• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!
  • If you are seeing this, you are on the new TGP servers. Bear with us as we work out any issues related to the move. The end result should be a far better snappier experience on TGP. *Notice: You can close this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner.

Appears COVID has killed my band

John Hurtt

Gold Supporting Member
:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao

Seriously, how did you get that from what I posted and what does that have to do with anything?
I got that from this in your post:

lack of business for the guitar player

The rest of your post talks about a couple members moving away, which happened to lots of bands pre-Covid. Regardless, sorry that your band is breaking up and hope that things work out.

Frustrating to say the least.

I definitely think the whole Covid situation is going to have unforeseen things happen to bands, companies, organizations and people going forward after the main pandemic is over.

I read a post yesterday at another site about a guy whose guitar teacher died of Covid and he was gutted about it understandably so. A good teacher is someone you learn and grow with.

GuitarGuy66

Silver Supporting Member
We were a band for 11 solid years. Our singer moved in April, 16 hours away. So we will do what we can with the 3 of us left. There’s been a bit of talk about teaming up with a singer in the next town. Good kid. He gigs with players from the city. I’ve talked with him and he’s open to the idea. Combine his songs with ours and we are back in business.

In the meantime everyone is laying pretty low due to Covid. No practices, no gigs, no nothing. It’s the best plan of action at the moment.

R2-DD2

Sorry to hear that. People don’t realize what it takes, and how long it takes.

Do tell, where are the good rooms in LA?

And, how often do you play them?
there's good spots on the east side that actually curate a scene and give bands residencies and whatnot: echoplex, spaceland, the satellite

There's good lower level spots and bars all over: Redwood, Harvard & Stone, Trip in Santa Monica. I always liked The Good Hurt, but they closed down i think.

I've since moved away from LA, and I'm not a rock star, but I played everywhere, including the strip, which is how I know about the situation over there.

Maybe you're not familiar with the scene in LA, but the Sunset Strip has not been a serious music destination in decades and that's not a controversial statement.

It's not like how you probably imagine it, or how it once was. The system now is that clubs make bands pony up cash in the form of pre-sold tickets so they can say "I played the Whiskey". So you get these weird mixed bills of no-name bands that either ate the cost of the show or got a bunch of friends to come out ONCE. All booking reflects a band's ability to eat cost or have a one-off crowd funded show and not talent, so you've got almost no odds of catching a good band.

There's an informal understanding among bands in LA that playing those types of places is like sleeping with a hooker, it's not something you brag about any more.

This is not to deride OP for playing the Viper Room, I'm sure his band was great. I'm just saying he shouldn't be extra upset about losing a band that played the Viper Room.

jblake

Gold Supporting Member
Are you sure it didn’t die of something else and get counted as a COVID fatality anyway?

:hide

Last edited:

fetishfrog

Sorry to hear OP. Starting an original band is an uphill battle, even as a youngster.

But I get the drive to do so. I am seriously considering moving back to LA simply because the original music scene is far more accessible for a guy my age (46) than where I am now, and I have a ton of music playing friends there that would be happy to pick up where we left off, or start something new.

If there are no issues form other members with playing the songs you've written, wait until things return to normal, and get after it again. Trade files online with new players are you might be able to pick up where you left off.

Robot B9

Start a solo record. Covid has been a nightmare, but it’s giving me some time to work out new music and record.

andybaylor

Silver Supporting Member
there's good spots on the east side that actually curate a scene and give bands residencies and whatnot: echoplex, spaceland, the satellite

There's good lower level spots and bars all over: Redwood, Harvard & Stone, Trip in Santa Monica. I always liked The Good Hurt, but they closed down i think.

I've since moved away from LA, and I'm not a rock star, but I played everywhere, including the strip, which is how I know about the situation over there.

Maybe you're not familiar with the scene in LA, but the Sunset Strip has not been a serious music destination in decades and that's not a controversial statement.

It's not like how you probably imagine it, or how it once was. The system now is that clubs make bands pony up cash in the form of pre-sold tickets so they can say "I played the Whiskey". So you get these weird mixed bills of no-name bands that either ate the cost of the show or got a bunch of friends to come out ONCE. All booking reflects a band's ability to eat cost or have a one-off crowd funded show and not talent, so you've got almost no odds of catching a good band.

