Applying a master volume to a Twin Reverb RI

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by joelfisk3786, Jan 24, 2008.

1. joelfisk3786

joelfisk3786 Member

Hello

Does anyone know anything about applying a master volume to a Twin Reverb '65 Reissue?

Can it be done? If so, how?

Thanks in advance

Joel
    www.myspace.com/thehokiejoint

2. guitarpkr67

guitarpkr67 Supporting Member

I don't think it would turn out like you think. To get those amp to break up good you have to push the preamp and power amp. If you put a MV in you will not be pushing the power amp enough.

3. joelfisk3786

joelfisk3786 Member

Fair enough, just a thought. I saw one the other day, and wondered what they'd be like.

Any suggestions on valves with early break-up for twins?

4. AL30

AL30 Member

Putting a 12AX7 in the PI slot will help some. I have a MV twin which really doesn't sound too good to my ears unless the MV is set pretty high.

You're gonna need a pedal if you want the early break-up - and humbuckers certainly help.

AL

5. hasserl

hasserl Member

The stock MV is like that. Use the post PI MV like we discussed in another thread, it's a totally different ballgame and it works well. Just try the Matchless style crossline MV first. It's super easy to wire up. They do seem to be amp dependent, working well on some but not on others. But they are so simple to install just give it a try and see if it doesn't work for you.

Same answer for the OP. Do you have a spot on the amp where you can mount the MV pot? Try a crossline style MV.

If the corssline MV doesn't float your boat there are a couple other post PI MV styles, I've used the so called Ken Fisher MV in Fender amps also with great success. That's probably the most transparent MV, of all, but it is a bit trickier to install than the crossline.

In any case, the first response you got is flat out wrong. These amps respond well to a master volume. You do NOT need to push the power tubes, in fact by the time you get the power tubes to offer up ANY distortion the PI will be clipping like a rabid dog all over the signal, and the volume will be so loud you'd better be playing at Shea Stadium to take it. Seriously, a post PI MV works wonders in these amps, and are well worth the effort to install.

6. joelfisk3786

joelfisk3786 Member

Brilliant, thanks for the info.

Don't suppoes you know of any sites with detailed instructions on applying this?

I won't be doing it myself by the way, I don't trust my technical skills without a guitar in my hand!

7. AL30

AL30 Member

Hasserl,

I recall the other (recent) MV thread but you didn't answer when asked about the MV you were talking about. Which Matchless amp? And do you have a copy of the Ken Fisher schem? I would like to try them. I never liked the stock MV on my twin.

Thanks,

AL

8. bluescube

bluescube Supporting Member

I had this guy install a trainwreck master volume on vibrosonic reverb (twin with 15" EVML)

Dean Zink
    D.R. Zink - drzink@aol.com
    1895 Woodland
    Sylvan Lake, MI 48320
    Phone 248-681-5104
    Accepts cash (preferred) and personal check.
    Price quotes available on request.