Appraise my 75' Gibson sg !

Drewchav

Hey ya'll! So, I've just become part of this forum to learn more about the technicalities of guitar craftsmanship and gear in general. I have a gibson sg from 1975 in a tobacco burst that I'm getting pretty soon for 1,500. I wanted to know what sort of prices I could get away with selling it for? If they hold their value. Also, do you think this is worth it? Because before this I was more interested in used sg standards from the 90's that go for about 799$ but fell in love wit this one at GC

any thoughts opinions are appreciated! Any experience with SG's and vintage instruments are welcome

TattooedCarrot

Silver Supporting Member
Standard? What condition? $1500 seems on the high end I think. I bought a '78 Standard from GC about a year ago, well worn but no breaks and all stock for $1,000 (marked down from the original tag of $1200). Thing about vintage gear at GC is they're not allowed to negotiate the prices at all, the vintage prices are set by their corporate. I have my vintage price guide at home, I'll take a look later. They're not high dollar collectibles.

sleep

I recently sold a '79 SG Standard in very, very good condition, all original with original case (also in great condition) for $1500.

The deal is probably OK, you're paying towards the high end of retail for it but if you love it that doesn't matter. Breaking even is the best I think you can hope for if you change your mind and sell it (and that's if it's an SG Standard).

Here's a pic of my old one:

335guy

Yeah, IMO, $1500 for an SG from '75 is a bit high, even if the guitar was mint. Those 70's SG's don't compare to the ones built in the 60's before the Norlin corp got a hold of Gibson. I'd rather get a new SG Standard than a 70's SG. About the same cost.

RE: it holding it's value @ $1500. There isn't anything special about those 70's SG's to make them a collectible. You MIGHT get your money back, might not. Seems as though these days, it's a buyer's market and the only guitars that sell are ones either very much in demand or priced low.

Drewchav

Yeah it's a tobacco burst standard.

I love it and it plays great and I feel like it's a good investment, especially as my first SG. It has character. 1,500 is after tax. It came out to 1,504. Marked as 1,399$. I would just like to be able to sell it in the future without losing to much money so I can get something else.

Any thoughts on this particular site i posted above? That's my same guitar and it sold for 3,000?+

DonP

You need to negotiate tat price down at GC. I'd try to get as close to $1000 as possible.

I have a 98 Std. and a 12 Std. Had a 1979 and sold it for $1350 ten years ago.

sleep

That price is ridiculous. It does say it has a Brazilian rosewood fretboard, but I would never, ever pay $3k that for that guitar.

I had an 1980 with the same finish, sold it for $800 on eBay. It had 'character'.

You will probably get close to your money back IMO if it's in great shape and all original; that is from my experience, not just an opinion, with very similar guitars. It would have to be totally original and in great shape w/OHSC. Without seeing it it's hard to really give you a good estimate.

Also, bear in mind that GC is going to price it higher than a local sale could hope to realize, they have much more exposure. They also have a lot of resources in determining what a popular model is worth.

Last edited:

sleep

Yeah, IMO, $1500 for an SG from '75 is a bit high, even if the guitar was mint. Those 70's SG's don't compare to the ones built in the 60's before the Norlin corp got a hold of Gibson. I'd rather get a new SG Standard than a 70's SG. About the same cost.

RE: it holding it's value @ $1500. There isn't anything special about those 70's SG's to make them a collectible. You MIGHT get your money back, might not. Seems as though these days, it's a buyer's market and the only guitars that sell are ones either very much in demand or priced low.
There is something different about those guitars- the narrow nut. Whether you like that or not, it's different than what's available now. I personally like the tarbacks as well.

Drewchav

Thank you all for the feedback. So... Bottom line... Do you think im better off spending my money on a used 90's SG standards? I just want a more thin neck. I don't really like how modern sg's are set up.

What would you guys do?

Drewchav

Also, when I first inquired about the guitar I asked f they could cut down the price of at least take off tax and they told me since it just got their fairly recently that they couldn't do that.

Drewchav

Also, what is the value of a vintage guitar subject to? How is a gibson sg that was worth maybe a couple hindered in 60's/70's, appraised to thousands today? Since it is not new like the ones marked for 1,000... Where is the starting point?

sleep

Also, what is the value of a vintage guitar subject to? How is a gibson sg that was worth maybe a couple hindered in 60's/70's, appraised to thousands today? Since it is not new like the ones marked for 1,000... Where is the starting point?
Once you take inflation into account a few hundred in the early 70's and a thousand or so today are close to even. That said, if the guitar could still sell for what it cost new in the 1970s in the equivalent of today's dollars, then the cost of ownership was minimal. Compare that to, for example, a TV from 1970 or a typical stereo system which has little to no value now.

The guitar that you posted from the dealer, if it sold for that, is an anomaly; maybe the dealer found someone who just had to have it, maybe the brazilian board is worth that much to someone. But it is NOT the normal price range for that era of SG.

For many people, "vintage' ends in the late 1960s; those guitars have had meteoric value increases that have little to do with inflation- it is a lot nostalgia and proximity to greatness (think bursts & Page, etc). The 70s Gibsons, with a few exceptions like the Vs and Explorers haven't gained (or lost) much over time.

In general, a 70's Gibson is going to be worth more if it's all original and in fantastic shape with the original case. There are a lot of them around and it's a buyer's market right now; however, the 70's and 80's saw a lot of modding (pickups, switches, kahlers and floyds) so finding one that isn't a bit hacked up can be harder.

If it were me, I'd choose the 90's SG if it has the original case and is in great shape. I don't like the thin neck width (not depth) of the 70's SGs. There are some very nice 90's SGs, some have ABR-1s. I think they're pretty cheap right now for what they are, especially considering that Gibson's jacked up their prices lately.

But it all comes down to originality, playability (your preference) and condition as to which of the two I'd pick in your situation.

Last edited:

minorseventh

Thank you all for the feedback. So... Bottom line... Do you think im better off spending my money on a used 90's SG standards? I just want a more thin neck. I don't really like how modern sg's are set up.

What would you guys do?

if youre looking to spend at least 1500, and your want a really thin neck, then maybe kick in a few more bucks and look for a recent Angus Young model, or even a Roxy. (I did see a Roxy a few weeks ago for 1500, so theyre out there). both have very fast and thin necks.

The prices for Norlin SGs are really all over the place, but that one you linked that sold for 3750... that one takes the cake. Im kind of skeptical it sold for that much. The buyer could have talked them down considerably or traded for it.

smolder

Platinum Supporting Member
Sleep makes a great point regarding inflation. I bought a late 60's SG in the early seventies for $125. I used to think that was cheap. My mid 2000's SG Classic is a way better guitar and I bought it used as well for $600. What is that 125 bucks worth today?

Drewchav

Thank you guys for the info. I love the sunburst color so it will be hard to change now. But we'll see what happens guys! Thank you! Until next time

=JL=

Thank you guys for the info. I love the sunburst color so it will be hard to change now. But we'll see what happens guys! Thank you! Until next time

If that's what you love then go with it, you'll enjoy it and may even keep it.

But... seeing as the theme of your thread is future resale potential, the sunburst actually counts against it a little. It's just not seen as a classic SG "look" I'm afraid, nice as they are.

Trending Topics