"Appetite for destruction" really is the best hard rock record of all time.

dumdums

Guns N' Roses captured an intensity on that record that can't be equalled. Axl's vocals are just amazing, the instrumental interplay is fantastic, and Adler's drums are ace. The record is so awesome, they couldn't ever write something anywhere near as good. I wish I had been old enough to see one of their shows in the 80's. What a band.

Just wanted to express my reverence for what that band and Mike Clink accomplished.

Last edited:

twoheadedboy

Guns N' Roses captured an intensity on that record that can't be equalled. Axle's vocals are just amazing, the instrumental interplay is fantastic, and Adler's drums are ace. The record is so awesome, they couldn't ever write something anywhere near as good. I wish I had been old enough to see one of their shows in the 80's. What a band.

Just wanted to express my reverence for what that band and Mike Clink accomplished.

That album makes me feel like I need to take a shower and call my mom.

dumdums

It could very well be, along with VH1 (though I personally prefer FW) and Back in Black.
I was thinking about VH1, and I gave the edge to this because Axle was a stronger vocalist than Roth, although one could easily say the truth, which is that EVH kicks the crap out of Slash as a guitar player. Slash writes great riffs and is no slouch, but EVH was just on another level.

dumdums

That album makes me feel like I need to take a shower and call my mom.
Haha. That wake up at 10:00 am under your own deck with an old rug on you for a blanket after you got home at 7:00 am and realized you'd lost your keys and were locked out of the house, still drunk, reeking of whiskey and cigarettes, with the taste of your own blood in your mouth kind of feeling?

mabinogeon

A really hoopy frood.
Gold Supporting Member
Screenshot_20220114-104425_DuckDuckGo.jpg

twoheadedboy

Haha. That wake up at 10:00 am under your own deck with an old rug on you for a blanket after you got home at 7:00 am and realized you'd lost your keys and were locked out of the house, still drunk, reeking of whiskey and cigarettes, with the taste of your own blood in your mouth kind of feeling?

Yup, that's it! I hate that feeling.

I remember being a young teenager, riding around too late at night with dangerous people who were looking for trouble. Appetite was the soundtrack to me feeling unsafe and trying to figure out how to get home.

Last edited:

Drew68

Silver Supporting Member
I can remember exactly where I was when I first heard it.

I had just graduated high school. I was driving. My girlfriend pulled a cassette tape out of her purse and said, "Listen to this!" and popped it into my receiver.

I bought the CD that afternoon.

AFD is absolutely a classic and if you weren't there, a teen metalhead like me, dismayed at the cheesy direction hard rock had gone, it's hard to explain. AFD was exactly what we needed.

And it still holds up today, every last note.

xzacx

I have to agree with this. I'm not much of a hard rock fan, it's just too cheesy. Stuff like Van Halen makes me cringe despite EVH's talent. But I'd never turn it on by choice, just because that's not what I'm into listening to, but AFD really holds up if hear a song playing somewhere. It sounds actually aggressive at times rather than the faux aggression that plagues so much hard rock.

Top Bottom