Apogee Ensemble for PC?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Steve Dallas, Mar 20, 2008.

1. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas Supporting Member

I know it is Mac only, but I'm heavily invested in PC and don't want to change. But I want something exactly like it--with special attention paid to the converters.

So what are my options?

2. mds

mds Member

Probably the RME Fireface is the closest thing...

3. Steve Dallas

RME's converters are nowhere near the quality of the Apogee unit. They are good, but not GREAT. I want GREAT!

4. Jayson Chance

Jayson Chance Member

What about Benchmark? Aren't they supposed to be more along the lines of the Apogee stuff? Not sure if they are Windows compatible, though.

Of course, you could buy a used Digidesign 002 and have the mods done by Black Lion Audio. I hear it puts their quality on par with the high-end stuff.

5. mds

mds Member

Agreed, but I think thats the closest you're going to get into a PC with a full fledged interface with pres, monitor controls, etc. for a comparable price. You may consider getting a simple interface with ADAT I/O and adding a converter in front of it...maybe a used Benchmark or Mytek or something like that...the Ensemble is a pretty unique piece in the sense that it has such nice converters and preamps for under $2k.

6. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

7. Mondoslug

Mondoslug Supporting Member

The darkness is calling you..............Mac.

8. Steve Dallas

I truly wish I could go back. I started working with digital audio back when the only option was a Mac with the 2 factory channel audio capture card. The only real multichannel DAW at the time was Deck. Fun stuff!

Eventually I switched over to PC simply because I got tired of having to pay ~$4,000 every time I wanted to upgrade my Mac. Then, when they switched over to OS X, all of my software became useless and I was facing the reality of having to buy thousands of $$ of software again (Office, Adobe Suite, Audio, etc.). I got pissed and switched to a PC and Cakewalk.

Now I'm so heavily invested in PC that I can't go back to Mac. I have a top-of-the-line workstation plus many thousands of $$ in audio software and plug-ins and soft synths, etc.

So I'm stuck with PC for better or for worse.

That Orpheus interface looks awesome! But I think I'll pass on the $5K price tag. For my money, someone will come up with a cheaper alternative in the next few years. RME could decide to upgrade their converters and mic pres in the Fireface. MOTU could decide to upgrade its analog signal chain and clock in the HD192.

I might just have to hold out for one of those possibilities or buy an HD192 and have Black Lion work their magic. :drool

9. yellowecho

yellowecho Member

Someone needs a Mac with Leopard (comes with Bootcamp)!:p

10. mds

mds Member

What are you using for an interface now? One option I forgot about was the Lynx Aurora 8 with the firewire card. You wouldn't have any preamps or a monitor section, but you'd have very good conversion, possibly better than the Ensemble, going directly into your machine. Get some good outboard pres...maybe a DAV BG2, or a Sytek, or something along those lines and an A-Designs Atty and you've got a setup better than the Ensemble for similar dough....if you need more cue mix options maybe put a small mixer on for more routing capability...