• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!
  • If you are seeing this, you are on the new TGP servers. Bear with us as we work out any issues related to the move. The end result should be a far better snappier experience on TGP. *Notice: You can close this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner.

Appears COVID has killed my band

chrisr777

Just heard that one of our guitar players is moving to San Diego. He has offered to Zoom with a replacement to teach him the rhythm parts. But our bass player is moving to Oxnard because of issues with his roommates, who are friends with my son and the other guitar player. Things are up in the air, but it is not looking good.

Kind of in shock. Eight months ago we were on a roll. We had released a single and were working on a couple of others. We were playing better venues, had just debuted a couple of new songs at the Viper Room on Sunset Blvd. and were getting the attention of some promoters. I'm getting too old to start all over again. But I may have to. I'm just not ready to pack it in and start playing in a cover band. Would love to keep playing with my son, and he wants to keep playing with me. I guess time will tell.

Black&Blue

My story is just the opposite! I have a couple of new music endeavors due to the covid! And still maintain my other projects. The closed door/open window thing springs to mind, so chin-up!

-sku-

You should not meet anyway because of social distancing.
Take your time to reflect on things and in a couple of years, when it's all over, you can get back together like nothing happened.

John Hurtt

Gold Supporting Member
Just heard that one of our guitar players is moving to San Diego. He has offered to Zoom with a replacement to teach him the rhythm parts. But our bass player is moving to Oxnard because of issues with his roommates, who are friends with my son and the other guitar player. Things are up in the air, but it is not looking good.

Kind of in shock. Eight months ago we were on a roll. We had released a single and were working on a couple of others. We were playing better venues, had just debuted a couple of new songs at the Viper Room on Sunset Blvd. and were getting the attention of some promoters. I'm getting too old to start all over again. But I may have to. I'm just not ready to pack it in and start playing in a cover band. Would love to keep playing with my son, and he wants to keep playing with me. I guess time will tell.
I don't see anywhere in your post where Covid played any part of this.

chrisr777

You should not meet anyway because of social distancing.
Take your time to reflect on things and in a couple of years, when it's all over, you can get back together like nothing happened.
I realize, considering your other posts on the subject, that this is sarcasm. But we have not been meeting. This is a large part of the problem. Have not seen the guitar player who is moving since March. The bass player I've seen once, and that was a chance meeting outside of a fast food place.

chrisr777

I don't see anywhere in your post where Covid played any part of this.
Didn't think I needed to spell it out. But believe me. If it had not been for the lockdown and lack of places to play or roommates being cooped up together for eight months with not many places to go or lack of business for the guitar player or inability to get together and play this would not be happening.

John Hurtt

Gold Supporting Member
Didn't think I needed to spell it out. But believe me. If it had not been for the lockdown and lack of places to play or roommates being cooped up together for eight months with not many places to go or lack of business for the guitar player or inability to get together and play this would not be happening.
The band members were being supported financially by the income of the band?

wire-n-wood

Silver Supporting Member
Sorry to hear this. But if you still have the songs, the singer, and you play guitar... then you've actually still got the goods for the other guys to come back to, or for new players to join up.

Covid has pretty much ended my band too. Although, mine is the pub cover band that you're not old enough for yet. Hehehehe. Once our calendar was wiped clean, our bass player took the opportunity to decide he wanted to pursue his own creative direction. And the other three of us haven't really found the unified enthusiasm to pick things up again. It's pretty much just down to the singer and me who will likely be getting back into duo work. One wedding booked for next month, so just enough to schedule a practice, shake of the cobwebs, and keep us feeling like we still have an act.

R2-DD2

:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao

Seriously, how did you get that from what I posted and what does that have to do with anything?
pretty reasonable guess. nothing in your post is covid related, everyone's just moving away, trying to figure it out.

if it's any consolation, the Viper room's just another pay-to-play joint on the strip these days. No big loss there.

-sku-

I realize, considering your other posts on the subject, that this is sarcasm. But we have not been meeting. This is a large part of the problem. Have not seen the guitar player who is moving since March. The bass player I've seen once, and that was a chance meeting outside of a fast food place.
No sarcasm. That is literally the only thing you can do now.

andrus108

I'm in a similar boat, although I feel like a rat that abandoned a ship before it sank from the looks of it (pun accidental! :-D). I was getting dissatisfied with the direction my last band was heading, so early this year, pretty much right after everything closed, and I quit my job (what a great time to do that!....not), I suggested to my former band mates that since I have no idea what my future looks like they replace me with someone more stable. We've had a ball rolling before that, video release, some gigs have happened (could have been more if not for chemical dependencies.....), and ever since I left the band I only saw one pic from a rehearsal, and that's it. Can't say for sure if they disbanded, but clearly they've gone from very active to dead quiet.

Meanwhile, I've been honing my newly found vocal skills, returned to guitar.... and generally I like what I'm doing right now. I almost feel guilty for saying I'm having the time of life for finding a really interesting direction in my life, when there's so much suffering around, and it's not over yet.

But I will say it: I'm having the time of my life. Hope those who still can, also are. Watch this space :-D

andybaylor

Silver Supporting Member
Sorry to hear that. People don’t realize what it takes, and how long it takes.

pretty reasonable guess. nothing in your post is covid related, everyone's just moving away, trying to figure it out.

if it's any consolation, the Viper room's just another pay-to-play joint on the strip these days. No big loss there.
Do tell, where are the good rooms in LA?

And, how often do you play them?

Last edited:

Trending Topics