apparatus for reversing magnetic polarity single coils??

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by dewman, Sep 1, 2006.

1. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

I want to change the magnetization polarity of a single coil pickup so that it matches the orientation of an existing pickup set. Is there an easy way to do this for the average DIYer?

2. LOCUSTFIST

LOCUSTFIST Member

find somebody that winds them and have them throw them on their magnetizer. i can do it for you if you're in so cal.

3. dewman

I know it is easier to drop them off with a winder, and I probably will do that, but what is the magnetizer consist of?

4. suhr_rodney

suhr_rodney Supporting Member

dewman, I can help you out!

5. Jim Collins

Jim Collins Member

Why do you want to do this? Do you want to use the Suhr hum cancelling device, which (as I understand it) requires that all three Strat pickups share the same magnetic polarity?

6. dewman

no- I have a few old sets of pickups that I like that I am blending with various boutique pups and it seems as if the old stock fender and kramer pups are polarized oppositely to the boutiques.

Thanks Rodney too- I'll be in touch. Still trying to locate the Lollar book. I looked through several old boxes last night and now think I have it zeroed in. Talk to you soon-
    D

7. donnyjaguar

donnyjaguar Member

FWIW I was told on this group by someone, can't remember who, that I could push the pole pieces out of my Strat middle pickup and reinsert the other way. I'm happy to report it worked perfectly. I guess if your single coil is of a different design this may not work.

8. Jim Collins

Jim Collins Member

It doesn't matter if the magnetic polarity of the pickups doesn't match. If you have an out of phase sound, simply reverse the connections of the offending pickup. This is really what RWRP is all about.

9. dewman

Thanks so much John, Rodney and everyone else - Rodney I'll see ya soon to chat about it, between two science guys we may come up with something..he..he..but in all likelihood this may be like a nut job or refret, clearly something best left to the professionals...I'm always tinkering though.

John I am eyeing your guitars now- Rodney has me hooked...I hope I'm going to land one soon...