Appreciation Thread: Swedish Guitarists Not Named Malmsteen

Bankston

Since recently confirming my Swedish ancestry through DNA testing, I've been doing a deep dive into Swedish hard rock and metal acts. My ancestors lived in the Gothenburg area, so I've especially taken an interest in all the bands from there.

The death growls and harsh screaming are a barrier for me with some of these acts. Fortunately, there's some great traditional singing as well. It seems like every band I've checked out has at least one monster player.

Obviously, Yngwie is a legend who is deserving of his own thread. John Norum and Kee Marcello are also pretty well known thanks to Europe's commercial success in the 80's.

This thread is intended to focus on some of the names that deserve more attention.

I really dig the way Bjorn Gellote from In Flames plays with great melodic feel, like the tasty solo in this song:

Henrik Danhage from Evergrey is another favorite. Charvel just announced a new limited edition sig model with him:

Oskar Dronjak and Pontus Norgren are a fun, old school metal twin-guitar attack. Pontus, especially, can play his a$$ off:

And, of course, Stockholm's Opeth has Mikael Akerfeldt and Frederik Akesson. Akerfeldt can really play and I like his singing voice much more than the death growl.

Who are some other guitarists from Sweden in particular but all of Scandinavia to check out?

CharAznable

Silver Supporting Member
pffft.jpg

That's dildos

Serious Poo

Powered by Coffee
Platinum Supporting Member
Who are some other guitarists from Sweden in particular but all of Scandinavia to check out?
GREAT thread idea!

I like Olof's work with Amaranthe, he writes interesting high-energy parts but keeps things musical IMHO. This song is pretty fun to play along with.

Tommy from Sabaton is really good too. Love the main riff on this song.

While I'm not really a huge fan of a lot of Emmpu's guitar work in Nightwish, he did something I've personally never heard anyone do before - played a solo so memorable entire audiences regularly sing along with it during their concerts.

Last edited:
M

Member 132475

Given the examples so far, I guess you're asking about hard rock / metal players?

Space Jazzer

Mattias "IA" Eklundh
Jojje Wadenius
Andreas Öberg

And because he always deserves a mentioning in these discussions, despite being a bass player - Jonas Hellborg, the long-time collaborator of Shawn Lane. Brilliant musician.

Space Jazzer

Let's not forget mr Janne Schaffer, who played on slightly short of a gazillion records from the 70's to this day.

Edit: I knew he did quite a lot of work for ABBA, but I had no idea he laid down tracks for TOTO. Damn.

rwe333

Silver Supporting Member
Isn't the badass band PLANKTON Swedish?
Sebastian Sippola - Drums
Tomas "Pomma" Thorberg - Bass
Lars Normalm - Percussion
Emil Fredholm - Guitar
Christian Neppenström - Guitar

gitarrist

Let's not forget mr Janne Schaffer, who played on slightly short of a gazillion records from the 70's to this day.

Edit: I knew he did quite a lot of work for ABBA, but I had no idea he laid down tracks for TOTO. Damn.

Not to mention... The Electric Banana Band!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom