Apple Crippled The New Mac Mini

tomaburque

Mac Minis are excellent music computers because they are small, dead quiet and reasonable in price. I just noticed that the MM Haswell refresh announced last Thursday they are now only offered in dual core. They eliminated the quad core options. Really Apple, you crippled the Mac Mini? Why? :confused:

Music production is one place you actually need all those cores. The 2012 MM with i7s you get 8 logical cores with Hyper Threading and it tears through folders full of music files when I convert flacs to wavs like whoa because of the 8 threads. The new MM will have 4 threads max. And Haswell is only a minor cpu boost so the new 2 core MM will be considerably slower than the 4 core Ivy Bridge MM in multicore applications.

But there's more. The ram in the 2012 MM was easily upgradable. Buy the unit with the base ram, pop the bottom off and stick in some commodity ram easy as pie. No longer. Apple made the 2014 MM so you'll have to pay the Apple tax if you want more ram and anyone using a computer for home recording will want to max the ram. If you are in the market for a music production MM you will want the 2012 model not the 2014. It's clear they intentionally neutered the high end Mac Minis so that they won't compete with Apple's more expensive computers like the Mac Book Pro and iMacs and the new Mac Pro.

Being a consumer of Apple products is like being in love with a beautiful woman that sometimes you cannot stand. :bitch:bitch On the other hand, the base model is only $499 and should run any software guitar amp modeler just fine with a dual core and 4 gigs of ram.

Last edited:

Pietro

2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy
More annoying?

No USB ports on the front still. headphone jack and SD slots on the back. Ridiculous.

And the newest generation of MacBook Pros has gone backwards in recyclability. Basically none the way they're made now.

And much of what I've read about the SSD drives says they are simply waitin' to fail, especially for musical applications.

That said, my 13" 2012 MBP withOUT Retina screen and dual-core 2.9ghz i7 handles everything I throw at it.

tomaburque

USB ports on the front would spoil the clean lines and Jobs was all about appearance being more important than functionality.

Pietro

USB ports on the front would spoil the clean lines and Jobs was all about appearance being more important than functionality.
pshaw... make a cool cover.

And the SD card slot... reaching around behind our iMac at work for it is just freaking annoying. You have to turn the whole computer around.

Silly.

And they abandoned optical drives way way too fast, imho. I still use them, often.

Pietro

Yes - it's a conspiracy.
There's a really simple solution - don't buy one.
Perhaps you are missing the point. In which case, there's a simple solution. Don't comment...

There are a good number of us who are using these tools in our gainful employment, our artistic endeavors, or both, and rely heavily on them for our very livelihood.

When Apple makes seemingly boneheaded decisions about a product that is central to the way I do my work, It hurts. It makes it harder to upgrade and stay current. It's worth bitching about.

Apple has been designing way more "planned obsolescence" into their products than ever before.

It chaps my butt that my not-very-old iPad 1 can't run ANY new apps I am interested in, even really simple ones, because Apple "discourages" developers from developing apps that are backward compatible.

mwc2112

Gold Supporting Member
I think it's pretty clear that they consider the new Mini a 'general purpose, everyday computer' as opposed to a workstation or something geared towards heavy productivity in a single area (like music production or graphics applications).

I think they look great and the small size is impressive... but for computers I prefer function over form and in general agree with others that difficult port accessibility and lack of higher-end processor options is a major turn off.

Unnecessary

Maybe you should consider a small format PC that you can probably get whatever processor you want, with whatever disc drive you want....then you don't have to be at the mercy of what Apple wants.....proprietary connectors, form over function, lack of support for previous OS....why do people like Macs so much again?

FPFL

Silver Supporting Member
Wasn't boneheaded, it was about a pricepoint.
the mini is the entry point offering. has to be inexpensive first.

The new Haswell chipset is a big upgrade in many ways more important than just core count!

Until you've benched the apps in question this is just performance lawn darting. The cores themselves are going to execute work more quickly, and yes there are only two, but everything around them is faster and that matters too!

