Apogee Duet owners: Outboard pres or no?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by brads, Feb 8, 2008.

1. brads

brads Supporting Member

Can those who have had some experience with their Duets weigh in on whether or not they feel the need to use an outboard mic preamp?

Or are the internal mic pres up to the quality of the rest of the unit?

2. mlavin00

mlavin00 Member

Just upgraded to the Duet from a FW410 this afternoon. OMFG!!!! The difference is remarkable. The internal pre's on this thing just sound amazing. Very clear with a ton of headroom. It really makes the m-audio sound like garbage, and I used my FW410 for 4 years with no problems. Who knew it would be this different.
    Mitch

3. Wolf Static

Wolf Static Member

mlavin - wow! I'm a FireWire 410 user right now experiencing all kinds of issues with Leopard! Ughhhh I want that Apogee Duet soooo bad!

4. R.J.H.

R.J.H. Silver Supporting Member

+1. I'm a new Mac user and am really eyeballing the duet. With all the positive comments lately, I may just have to find someone around town to buy my FW410...

EDIT: sorry, after re-reading, I thought I should add that I didn't intend to de-rail the thread. I can't help you with the mic pres, but best of luck with the search!

5. Gi-gi-giggity

Gi-gi-giggity Member

The pres on the Duet are MUCH better than the 410 (I had one too). Certainly good enough to hold you over for quite a while.
    Of course, it all comes down to how far you want to go with different sound options. For more/different sounds, different pres will be needed, but for more than basics, you'll be well served with the Duet.

6. the_Chris

the_Chris It's All Been Done Before Gold Supporting Member

I have an Apogee Ensemble which I believe has the same mic pres and converters as the Duet (just more of them).

I think the pres are perfect honestly. They're clear with good headroom without being brash or tinny and they're not muddy - so I think they've found some perfect ground for relatively neutral pres. I've honestly thought about purchasing 2 Ensembles instead of going to outboard pres for the 1st Ensemble. Outboard pres can be expensive and if you like what you have, why mess with it?

7. Gi-gi-giggity

Gi-gi-giggity Member

Actually Chris, I 'think' the converters in the Ensemble are better than the Duet, but I could be wrong. I don't remember; but the Duet doesn't suck.