• Yamaha dxr10 powered monitor

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • stfu and play guitar more instead

Votes: 7 50.0%

• Total voters

JiveTurkey

Trumpets and Tants
Silver Supporting Member
Inspired by the 2017 purchases thread; I have been doing some thinking.

I currently have the Alesis Alpha (x2). They still sound great but in true TGP tradition; I want to "upgrade" this year. Pick one and explain why?

Quick criteria. I would like something lighter; though after looking at Alesis specs; it's going to be near impossible to get lighter than 31lbs. I'll settle for something that doesn't require a speaker stand instead. Better sound dispersion is a plus. Alesis is great right by it but doesn't project very wide or far. As a side note; I am scared of using a powered 10; so the Yamaha scares me. If there are other "better than Alesis" choices in 10 form factor; I'll accept write in candidates :p

Also; CLR is too rich for my blood still.

jmtaylor22

What about the Matrix FR10 or FR12? I just bought the FR10 (upgrading from the Alto TS210). I think the matrix sounds a lot better. In your case the FR12 would probably be a better choice. They are super light, the FR10 is shockingly light and small for the sound it puts out.

They are not cheap though.

JiveTurkey

Trumpets and Tants
Silver Supporting Member
What about the Matrix FR10 or FR12? I just bought the FR10 (upgrading from the Alto TS210). I think the matrix sounds a lot better. In your case the FR12 would probably be a better choice. They are super light, the FR10 is shockingly light and small for the sound it puts out.

They are not cheap though.
Didn't think about that brand. Weight is good; price is little higher but not CLR high. Do you find 10s ok versus 12s? One of my old attitude holdouts where I think I am not going to dig 10s for guitar. For no real reason.

jmtaylor22

Didn't think about that brand. Weight is good; price is little higher but not CLR high. Do you find 10s ok versus 12s? One of my old attitude holdouts where I think I am not going to dig 10s for guitar. For no real reason.

Well it was a tough call for me, I could not try them supposedly they sound very similar 10 vs 12. I ended up going with the 10 because I mostly just play at home so don't need a ton of volume. The 10 sounds great to me, plenty of bass. I would say though not super loud, I would probably go with the 12 if I played out more just to be on the safe side.

It doesn't have a fan, but there is some hiss but not ridiculous amounts. I guess most FRFR speakers have some hiss, I would say a bit more than the Alto honestly, but not noticeable when playing.

I had a regular CLR a couple of years ago, ended up stupidly selling it when I went back to amps. From what I can recall the FR10 sounds as good to me, but obviously a bit cheaper and lighter. But that is only off of memory, I am really happy with the FR10's sound though. Really nice in my opinion. I am sure the CLR is louder than the FR10.

Last edited:

JiveTurkey

Trumpets and Tants
Silver Supporting Member
LOL that was me. Not that I ever take my own advice. :D

(And in my defense, I'd have worded that option without the STFU.)
:crazyguyIt's all good! I really take heed of that advice, to be completely honest :hide Too much fun tweaking gear! :beer

mbenigni

:crazyguyIt's all good! I really take heed of that advice, to be completely honest :hide Too much fun tweaking gear! :beer

Don't I know it. And you can obsess over gear when you're stuck at work or wherever else - with your guitar(s) miles away.

Seriously, though - depending on where and how you're using them - I suspect the Alphas -> whatever will be well into the law of diminishing returns. (Take with a grain of salt as I've never heard the Alphas myself.)

As for "STFU", I only meant "Save the Funds Up". ;)

JiveTurkey

Trumpets and Tants
Silver Supporting Member
^Exactamundo. Diminishing returns is really tough to justify too. Especially since selling frfr cabs (if you don't dig them) seems like it would probably be a crap shoot PITA.

mbenigni

^Exactamundo. Diminishing returns is really tough to justify too. Especially since selling frfr cabs (if you don't dig them) seems like it would probably be a crap shoot PITA.

