Apartment Dwellers - what is your setup?

Presc

For those of us who are more volume or space constrained, I'm curious what you're playing out of.

I'm in sort of a lucky situation now where my current apartment is located so that I don't share walls with anyone, so I've been able to keep my DRRI. I can't crank it all the time, but on a weekend afternoon I can get some reasonable volume going. I expect to move in a few months, and imagine I won't be so lucky with my lack of neighbors next time.

I personally need the feeling of the air actually moving (ie no headphones), and dislike modeling amps, but a lot of the small sub-5W tube amps I've played don't seem to have a full soundstage/presence...which is different from being loud. Even some of the nicer ones like the Victoria Champ, which has a nice tonality, just seemed a bit unsatisfying to me.

So I'm curious to see what people are using and how you get "your" tone when circumstances don't allow the dream rig.

5cent

Vox Pathfinder 15r with a Danelectro Transparent Overdrive. Gets a great sound for practicing at conversation volume.

christhered

I run a rebel 20 with the matching 1x12 cab, and it does great at the apartment thing. I will say that it cranks if I want it to, but I don't worry about volume during the day.

Tone Loco

Gold Supporting Member
Guitar > Amp > Palmer speaker emulator > little behringer mixer that takes other inputs like jamman, CDs, etc, > headphones. Finally lets me hear my amps anytime day or night without the neighbors knocking on the door. I should have got the Palmer a long time ago, definitely beats a POD.

SteveO

I was an apartment dweller when I bought my Mark V. It behaved itself quite well in that situation.

Rexfordbridge

My two recommendations: (they are modeling amps, but good ones at that)
1) Roland Blues Cube
2) Fender Mustang Series

alivegy

Marshall 2203 -> Aracom PRX150 -> Port City Wave 2x12 with Warehouse Lead 80's.

I play strats and keep the preamp volume of the Marshall around 5, so it's pretty clean but right on the edge of nastiness. Then if I want more I hit a compressor and a clean boost. So most of my tone comes from natural preamp/power tube breakup from a 100 watt Marshall in a 1 bedroom apartment. I keep the master between 5 and 7.

It just sounds glorious. At this point it works so well that I don't even consider the volume a compromise. If I play a gig I can use the exact same setup and adjust the volume of the Aaracom for the room. So I can play in my living room, a studio, a club, or a stadium and my setup can remain pretty consistent. Brings a huge smile to my face every time i switch it out of standby.

miteemike3

Pedalboard with EB volume pedal into a Blues JR. I have a plexiglass shield around the amp in a corner with sound deadening material behind the amp and it works very nicely. Zero complaints from any of my neighbors.

pattste

Silver Supporting Member
Pedalboard into a Line 6 PocketPod Express set clean with a bit of reverb. Sennheiser headphones. More fun and sounds better than any small amp I've owned. I bought it to practice late at night when the wife and kids are in bed but I actually practice through it most of the time now.

My only amp (Allen Old Flame 2x10) sounds ok at low volume but of course it's much happier when I drive it harder.

Fargen MiniPlex MKII into a Mesa 2x12 (soon to be a Stone Age 4x12) and a Clark Beaufort Reverb. I can play the Fargen anytime thanks to the master volume and power scaling. The Clark can only really be played during the day for it to sound best (no master volume, it sounds perfect with the volume at 3, but it is kinda loud).

- Paul

BiNGEaNiNjA

[Basement(Amp of Choice>Trippy FX>Dirt>Guitar)] = Happy Neighbors

For everything else there's the Rock Block 1W tube amp!

tsar nicholas

I lived in an apartment until 2009, and I used my old AC15 with master volume in a well-dampened room. Still got a few complaints if I turned it up loud, but with the volume at about 1, it sounded good and I could get pretty much whatever tone I needed.

When I needed screaming distortion, I'd go straight through a Zoom box, or later, a Behringer V-Amp, into the recording interface.

tnt365

In my sig. Essentially Gibson-->amp switcher-->Lead 1 or Champ. The Fender 1976 silverface champ has some of the best cleans I've ever heard....through my 2x12 avatar cab w/ v30s.

The Bumbox Lead 1 is an awesome mini-JCM800 head. It has more gain and isn't as brittle as the JCM800, IMO. It's only 1 watt which means I can literally crank it in my apartment. Nate installed a 6v6 so I can switch to 5 watts for playing out, while retaining the 6n1p 1 watt power tube, they are switchable before startup. It has clean with the gain down, but with the gain down the amp is no fun. Hence, the reason I got the Fender Champ. I had to have the best of both worlds, but now to save space and money I might have to part with it....I play a lot more clean tunes anyways.

It sure is nice to rock out though :rockin

Last edited:

bilbal

I'm prolly in a different situation. In fact, I guarantee it.

I live on the third floor of my parents home. They both are alzhiemers patients so I moved back to care for them. They love hearing me play... Aiken Sabre, 100 watt ODS, and an AC100 thru various cabs with various gtrs.

Laplacian

Any amp I want ...
....into 2 Sequis Motherload elementals to Neve 8816 with a 2290 and PCM 91 to mix in for effects. Senn HD 600's.

Sounds really good. Kids Sleep, Wife Happy, etc..

When the troop heads out and I'm home alone, the neighbors get to hear if I've improved any. :)

Trending Topics