• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Apolitical soul food question

Mufftastic

I am a big muff guy but I'm interested in a lower gain overdrive. I tried a Timmy and it didn't work well with my gear.

I'm not interested in klon or Klone trashing I would like some opinions on the soul food if you have one. I also don't care about screws on the back.

I keep my amp pretty clean so I am looking to use it as a mild drive (basically less over the top than my muffs).

To give you the best information, I'd need to know what about the Timmy didn't work well with your gear and why. I'd also need to know what kind of sound you are trying to achieve. Otherwise, you're going to get the usual slew of random pedal recommendations by people who know even less than you do about what it is you are wanting/needing.

lp_bruce

Silver Supporting Member
To give you the best information, I'd need to know what about the Timmy didn't work well with your gear and why. I'd also need to know what kind of sound you are trying to achieve. Otherwise, you're going to get the usual slew of random pedal recommendations by people who know even less than you do about what it is you are wanting/needing.
And even then there is tons of subjectivity on pedals--especially dirt pedals. I bought a Soul Food yesterday and like it so far. But the real test will be Monday (first rehearsal) and Thursday (first gig).

Mufftastic > What kind of music do you play and what is your primary use (live, recording, home noodling?)?

Peace,

Lewguitar

I always heard the Big Muff as being a Fuzz. Like the old Maestro Fuzz Tone or the old Vox Tonebender. To me those are all Fuzzes.

The Klon Circuit isn't a Fuzz.

It can be used as a clean boost (like an EP Booster) for a Robben Ford clean chord and lightly overdriven soloing tone. Or you can crank the drive a little more and get a much more overdriven Jeff Beck thing going.

IMO, it works especially well with a non master volume amp turned up to at least 3 or 4. I play through Deluxe Reverbs.

The unique thing about the Klon Circuit is the way I can plug my Strat into it and crank the guitar's volume control for a very over driven Jeff Beck kind of tone, where I can really squeeze off those bluesy, sustaining bends when I'm soloing, and then turn the volume control down and get a clean enough tone to play some pretty chords.

No other pedal I've ever owned has allowed me to do that so well as my Klon Klones.

fahrner

Chris and Bruce are spot on.
I've had my Soul Food for about a week..... not that impressed but suspect it sounds better played out and loud.
There are a ton of good low gain pedals on the market right now.
My newest love is J. Rocketts Blue Note and also their Alan Holdsworth pedal (because of the built in boost function).
But then I also love my Timmy and my Tim.
Best advice would be to listen to a lot of Youtube videos at HD and even though it will still be hard to hear all the characteristics of a pedal. This and buy pedals from a place that will allow returns if you don't like them. From here it's a lot of trial and error.

Mufftastic

Good point about needing more data.

Right now I home noodle and record. My day job doesn't allow for more than that.

I use an amp I built myself but it's basically a clean channel and a 6v6 push pull power amp. Lots of mids, which I like.

The Timmy was a great pedal but just seemed to add fizz to my sound. I usually use a muff because it sort of transforms everything into , well a muff. So I am looking for something to add a little grit.

XKnight

If you like the Big Muff, but want lower gain distortion settings I would highly recommend a Rat type pedal or a Skreddy Screwdriver. The Soul Food is a great pedal too, but it shines as a clean type boost or slightly gritty overdrive.

cubistguitar

It may work for you, it wil add abit of grit. I will say it is mid hvy already. You won't get a bigger low end from it, but it can work well with a rich bass hvy rig, as it adds the mids and highs. The grit is mostly up to the amp, tho you can gets some good texture from the drive, it really is best making your amp sound pushed.

fahrner

Good point about needing more data.

Right now I home noodle and record. My day job doesn't allow for more than that.

I use an amp I built myself but it's basically a clean channel and a 6v6 push pull power amp. Lots of mids, which I like.

The Timmy was a great pedal but just seemed to add fizz to my sound. I usually use a muff because it sort of transforms everything into , well a muff. So I am looking for something to add a little grit.
Love the sound of 6V6s.
My amps are always set clean. I'm a home player so don't really have the opportunity to crank them to the point of distortion. What I'm after is a good sounding pedal that preserves the good tone of my amp and still sounds like my guitar. I like my OD pedals set at just the point below breakup so I can control the distortion with pick attack.
The other thing that can happen is that an OD or boost pedal can end up over driving the front end or preamp section of your amp. I've never really cared for that sound but a lot of guys do. To me an over driven power amp sounds much better.... but one has to play pretty loud for that. So, I look for pedals that to me sound like power amp breakup and allow me to play at studio volumes.
All this is pretty subjective and all I've expressed is my opinion....

Top Bottom