Apartment dwellers. Do you play guitar at home?

Mandrax

I lived in a flat for 9 years and played often enough amped and loud. The people all around me played their music loud, tv was loud. The people above screamed at each other all day and my direct neighbour was deaf.

Some guy came and knocked once and asked me to turn it in for the day, but I'd been playing most of the day, I duly obliged.

GGinMP

Silver Supporting Member
15 years in a SF Victorian flat. I played through a Boogie Studio .22+, but never very loud and only between 10 am - 9 pm. No complaints.

My downstairs neighbors are cool, but i still guarantee that i have to listen to their TV more than they listen to my guitar playing through my THR5. They probably hear my bass playing more clearly, but i never play after 9 PM, usually don't play for more than an hour, and keep the amp (Fender Bronco 40) off the floor...

darkstar11

I have not had to deal with apt living in a while.

But I have a Micro cube and can enjoy playing at very low levels.

I bet the little Yamaha amps are cool too.

Metlupass2

Silver Supporting Member
I live in an older Chicago apartment building that was converted to condos a few years ago. I was lucky enough to find a unit that's two floors (almost impossible for Chicago apartment building) and I'm on the end. My guitar room is in the lower basement level so it's perfect because I'm on the floor above and nobody directly next to me.

I use an Axe FX II and monitors.

TC5

Looks like most people reporting here are having few or no issues. Guess I must be unlucky.

Last edited:

Joey Anchors

I live in an apartment and for dirty tones and my low volume needs I plug into a Smokey amp. For clean tones I just run my Fender SF Champ at really love volume.

AxeLover

Apartments are rarely well isolated, but what I had were nasty old psychotic retirees who would accept nothing less than silence (despite the shitload of noise THEY generated). Just my bad luck I guess.
Bumping the old thread which I read when it was active. Got cops called on me by my neighbor one floor down yesterday.

What caused this: I live in an apartment building where we have 3 apartments on each of the 5 floors. I play only from 6 p.m. to 8-9 p.m., like every other day. The neigbor comes crashing into my door every time I start playing (She has a baby granddaughter who sleeps what seems like all day long). I play through my Champs (so at about 4 on the tweed Champ and 5 on the Vibro Champ) and recently through tweed Princeton on 3. Neither amp ever sits on the floor - it sits on a backless chair about a foot high. Every time I open the door she calls me names, says I don't have any right to play guitar in an apartment, that if I want trouble I will get it. Stuff like that.
I play standing/sitting 5-6 feet from the amp, which projects the sound directly at me so it's not like I crank it to get deaf. It fills the room but it's not that loud that you'd come knocking like it's an apocalypse.

This last Saturday I played at like 3 p.m. for three minutes before that old red-haired hag comes banging on my door. I don't open the door but instead turn of the amp and put my gear away for the day. Yesterday I played from 6:30 p.m. to about 8:20 p.m. So far so good but in about an hour later I get this light knock on the door followed by my doorbell ringing. I open the door and there are two cops on my doorstep and behind them is that bitchy woman. I calmly ask them "what's this in relation to?" and the woman behind them irritatingly says "to you playing too loud".

I invite the cops in while the neighbor (who thinks she succeeded) goes to her apartment. The cops were understanding and I explained them what happened on Saturday and that's what they wrote in their paperwork. They said that she's one of those old people who hears everything that happens on the 9th floor while living on the first floor. Apparently she already called them numerous times but I guess they didn't heed her complaints all those previous times. Basically they said if these complaints pile up they might amount to administrative fine but that is extremely unlikely since they have way more pressing matters to tend to. Plus I figure if I simply do not sign their paperwork in the future they have nothing but the ravings of that semi-crazy old woman.

I will try to turn the amp down a notch just to be safe. Needless to say the whole situation is very taxing - struggled to get to sleep after the cops' visit.

So OP, you're not the only one with bad luck.

Last edited:

bsause

I've always practiced preventative maintenance. In other words, go introduce myself to neighbors and let them know that I will be playing guitar a lot. I also ask if there are times I should avoid.People have been pretty cool with it so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AxeLover

I've always practiced preventative maintenance. In other words, go introduce myself to neighbors and let them know that I will be playing guitar a lot. I also ask if there are times I should avoid.People have been pretty cool with it so far.
I think in my case we're way past that point. I mean she could've done the same thing - tell me the hours the kid doesn't sleep. Plus when they were installing new doors and AC, they were drilling so loud at about 2 p.m. that my daughter who was 2 at the moment kept waking up during her mid-day sleep but I didn't go knocking on any doors. I could've but knowing that I'm not the only one living in an apartment building you just gotta deal with it. Double standards.

teledude55

guitar players need to be very picky on apartments. The one I live in now is the best I've ever had for jamming: ground floor, well built old, quiet building. I play through my Princeton at reasonable volumes and have never had a complaint. I've even dimed my old Marshall 1974x a few times and no complaints, they keep raising my rent and I'm still here rocking. The only complaints I've ever had over noise is from my subwoofer Computer speakers or Home theatre system, never from my guitar rig. You have to be strategic in how you set up your gear. I have my amps firing towards exterior walls and I have a loaded bookcase behind my 35w Reinhardt Titan, hoping the books soak up a lot of the volume out the open back. I mostly play the 15w Princeton and only play the Reinhardt in the middle of the day when I know people are not home.

I lived in a real small apt in L.A. that had thin walls. My neighbors were cool but I played a lot then through a Line6 Pod Pro. I had it running through monitors that didn't put out too much 'thump'. If playing late at night I used headphones.

