Apparently, Magnetic Tape Is Still Very Relevant in 2018

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by teleluvver, Jan 2, 2018.

1. teleluvver

teleluvver Supporting Member

2. Papanate

Papanate Gold Supporting Member

Typical Sky Is Falling Mentality. Archiving of digital media is
    agnostic - losing the format for playback is simply not a concern.

3. Jimmy_Rage

Jimmy_Rage Member

It's also heavily used in the recording industry by some. Pedals, plugins, the actual tape machines. All still in vogue.

4. bdm

bdm Supporting Member

So how long before my CDs I purchased in college will no longer be playable on my CD player? o_O

Scrapperz likes this.
  5. Papanate

No one is sure - which is to say you should digitize everything in multiple formats
    on multiple drives.

6. Motterpaul

Motterpaul Tone is in the Ears

I store all my videos in Real Media format. The RealVideo format will dominate forever. I also love my Netscape browser. These are iconic Internet standards.

Seriously, though, I googled RealMedia to see if they even still exist and they do, and they make a video player that can play almost any format. That, I feel is the future, backwards-compatible players that can recognize and play almost any format. Hence, I would not worry about which format you use (unless it is something rare) that much. If you can still find a RealVideo player, you can probably find just about anything.

7. Yooper

Yooper Member

I just listened to a 35 year old cassette. Maybe I should record my CD's to cassettes. They may even survive an EMP.

8. Papanate

IMO some young startup genius is going to write a a new software
    player that can play any format created in the last 20years. Unfortunately
    for most people it will probably need to be attached to the Linux OS.

Unless they are a real genius - in which case we will get a player/archiver
    that runs agnostic and plays back or archives agnostically as well.

9. crossbones

crossbones Member

We used to back up music projects to Exabyte and other format tapes a long time ago.
    The 3rd time one of those stretched and would not restore was a wakeup call.
    We started backing up to CD-R back before recordable DVD's were practical.
    When they first came out, the manufacturer's were talking about 100 year safety and nonsense like that.
    My first experience with one going bad for no reason (and careful handling) was about 5 months.
    DVD backup was better....heck...your backup set was 6 disks instead of 80.
    I was able to restore my oldest DVD set last week without issue.
    I tried an old CD for curiosity and it threw an error right away.
    It feels like we are in a weird, "in between technologies" backup situation right now....which I guess we are.

Come on smart people!
    I want cheap and robust backup now!

jmoose likes this.
  10. Mister Natural

Mister Natural Member

isn't this called "The Cloud" ?

11. Hallogallo

Hallogallo Member

It's funny that an object (cloud) known for dropping parts of itself (rain) is the metaphor for reliable storage.

aleclee and Mister Natural like this.
  12. Mister Natural

Mister Natural Member

13. nsureit

nsureit Supporting Member

I almost bought a perfectly restored Studer A800 MKIII. I’m a sucker for cool, old analog stuff. What stopped me was questionable efficacy of tape media going forward - hard to find, very expensive, preservation, etc. Plus, tape machines are crazy expensive to maintain. But, oh that magic feeling while using 2” tape!

14. tucsonsound

tucsonsound Member

When your first replacement credit card shows up with just a chip and no magnetic stripe, it's time to dump your tape machine.

15. mjtripper

mjtripper Supporting Member

Lto is a very robust format and still used heavily in the industry for backing up very large data sets. The ability to pack some tapes in a case, jump on a plane with over a petabyte of data, fly half way around the globe, load them into a library, and restore a system or parts of is pretty much impossible with other formats. The day is coming when drives or other media will be able to completely replace, and has for many situations, tape but it’s not here yet for all situations.

16. jmoose

jmoose Member

Finding analog tape isn't really a problem, its expensive but not hard to locate. ATR Magnetics will ship anywhere.

https://www.atrtape.com/shop/

Keeping the machine running OTOH... that's where the rubber capstan meets the metal oxide. I'd never buy another analog deck unless I could afford, and really... more then anything else, have the storage space to keep at least 3 identical machines. One to run as a daily driver and the rest to cannibalize for parts.

Motors can be rebuilt, heads can be relapped and replaced, but every machine has certain parts... cards, logic chips, drive parts, eproms etc that if/when they let go the machine is a boat anchor unless you can pull that specific part from a donor machine. Even if its entirely rebuilt and recapped, like my old JH24 was eventually something is going to fail and you'll be standing around looking at a useless 700 pound hot dog cart.

I don't miss much of anything about tape. The hassle of keeping the machines simply running, running well, the expense of tape... short recording times and razor blade edits... even "the sound" of tape isn't anything I truly miss.

@tucsonsound - Not sure I get your point about magnetic strips on credit cards. Magnets were around for a real long time before analog tape or even electricity and will continue to be around for thousands of years until the Sun explodes and swallows this rock. What am I missing?

17. Mister Natural

Mister Natural Member

ask Edward Snowden about this method !

18. jmoose

jmoose Member

It already exists. You've never come across VLC player?

https://www.videolan.org/vlc/features.html

Welcome to 2001..?

19. crossbones

crossbones Member

So far, too many internet provider related glitches while uploading.
    It seems so simple.

20. tucsonsound

tucsonsound Member

Magnetized tape stock is manufactured largely for the production of credit cards, the remaining manufacturers still slitting it for the niche reel markets will face inflating manufacturing costs without that market driving demand.