App for lyrics and chords?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by longgonedaddy, Aug 19, 2019.

1. longgonedaddy

longgonedaddy Member

So, what’s everyone using to scroll song lyrics and chords while performing? A friend to,d me about one, but it was just a scam app, so I’m looking for something else. Specifically, I’m using an iPad, but android apps, if good enough, I’ll get an inexpensive tablet just for gigs.

Thanks!

2. jaymeister

jaymeister Member

3. dan5150

dan5150 Supporting Member

4. sunken.anchor

sunken.anchor Member

OnSong for lyrics and chords. ForScore for charts/sheet music.

Shadowfax2112 and NamaEnsou like this.
  5. NamaEnsou

NamaEnsou Supporting Member

Thanks for differentiating the two and I would assume from the OP that he'd be more interested in OnSong.

6. TheKermitC

TheKermitC Member

all boils to user experience
    Onsong can do it all (lyrics and chords , charts/sheet music)

I also like Newzik (it saves on its own cloud server)

here are the one I have tried successfully

Onsong
    Newzik
    SongSheet pro
    Pia Score (has beta feature wherein you can change pages with facial expression w/ iphonex & Ipad with AR)

NamaEnsou likes this.
  7. bigEbeer

bigEbeer Member

I’ve used Unreal Book for years.

8. elicxirmixer

elicxirmixer Member

Hmm. I always make lyrics and chords in word and then convert to pdf.
    I email the pdfs to anyone we're jamming with and keep them in a folder on my phone (and my computer).
    I must be way behind the times, but it ain't broke, so I'm unlikely to change unless someone can convince me there's a much better way.

Joe Manganese, kdm1218 and NamaEnsou like this.
  9. sunken.anchor

sunken.anchor Member

While I still prefer the formatting options that come from using Word to PDF, the thing I like most about OnSong is that if you need to change the key of the chord chart, you can do it in about 2 seconds instead of having to retype or having to save multiple versions in different keys.

That said, you do need to type up the chord chart in Onsong’s native format in order to allow things like transposing, rearranging the song structure, etc., so there is some commitment level needed to make it a “better” option than PDF charts, in my opinion. I think OnSong can convert a Word file into its own format, but I always found it easier/more reliable to just retype it myself.

One other thing is that for me, OnSong works best when everyone is using it or when I only needed charts for myself. I wasn’t very happy with exporting OnSong charts to PDF because of formatting issues, and if someone emailed me PDF charts, I had to retype them in OnSong if I wanted to be able to transpose the thing. But for keeping track of my own library and for solo performances, I like it.

warren3333 and NamaEnsou like this.
  10. kramm47

kramm47 Member

Anyone have a recommendation for Android? This is wonderful information! Thanks everyone.

11. Major Dude

Major Dude Member

I use OnSong every week but as I get older the song titles menu gets harder to read - it would be an awful lot better if the menu font size could be increased.

12. donfrantz

donfrantz Yo! You stealin’ all the cool. Silver Supporting Member

I'm using UnRealBook. I had a bunch of old paper music folders with written out chords and lyrics. UnRealBook has a built-in scanner so I could easily scan these into the the app. Maybe other apps do too.

13. NamaEnsou

NamaEnsou Supporting Member

So tempted to go with OnSong except for the necessity to re-type hundreds of songs to make it useful for me. If they could fix the problems with being able to just convert rich text files I'd be ready to order it, so still hoping for a program that will offer this ability.

14. longgonedaddy

longgonedaddy Member

Thanks all for the suggestions!

15. TheKermitC

TheKermitC Member

the main bone of contention while jamming change of keys

with newzik, you only have to make a shared setlist/file ONCE and ensure your buddies have newzik
    with band mode, whatever you share/open they will see and follow
    you change key, they see that
    you change tempo they see that