Application of Feedback Looper

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jlearman, Feb 14, 2006.

1. jlearman

jlearman Member

Ordered a custom 2 loooper and put a feedback pot on 1 channel & a blend pot on the other. However, I'm having a hard time finding any sort of reasonable use for the feedback pot. Most of the time I feel like it does absolutely nothing. When I crank it all the way up and put a delay in the loop I get crazy oscillating madness...but it's pretty unusable. I was hoping to get some literal feedback...but of the more controllable sort. Anyone have an experience with getting cool sounds from these things?

Thanks!
    Joe

2. b_rad

b_rad Member

Feedback loops are finicky monsters. It's definitely possible to get some cool sounds out of them, but it takes some experimenting. Most of the effect is usually at the end of the knob's sweep, so it can be difficult to dial in.

A feedback loop can do something as simple as making an existing effect sound more pronounced (chorus, flanger, etc). As you've discovered it can make just about any delay self-oscillate. It can make phasers sound like sirens or make just about any fuzz react in gated, synthy ways. Lots of fun stuff.

I find that it's best as a texture thing in recording situations or just as a cool noise maker for a song or two. It's not something that most people will find a lot of uses for in a classic rock or blues band.

3. drolling

drolling Member

Unkle Slam's right on the money, as always.

I use the feedback loop in my E13 TBD fuzz to create droning tones that I loop and solo over, but the results are unpredictable, and often bear no resemblance whatsoever to the original effect.

It's given a new lease on life to some pedals I hadn't used in years, but like Unka says, it's not something I'm gonna whip out in my stones cover band.

4. KustietheKlown

KustietheKlown Member

On my Loooper feedback loop, i go BF2 flanger --> AW3 Dynamic wah --> DOD circuit bent flanger --> DD6 delay

I really like what happens when the sound goes from flanger to flanger. i keep the BF2 set at a regular, normal flanger setting and the DOD at a pure oscillation madness setting.

Sometimes i just keep the 2 flangers on while i'm playing, and the cumulative effect is like nasty seagulls occasionally making trails off my note in a very unpredictable fashion.

If i like the sound i'm making, i engage the DD6 for a second with the feedback on the DD6 set to max which (because it's a feedback loop) will cause whatever sound is caught in the pedal while it's engaged to spin around and around forever.

The AW3 is good for adding random cricket chirps and car alarm type sounds to the whole texture.

I really like the feedback effect, it's definitely trippy. I'm sure the listener is like "How the hell is that done?" It's a sound i've never really heard anyone do.

Incidentally, my Effector 13 fuzz pedals don't work in the feedback loop. I'm told that MXR phasers don't work either.

5. dodelson

dodelson Member

Question about feedback loops: can you put all of your effects in them and then just bypass the loop when you don't want any craziness?

6. Higgie

Higgie Member

With the Barge Concepts VFB-2 you can have all your effects on and have normal effects texturing, then you can kick in the feedback with a seperate switch.

So you can also turn the feedback off while leaving said pedals on.

7. Andy J.

Andy J. Member

This past summer I built myself a TB-looper with a feedback loop, haven't been using the feedback feature too much yet, guess I'll have to explore it a bit more...

8. Andy J.

Andy J. Member

This past summer I built myself a TB-looper with a feedback loop, haven't been using the feedback feature too much yet, guess I'll have to explore it a bit more... I tried it with fuzzes, and they oscillated like crazy, but my favorite settings on my delay aren't affected at all by the feedback.

9. vulcaniza P

vulcaniza P Member

i own an audible disease rupture feedback loop. nice n nasty lil box i got from noise-fx.
    i usually only run it about a third of the way up.
    i really like how an octave up effect sounds thorugh it. it raises it another octave. this can be increased if i turn up the feedback pedal. my small stone sounds more lush through it. when i had a wah pedal in the mix it created an instant feedback filtering insanity. my guyatone wah rocker 2 goes nuts through it. it's really cool controling the audio beast that awakens when i turn on the reverse effect (patch #10) on my spacestation with some delay in da loop.
    it can also make my dirt sound and feel a lil smoother.... i like.
    not for the faint of heart for sure. i prolly use mine more than i should.

10. Antero

Antero Member

Which pedals? I have a Soda Meiser, and on the Chaos mode it makes some of the craziest noises I have ever heard in a feedback loop.