There's an informal understanding among bands in LA that playing those types of places is like sleeping with a hooker, it's not something you brag about any more.

This is not to deride OP for playing the Viper Room, I'm sure his band was great. I'm just saying he shouldn't be extra upset about losing a band that played the Viper Room.
Hey, you’re still a rockstar. It’s like the mob.
The OP was obviously looking forward to the gig, and for that I share his pain. Losing gigs is the worst. And out there? Ugh.
Speaking for myself, in my 50s, mortality is becoming more apparent by the day. I hate the feeling of wasting time, because it’s getting more precious by the second.

ChipOnly

Silver Supporting Member
I wonder how many bands are breaking up in Vietnam, South Korea, New Zealand over covid

guitarman3001

No one in my band has moved away but I'm worried that one of them will just fizzle out due to covid.

Band 1 - together for about two years, started really building some momentum during the second year. Covid hit, we've barely spoken since March, got together one time a couple of months ago for an outdoor jam, and that's pretty much it. Maybe the occasional email once every month or two to make sure everyone's still alive and kicking.

Band 2 - I'm more optimistic about this one. I auditioned and got the gig literally in March, had our first gig scheduled in April with a bunch of gigs scheduled between April and October. Covid canceled everything. But, we've gotten together several times for outdoor rehearsals and are trying to stay ready to gig at a moment's notice when/if things ever start up again. Biggest problem is that 75% of the tunes I had to learn were brand new to me so I crammed to be ready for the April gig but have since forgotten a lot of them....

OM Flyer

Just heard that one of our guitar players is moving to San Diego. He has offered to Zoom with a replacement to teach him the rhythm parts. But our bass player is moving to Oxnard
So you need a guitarist and a bass player. Tough position, but it's not the end of the world. Start networking and take your guitarist up on his offer to teach the new guy(s).

I'm getting too old to start all over again.
How long were you planning to keep working with this band? A year? Five years? That's plenty of time to work in some new players.

chrisr777

True in a lot of ways. We didn't pay to play there though, we were part of a bill put together by one of the promoters I mentioned. The Whisky has some better names at times, but pay to play is the general rule. Saw Powerman 5000 there a while ago and his brother Rob Zombie sat in. The only really good room on the strip anymore is the Roxy. And good luck getting in there. We've played Trip. As I said, we were getting some notice and hoping for better things.

How long were you planning to keep working with this band? A year? Five years? That's plenty of time to work in some new players.
I wasn't actually planning on having to work with anybody else but this group. It isn't just a band, but family. Singer is my son. Lead guitar is my son-in-law's brother. Bass and rhythm guitar, the two we're losing, are both longtime friends of my son and I. We may work in some new guys, still up in the air. Just won't be quite the same.

Last edited:

Scott SG

Silver Supporting Member
Sorry to hear it man!

Don't worry about the negative posts - stay positive and you'll get things going again!

Guitar Dave T

That sucks. Maybe a different perspective would help?

I am the reason my band is no longer playing due to Covid, and maybe other things.

Since my wife and I are helping out with my 85 year old mom, I made a choice not to risk exposure playing gigs where most everyone is unmasked, which is pretty much any gig.

My choice is also personal, after losing a close friend to this disease, and not wishing to lose any others.

The bassist and drummer, whom I was working steady gigs with, continue to play other gigs with other people, many outdoors, but often indoors, unmasked.

I'm done judging others on this stuff. It's enough to stay busy just keeping my side of the street clean.

Meanwhile, I know nothing about when Covid will be over, and choose to try to be useful in other areas outside of gigging in the meantime, putting in productive hours as a sales engineer & getting paid, practicing at home to keep limber & keep an interest going, wrenching on family cars to keep them running, etc

And who knows what tomorrow will bring. More gigs? The same musicians or new? Fewer gigs? None? I've gotten all my promo stuff and EPK up to date, so I'm prepared, but tomorrow is never a guarantee.

One thing is for certain. I'm sure as hell not going to stress over what I have no control over. Worrying doesn't free tomorrow of its troubles; It only robs today of its peace.

Hope this helps you put a positive spin on things.

Trending Topics