Apogee Duet - Anything better for the Mac for a ballpark price?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by dorfmeister, Sep 8, 2008.

1. dorfmeister

dorfmeister Member

I want an audio interface to work with Garageband and eventually logic on a MacBook Pro with 4 gigs of ram.

2. gitman

gitman Member

how are you recording and what sources do you record ? which mics do you use and how many live tracks do you want to record ?
    my Duet works great when recording direct (no amp but the amp models in my iMac 20")
    and the only criticism i had was about the mic pre's so for recording vocals i use an external mic pre (Portico from Neve). the converters in the Duet are great for the money
    - an upgrade in that field will cost much more. i don't see a direct contestant at the moment. i'd look at the quality of my other outboard gear and decide then whether to spend more $ on seperate converters and seperate preamps. with "Normal" quality mics the Duet will get you great recordings, both with acoustic and electric guitars.
    these tracks where made in my guitar-room (not a studio) with the Duet, a Gefell M-300
    condenser mic and Apple Logic, into an iMac :
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=636467&songID=6755147
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=636467&songID=6706394

3. lterenzi

lterenzi Member

For the $$$, ease of setup and sound quality there is nothing better. This is assuming you dont need to track a lot of tracks live...

4. dorfmeister

dorfmeister Member

Don't need more than the basic inputs......am a home recording auteur!

It seems perfect for my needs. Already have a Novation X-Station for midi...has a USB Audio Interface but latency is a bit high for me to be happy.

My plan is to run my analog board into it. Have a Damage Control pedal with speaker emulation.

I also have a small analog synthesizer (smith evolver) and then voice. Everything else will be loops or midi.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2008
  5. Da5Id

Da5Id Member

Something that costs more, but has great mic pres, tons of routing flexibility, many more ins/outs, headphone amp, built in mixer, built in plugins (great quality too), etc etc. The Metric Halo ULN-2 Expanded.
    http://www.mhlabs.com/metric_halo/

6. dorfmeister

dorfmeister Member

7. dorfmeister

dorfmeister Member

Just got a blem Apogee Duet from Music123 for $370 shipped.

That seemed like a really good deal on it. I always try to get a hot deal on blem items because they are usually in perfect condition.