-P

M

Member 995

I've been looking at the new Mac Minis. We still use a 2006 Mac Mini regularly!

jpage

Perhaps you are missing the point. In which case, there's a simple solution. Don't comment...

There are a good number of us who are using these tools in our gainful employment, our artistic endeavors, or both, and rely heavily on them for our very livelihood.

When Apple makes seemingly boneheaded decisions about a product that is central to the way I do my work, It hurts. It makes it harder to upgrade and stay current. It's worth bitching about.

Apple has been designing way more "planned obsolescence" into their products than ever before.

It chaps my butt that my not-very-old iPad 1 can't run ANY new apps I am interested in, even really simple ones, because Apple "discourages" developers from developing apps that are backward compatible.
Of course you are welcome to bitch but it does sound like you are answering your own question. There are far more cost effective and less proprietary solutions out there.

Pietro

Of course you are welcome to bitch but it does sound like you are answering your own question. There are far more cost effective and less proprietary solutions out there that suck really bad and you don't want to have to mess with.
fixed it for you.

I think it's pretty clear that they consider the new Mini a 'general purpose, everyday computer' ...
And yet, they have been selling it as a server for years... go figure.

omahaaudio

“Really Apple, you crippled the Mac Mini? Why?”
To make you consider spending more money buying an iMac.

“No USB ports on the front still”
Turn it around so that the USB ports are facing you.

“Don't comment...”
You first.

“It's worth bitching about”
If it’s not going to change anything, and it won’t, it isn’t really worth bitching about.

“Apple has been designing way more "planned obsolescence" into their products than ever before”
Your "planned obsolescence" is their “efficient manufacturing”.

“...why do people like Macs so much again?”
The operating system.

“I’ve been looking at the new Mac Minis”
They are looking back at you.

vinney57

Two core because Intel changed the socket for the 4 core Haswell chips and it's simply not worth it to Apple to run up a second design and manufacturing line for a new board layout. Hopefully Intel will get their act together in 2015 or Apple will move to their own chip designs.

Memory is soldered because it's cheaper obviously. Server option is deleted because not enough people bought it. This Mini is clearly a run-out model until a replacement in 2015/16

I run a Mini at the moment but the next machine will an iMac 5K - that machine moves the game on significantly (within the constraints of the Intel chips available).

These things are considered business decisions. Bitching about them is pathetic and pointless.

Pietro

Bitching about them is pathetic and pointless.

Nonsense.

When Apple first beta-tested the very first release of Mac OS X, they changed a bunch of things that beta testers HATED and complained about.

Apple didn't force those design decisions down people's throats, they responded to the complaints (example... moving the apple menu to the center of the top of the screen. NOT where people wanted it.)

By the same token, often when a product's features are complained about, the manufacturer takes notice.

Those of us who are heavily invested in using Macs for our work (I have THOUSANDS invested in software myself) have a perfect right, and perhaps a responsibility, to let Apple know, and discuss publicly, the things we find fault with.

BCnSTL

Look - Apple sells MILLIONS and MILLIONS of computers. A small fraction of which are sold to creative professionals. We don't comprise a large enough addressable market to justify the custom engineering required to support the new quad-core chips.

It's a business decision not a conspiracy, not a personal affront. Seriously - you sound silly pitching a fit like this but don't let me stop you.

Pietro

Apple listens to creative professionals I'm pretty sure.

richpjr

I think Apple got caught waiting for Intel to release Broadwell and when that was delayed, it likely forced Apple to do an interim release which is what we got.

Pietro

Crap. I hadn't read that. Is it that common? How do they fail?
I haven't had time to hunt down where I saw that, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was alarmist nonsense or FUD by the hard drive makers...

I have found some indication that recording guys are using SSDs and loving them, so, there's that.

iirc, what I did hear was that the number of Read/Write cycles that SSDs were designed for was significantly smaller than conventional Hard Drives... but that info, again, could have been old.

EDIT: Got my posts mixed up. Nixed that last part.

Trending Topics