Appraisal for Insurance

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Lizard Leg, Jul 25, 2008.

1. Lizard Leg

Lizard Leg Member

I have to get any of my gear valued at $1k or more appraised for my new insurance policy - where do I find someone qualified to do this?

2. Dr Git

Dr Git Member

I just looked into this myself. My insurance company does the same thing. You can have them appraised at Gruhn or send them pics via email and they can appraise them. The cost is $50 each guitar. You'll need to pay them an additional $25 every few years because guitars values usually go up. Say every 5 years. My insurance co charges $38 per thousand per year additional....I still haven't done it:jo

3. Lizard Leg

Lizard Leg Member

thanks for the info!

and wow - mine is only charging me $15 per M additional...

4. jrm

jrm Member

I went ahead and purchased musicians insurance from heritage. They don't require appraisals unless it is a very rare/expensive/unique piece of gear. Instead they rely on agreed upon market values (I believe this is how it works). The whole band has all our gear insured through them and it is very affordable. Just another option!

5. franksguitar

franksguitar Member

You can add a rider on your homeowners. I once had LLoyds of London when I played valuable vintage instruments alot in NYC and was charged 5% of appraised value. I know George Gruhn does them but it costs.