. nealpolitan

nealpolitan Member

I'm not local but if you want a price check, I just went in to my local uphostery shop to see what they'd charge to cover a 1x12 cab I have. I was quoted about 90 bucks labor and then plus materials (he wanted 2 yards of tolex). I decided to get a starter kit of the roll on stuff, DuraTex ($20) and try it myself.

7. buckwild

BUMP for more suggestions. Right now it's looking like I might go to Dynamite Amp, but their site really makes it hard to judge the quality of work

8. Shinequwa

Shinequwa Member

JDesign. You'll have to pay shipping to and from, but he's in California. Great work at fair prices. I don't think he's ever said "no" to a single request I've made.

9. treedroppings

treedroppings Member

There's a guitar repair shop in Campbell on Dell avenue to try and get another quote on your job.

10. krusty1053

krusty1053 Member

You know, it's a pretty trivial job to do yourself. Tools required are a heat gun (for compound curves) and a razor blade. That's it. For glue, I have always used water-based contact cement (no odor or explosive hazard). Tolex is just plain vinyl. You can find any type you like online for peanuts. If you screw up, the water-based contact cement is easy to separate. Re-prep the surface and try again.

11. buckwild

just in case you guys are interested in the outcome. Long of the short I couldn't really find anybody in the bay area who does this commercially. Dynamite Amps does it, but they don't have many examples of their work. However, the guy I talked to on the phone was real nice.

I just figured if I was gonna get the job done might as well get it done right...so I sent it to Jeff at JDesign cabs. It's on it's way back to me tomorrow

[​IMG]

12. Ron

Ron Supporting Member

I recommend Ron Veil at unclespot.com - he's in Modesto. Too late for buckwild, but anyone in the Bay Area can work with Ron.

13. rhythmrocker

rhythmrocker 1966 Battle of the Bands Supporting Member

Yes - buy the material you need and then take it to Wally's Auto Upholstery on Geary - He's done two of my cars and his work is exceptional - and a good price too (e.g. he did my Jeep headliner for $400.00; I supplied the material).

14. dspellman

dspellman Senior Member

Does that starter kit include paint?
    Duratex is VERY tough stuff, but be sure that you have a good, smooth surface under it (well sanded). In fact, while Duratex says you really don't need to prime, you may want to anyway, just to see where potential problem areas may appear.

I've recovered cabinets in tolex (didn't do a bad job) and in real tweed (uh...we'll pass on photos on that one, if you don't mind <G>). Real tweed, particularly if you give it about three coats of Minwax poly in Honey Pine, is gorgeous and darned near structural. It'll absorb whacks, dings and blows that would shred tolex, and it's proven to be water and even beer-proof (don't ask).

Line-X is probably the toughest stuff (it's truck bed liner). If you can get a Line-X dealer to hose down your 1x12, it'll be well-nigh indestructible. In fact, they use a version of it for blast protection in security areas.

Duratex is my next favorite. It's very tough, easy to repair dings, easy to apply and the cabinets look great for a LONG time.

Tolex is my least favorite. It's flimsy, virtually impossible to repair, tears relatively easily. New Cabinets look great. Old beat-to-crap cabinets really look it.

15. mark santos

mark santos Member

Bluewail likes this.
  16. Tomm Williams

Tomm Williams Member

Jeff is located in Millville which is an outskirt of Redding. I guess that would make him about a 3 hr. drive from The Bay? He does top notch work and is probably underpriced for the quality of service.