• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Apollo 18 - some slide guitar

batsbrew

this is a trial mix, trying to decide how bright i can make it without harsh...
does this work, or is it too bright?

UPDATE!!

UPDATED final mix of "Apollo 18"

i think this one is close! i used all the comments, tried to get closer to it.

Last edited:

TL;DR

I do not think it is too bright. The backing guitar is pretty bright, and if the slide were darker it would disappear in the mix. I would personally like some more mids in the slide part, but I’m something of a midsaholic.
Great composition BTW
:beer

batsbrew

thanks for the feedback...
i've already rolled the highs on the rhythm tracks down,
so now what i've done, is pull up a pultec eq model, and boosted mids just slightly, and gotten rid of some high cuts on the slides, and it seems to sit more on top, without sounding any brighter.
good call!

derekd

Silver Supporting Member
The acoustic seems like it sits a bit forward for me but it might be because it is cutting through so much.

I like the slide sound just fine. It just seems to be overshadowed by the acoustic. Wetter than the typical slide I hear but I like it.

Cool track.

batsbrew

you know,
since i have the spacey floyd-ish piano and synth,
maybe just bringing the rhythm master down a bit will balance it out.

i'll play with that...

AndrewSimon

The acoustic seems like it sits a bit forward for me but it might be because it is cutting through so much.

I like the slide sound just fine. It just seems to be overshadowed by the acoustic. Wetter than the typical slide I hear but I like it.

Cool track.
+1 but it's mater of taste.
The current mix is definitely pretty cool.

derekd

Silver Supporting Member
+1 but it's mater of taste.
The current mix is definitely pretty cool.
When you have two instruments competing for the same sonic space on a tune that is sort of laid back/spacey it may sabotage the dynamic the writer has intended.

If it were a higher energy tune, the two instruments with their different tone but similar frequencies would help create a more frenetic vibe. I guess it all comes down to what Mike wants the listener to experience on this tune.

SimAlex

1, i really dig this composition

2, my instant reax is that the acoustic is both a bit tinny, and too forward in the mix

3, love the slide, i think that sounds close enough as it is to me, sounds really good-- just wish it didn't seem as buried behind the acoustic part

Carl_Tone

Acoustic should be slightly volume ducked down when the slide comes in and the slide should be slightly volume boosted as well 1db down and 1db up gives you 2 db. This is currently just fine for a group of guitar players but for the average listener they want to view the slide as a vocal performance in the mix ;)

journo

I like the tune and the arrangement but I agree with the others that the rhythm guitar is slightly too loud.

Cheers,

Mats N

Julio Iguana

agree with previous...I just think the slide is buried behind and should be out more...nice feel of drifting thru space in a capsule.

batsbrew

excellent feedback you guys!
appreciate it...

so i have remixed this, and i think it's way more dialed in,
i'll try to post the new one in a few hours...

Carl_Tone

alright carl!

thanks for coming back into the thread,
i'm glad you got to hear the changes
You can just feel the work that went into the mix / master here and it seems that bright but not harsh is where most of our consumable audio sits, after listening to yours and finally figuring that out ;)

batsbrew

IT'S FUNNY,
cuz i've got all kinds of treble rolled off on the acoustics, and slide...

the taylor 414 i'm using is naturally bright,
with tons of clarity,
even with 12 month old strings on it!! LOL

batsbrew

I do not think it is too bright. The backing guitar is pretty bright, and if the slide were darker it would disappear in the mix. I would personally like some more mids in the slide part, but I’m something of a midsaholic.
Great composition BTW
:beer
hey TL,
thanks for the review....

it's funny, how bright that taylor 414 is,
even when i've rolled out a bunch above 1.5k...

i've got it dialed in now,thanks!

Trending Topics