Cymbaline

I use a Pocket Pod through the computer. Great for playing along with tunes.

If you're not playing louder than a TV, no one has a right to complain.

gadzooka

I'll be moving from a single-family house to an apartment soon. I'm hoping not to have a problem. Must be my age, but I really don't like music to be cranked up too loud, even though I do listen to some heavier bands like Sabbath, Smashing Pumpkins, Rush, etc. I have a Fender Champ reissue amp and a PODxt amp emulator. At the modest volumes I use, there should be no issues...fingers crossed.

TC5

Bumping the old thread which I read when it was active. Got cops called on me by my neighbor one floor down yesterday.

What caused this: I live in an apartment building where we have 3 apartments on each of the 5 floors. I play only from 6 p.m. to 8-9 p.m., like every other day. The neigbor comes crashing into my door every time I start playing (She has a baby granddaughter who sleeps what seems like all day long). I play through my Champs (so at about 4 on the tweed Champ and 5 on the Vibro Champ) and recently through tweed Princeton on 3. Neither amp ever sits on the floor - it sits on a backless chair about a foot high. Every time I open the door she calls me names, says I don't have any right to play guitar in an apartment, that if I want trouble I will get it. Stuff like that.
I play standing/sitting 5-6 feet from the amp, which projects the sound directly at me so it's not like I crank it to get deaf. It fills the room but it's not that loud that you'd come knocking like it's an apocalypse.

This last Saturday I played at like 3 p.m. for three minutes before that old red-haired hag comes banging on my door. I don't open the door but instead turn of the amp and put my gear away for the day. Yesterday I played from 6:30 p.m. to about 8:20 p.m. So far so good but in about an hour later I get this light knock on the door followed by my doorbell ringing. I open the door and there are two cops on my doorstep and behind them is that bitchy woman. I calmly ask them "what's this in relation to?" and the woman behind them irritatingly says "to you playing too loud".

I invite the cops in while the neighbor (who thinks she succeeded) goes to her apartment. The cops were understanding and I explained them what happened on Saturday and that's what they wrote in their paperwork. They said that she's one of those old people who hears everything that happens on the 9th floor while living on the first floor. Apparently she already called them numerous times but I guess they didn't heed her complaints all those previous times. Basically they said if these complaints pile up they might amount to administrative fine but that is extremely unlikely since they have way more pressing matters to tend to. Plus I figure if I simply do not sign their paperwork in the future they have nothing but the ravings of that semi-crazy old woman.

I will try to turn the amp down a notch just to be safe. Needless to say the whole situation is very taxing - struggled to get to sleep after the cops' visit.

OP here. After having a similar problem in two different apartments in a row, I've now put "old people" on my list of undesirable neighbours to avoid like the plague. Good to hear though that many are having no issues, so it's not the entire world that's gone to sh*t!

AxeLover

After having a similar problem in two different apartments in a row, I've now put "old people" on my list of undesirable neighbours to avoid like the plague. Good to hear though that many are having no issues, so it's not the entire world that's gone to sh*t!
Agreed. As far as my situation goes, I did turn down a little bit and now simply sit/stand like 6 feet from the amp when I play. For two weeks (knock on wood) that I've been playing like this and playing from 6 to 9 p.m. tops I haven't heard the knock on the walls or a single complaint yet (knock on wood).

cobrahead1030

I have boogie mark III that's been my main home/apartment amp for years, I run in through a 2x12, it sounds pretty awesome turned down low, so it's never been an issue.

I have THD hotplate I use to run my other amps every now and again, but honestly they don't sound very good turned down so low even though the hotplate helps a little.

TC5

Agreed. As far as my situation goes, I did turn down a little bit and now simply sit/stand like 6 feet from the amp when I play. For two weeks (knock on wood) that I've been playing like this and playing from 6 to 9 p.m. tops I haven't heard the knock on the walls or a single complaint yet (knock on wood).
I wish you luck in sorting this out as well as possible. Dealing with psychotic people is never fun. I also believe that mental health issues (of various degrees of severity) are far more common among older people than we might generally be aware of.

cobrahead1030

Years ago I was in a band with some friends of mine, we practiced in our drummers living room, every monday night from about 5-8. Before deciding to do so, he talked with all the immediate neighbors who said they were fine with it, so long as we finished up by around 8, and for 6 months we had no issues.

Then one day we see a cop car pull up outside, so before he's even out of his car we shut everything down, and two of us walk out to speak with him. He's a big guy with tattoos everywhere, who informed us that he'd sat on the next street over with his windows down for 15 minutes and could hardly hear a sound as we played.

He actually came in and listened to a few tunes, and told us we had nothing to worry about... even though someone did call them complaining, we all had a good laugh about it.

TC5

Years ago I was in a band with some friends of mine, we practiced in our drummers living room, every monday night from about 5-8. Before deciding to do so, he talked with all the immediate neighbors who said they were fine with it, so long as we finished up by around 8, and for 6 months we had no issues.

Then one day we see a cop car pull up outside, so before he's even out of his car we shut everything down, and two of us walk out to speak with him. He's a big guy with tattoos everywhere, who informed us that he'd sat on the next street over with his windows down for 15 minutes and could hardly hear a sound as we played.

He actually came in and listened to a few tunes, and told us we had nothing to worry about... even though someone did call them complaining, we all had a good laugh about it.
I think tolerance levels might vary to some degree depending on what country / city / neighbourhood you live in. I also think years ago people were actually more sociable and tolerant of other's noise.

Trending Topics