Anzac Day - surfs up

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Ken Ho, Apr 24, 2015.

1. The Captain

The Captain Supporting Member

Anzac Day here in Oz today and the surf is amazing. It's the time of year for it. Warm water, balmy days and early autumn swell lines.
    Anzac Day always seems to have amazing surf, and for me, marks the turning of the seasons between summer and autumn.
    Sydney was beat to hell with an east coast low this week, and the swell form that is still hitting our beaches here on the North NSW coast. It's been like Indo here all week, on the beach breaks directly in front of my home, with glassy barrels, warm water, and no crowds. My new 7' McTavish Bobsled quad is getting me out into a lot of surf lately, too.
    It got a bit crowded for a bit though, as a pod of dolphins came and kept dropping in on me.

2. Rimbaud

Rimbaud Tarnished Silver Gold Supporting Member

Wow, 100 years ago today...Gallipoli.

Props to all current ANZAC Military and ANZAC Vets.

3. Baxtercat

Baxtercat Member

Just saw this pic of a promising storm, pushing swell to So. America, Hawaii, and up here.
    [​IMG]

4. MrAstro

MrAstro Member

My Great Grandfather on my Mum's side and my Great Uncle on Dad's side were at Gallipoli. Both of them survived although My Great Grandfather got gassed. I'm not sure if that was at Gallipoli or afterwards in Europe. I'll have to ask my parents again sometime.

Lest we forget.

I actually find Anzac Day pretty depressing. I don't handle death and reminders of mortality very well at all.

5. The Captain

Well, it's true that "lest we forget" runs the risk of causing PTSD in those who actually served, and at least some veterans choose to put their service into the perspective of their whole life, in order to live a balanced sane life afterwards rather than focussing on it to teh exclusion of the other good stuff. Those guys tend to have problems.
    I show my respect by saluting the digger (you know, the statue you see around the place in country towns and other places) at Pimpama every time I drive by. I also took the time to visit the War Memorial in Canberra some years ago, to show my respect and to learn some stuff. I was intrigued by the Hiroshima relics.
    These days, I choose to celebrate the "freedom" that the Anzacs fought for by celebrating life, which is where the surfing comes in.

6. MrAstro

MrAstro Member

Sounds like a good way to celebrate freedom to me. I'd join you but I'd sink my surfboard these days :)

7. CyberFerret

CyberFerret Member

Good to see the spirit still alive. My kids, my father in law and myself were driving in to the dawn service this morning at 5am, and the roads were as busy as 8am rush hour - everyone was heading to the cenotaph for the service.

Half of the town were there, it looked like. Very moving, and poignant.

EDIT: I recorded this on my Aussie built Maton acoustic for last ANZAC day.... Reposting today to honour the ANZAC spirit...

[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/cyberferret/waltzing-matilda[/soundcloud]

8. Rimbaud

I am so glad you added this to your original post which I thought would be about the actual reason for ANZAC Day...
    I was thinking 'wow, this is about surfing not ANZAC Day...:huh

Thanks for this great follow up post with the explanation correlating the freedom to surf as a result of the guys who served.

9. fredgarvin

fredgarvin Member

I was at the beach here a few days ago, it's mainly wind surfers out there. I wish I had taken that up before my knee went 'poof'. Most of the guys out there were middle aged. Not many dolphins seen here, but a lot of seals and lions, with the occasional Orca pod.

10. Anthony Gring

Anthony Gring Silver Supporting Member

It's gonna be a Whopper !

11. The Captain

Well, can't really have too deep a discussion about this without getting poitical, but I do truly respect eh men who served, without respecting the causes or the men who started the wars that they served in. I'm not convinced they were fighting for "freedom", though that's how it was sold.

The thread really is about how the surfing is always amazing on Anzac Day.
    It's a beautiful time of year here.

12. Rimbaud

Agreed, your word 'freedom' was in quotes...respect the men yes, not the Pommie Generals who screwed up the whole mess.

Say no more...nudge, nudge, wink, wink...;)