App to Memorize the Fretboard

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by CompleteThink, Feb 6, 2015.

1. CompleteThink

CompleteThink Member

I developed a free Android app to help memorize the notes on the fretboard called "Fretboard Learn". The app has a bunch of game modes which let the user practice matching the name of note to a position on the fretboard (identifying the highlighted note, finding note X on string Y, and finding all X notes on the neck). It's helped me a lot using it while I worked on it.

If you do try it out - let me know what you think. Are there any other features or options I should add?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fretboard.game.android&hl=en

[​IMG]

2. mark norwine

mark norwine Member

I mean no offense, but if you want to learn the fretboard, it seems to me you're much more likely to succeed if your hands are wrapped around a guitar neck, not a telephone.

3. Fretsalot

Fretsalot Member

I've got to echo some of Mark's sentiment... I promised myself for almost 30 years to 'learn' the fretboard. Two years ago, I really dug into teaching myself triads (Maj,min,dim,aug) ...how to extend them; what notes are in them; how to reach for other diatonic triad chords from one to the next; etc. That taught me the fretboard - a practical application. That app will teach you the fretboard like memorizing the alphabet. Putting the alphabet into practical use - words, phrases, sentences is of more value.

That's what worked for me.

Hopping down off the soapbox,

Fretsalot/Scott

PS: with only one post, I wonder if this $PAM?

Last edited: Feb 6, 2015
  4. harmonicator

harmonicator Member

While I agree, an app like this is good for time when the student can't be holding the guitar.

(which should be as infrequently as possible)

5. CompleteThink

CompleteThink Member

I agree with you both. Obviously the best way to learn is to physically hold a guitar in your hand and so to speak "figure" it out. A game is not going to completely teach you. You need the practical experience.

The intention is not to replace your guitar, but to add another tool where you can practice anywhere. Most people already have their phones on them everywhere they go. This way they can kill a few minutes running through some exercises.

Thanks for the comments.

6. SixStringFiend

SixStringFiend Member

All I did was at random moments while practicing, I would find all the C's on the fretboard and jump from one to the other at random. A little later I would do the same with other notes. No muss, no fuss, and with what seemed little effort at all I had all the notes down cold in a couple of weeks.

7. charliemccarter

charliemccarter Supporting Member

This is a great app for those of us who can't hold our guitar but have a few free mins to mentally challenge ourselves. I like being able to sight practice when I am away from my guitar. Great app. Thanks for the tip!

8. Banditt

Banditt Supporting Member

Some things to learn the fretboard:

Pick a note on the fret board...say the name out loud. Play and say out loud every octave and fingering of that note from that fret up the neck to the highest fret possible. Then do it from that original point down the fret board to the lowest E string position. Use a metronome while you do it. Make music with everything you do...vibrato, slides, pull-offs, enclosures.

Do above with the 3, 5, b7 of randomly selected note: I find the b7 much more useful and you will use it much, much more in the majority of Rock, Blues, Jazz, and Country...I see the major 7 as a passing note. Just my opinion.

Saying it out loud was very hard for me. At the time, I really could not talk or sing while playing anything but the most basic rhythm...saying it out loud will cement it in your brain and free your voice from beat. Metronome forces you to think AHEAD of the beat...no stopping and "huntnig" for the note.

From any note you hit while playing with a band, you will know where the root is, the 3,5,b7 is...you will also be able to "hear" the scale degree of the note you are playing to the bass line or key.

9. CompleteThink

CompleteThink Member

10. GottaPracticeMore

GottaPracticeMore Member

Just downloaded it and played a few rounds. It's kind of fun, so I'll have another go with it on the weekend. I like it that the user can specify which strings and frets to use for the games, since it means I can focus on the sections of the neck I don't know so well. There are lots of times I don't have my guitar with me, so using the app sort of satisfies that urge to play... Thanks for making the app available!

11. meowtorhead

meowtorhead Member

Great app! Thank You!