1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Apparently, Magnetic Tape Is Still Very Relevant in 2018

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by teleluvver, Jan 2, 2018.

1. teleluvver

teleluvver Supporting Member

HammyD, FbIsNotE and IRG like this.
  2. FbIsNotE

FbIsNotE Member

Very interesting article. I'm a big fan of things that work well and tape is in that category. I wish Reel to Reel would make a comeback like Vinyl has.

This article and many others I've read mention that old CD's will stop working. I'm waiting for that to happen. I currently have CD's purchased 30 years ago that work like the day I bought them.

flyingmusicman likes this.
  3. John Mark Painter

John Mark Painter Supporting Member

Debatable...especially for music.

I was at Sony and EMI music a lot in the 90's in particular. They own MILLIONS of songs. There was a mad scramble to transfer all of their old Reels to DAT tape. Many tapes wouldn't play at all. Some would get 'baked' to keep the oxide from flying off and they could be played ONCE.

Then CDR hit...EMI decided everything needed to be on CDR now. Then of course, every now and then a CDR would fail. So when possible, they would do both DAT and CDR.

Many Nashville labels instituted a policy where multitrack had to be turned in on Sony 48 track digital tape before the record was considered 'delivered'.
    A real bonehead move...not too many operational Sony 48 track machines left now.

I am also a photographer with crates full of negatives :)

HammyD likes this.
  4. Dandolin

Dandolin Member

"The Disintegration Loops
    is based on Basinski's attempts to salvage earlier recordings made on magnetic tape in the early 1980s by transferring them into digital format. However, the tape had deteriorated to the point that, as it passed by the tape head, the ferrite detached from the plastic backing and fell off. The loops were allowed to play for extended periods as they deteriorated further, with increasing gaps and cracks in the music."

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    redchapterjubilee likes this.
  5. adamajah

adamajah Supporting Member

semi-related: diy recording to cassette tape is back.

sell that old tascam porta you got in your closet for some fresh pedul monies.

FbIsNotE likes this.
  6. Yr Blues

Yr Blues Member

how about multi-track metal records like vinyl. how long could they last?

7. stahlhart

stahlhart Member

Still love my obsolete DA-20 MKII.

/and my Sony TC-K3
    //and a Pioneer CT-F9191 that needs work

8. FbIsNotE

FbIsNotE Member

Pretty close to forever... at least Carl Sagan and Old School NASA thought so.

[​IMG]