Yep. It would be nice to find a brick-and-mortar shop with a "PA room", but I've yet to encounter that. You can walk into any big store and A/B near-fields all day long, but the powered cabs are always piled up against a wall collecting dust. So finding the right match is a pretty onerous trial-and-error process.

Full disclosure from Mr. "STFU" ;) I actually bought myself a TS210 last month, but I guess that would be a downgrade from where you're at. I had ditched an EV112P about a year ago and didn't have any portable monitoring solution. The TS210 sounds a lot better for about half the price.

I've forgotten - are you running Kemper? Axe FX?

Last edited:

mbenigni

It's wrong that can only select one poll option... :jo

Yeah, the previously verboten second response is: combo amps are always fun, and different enough to get outside the "diminishing returns" law. And I'm quietly gassing for a Katana LOL.

But I will Save The Funds Up. :D

Last edited:

JiveTurkey

Trumpets and Tants
Silver Supporting Member
Kemper, @mbenigni I am in a fairly rural area so in person options are pretty much non-existant without driving 2 hours or so. Even then there would probably be none of the good usual suspects to try.

JiveTurkey

Trumpets and Tants
Silver Supporting Member
Yeah, the previously verboten second response is: combo amps are always fun, and different enough to get outside the "diminishing returns" law. And I'm quietly gassing for a Katana LOL.

But I will Save Up the Funds. :D
Save The Funds Up ;) That's what's cool about the Katana option(s) in my poll. It's a combo. It should work as a monitoring solution. Whether it will be better than the Alesis and not a PITA to flip down the road is another story though...

mbenigni

Kemper, @mbenigni I am in a fairly rural area so in person options are pretty much non-existant without driving 2 hours or so. Even then there would probably be none of the good usual suspects to try.

One thing I remember about Kemper ownership was the sense that "I have the best sounding amp sims, ergo I must eternally chase the best sounding monitoring solution." But for my limited budget saving me from myself LOL. My "Helix mindset" tends to be more practical i.e. how can I get the job done for a reasonable amount of money and without breaking my back.

Save The Funds Up ;) That's what's cool about the Katana option(s) in my poll. It's a combo. It should work as a monitoring solution. Whether it will be better than the Alesis and not a PITA to flip down the road is another story though...

Katana looks like a great value. But as for its potentially working "better" than the Alesis, it is - as you said yourself - totally apples and oranges. A guitar cab is always the fastest route to a gratifying guitar sound, but you're always going to sound (somewhat) like that cab. (After a decade+ pursuing the FR thing, I think the practical importance of this may be pretty limited. Main reason I still gravitate toward FR is because one rig can share vocal, synth, etc. duties when needed.)

I do suspect you'd have an easier time flipping a Katana vs. a high end powered monitor - at least for the foreseeable future - should it come to that.

Last edited:

TJontheRoad

Just Wanna Be Misunderstood
Gold Supporting Member
If you're thinking about a combo at all, you might want to consider a 4CM tube amp rig. Keep your Alexis for smaller arenas.

JiveTurkey

Trumpets and Tants
Silver Supporting Member
One thing I remember about Kemper ownership was the sense that "I have the best sounding amp sims, ergo I must eternally chase the best sounding monitoring solution." But for my limited budget saving me from myself LOL. My "Helix mindset" tends to be more practical i.e. how can I get the job done for a reasonably amount of money and without breaking my back.

Katana looks like a great value. But as for its potentially working "better" than the Alesis, it is - as you said yourself - totally apples and oranges. A guitar cab is always the fastest route to a gratifying guitar sound, but you're always going to sound (somewhat) like that cab. (After a decade+ pursuing the FR thing, I think the practical importance of this may be pretty limited. Main reason I still gravitate toward FR is because one rig can share vocal, synth, etc. duties when needed.)
Add to that, for me; that I could care less about "amp in the room". On top of that, the rabbit hole (and one main instigator of this thread) is I don't want to rely on the soundman to provide my stage monitoring for my guitar tone nor do I want to just use our monitors when we run sound while everyone else brings their own amps/rigs. Vicious circle I tell you :mad:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom