Approach to building a dual plexi/2203 preamp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by LPV, Nov 8, 2018.

1. LPV

LPV Member

I would like to mod my preamp on my 2204 MK2 master circuit (that I built into my Traynor) to switch between an original plexi(ish) type preamp and current MK2 master in there now. I don't need both triodes on the plexi, just the bright and common cathode. The challenges are the voltage dividers and the cold clipper on v2 plus others so I know it can't be 100%. I'm just looking for an approximation of that crackle.

Can anyone suggest a schematic of another amp that does something similar ?

2. fusionbear

fusionbear exquirentibus veritatem Gold Supporting Member

I built an amp like that for a friend. I used completely isolated signal paths. I used a relay right at the input jack and a relay right before the PI entrance to make it work. I used .047 couplers in the PI circuit.

Basically, I used two 12X7's for the Plexi side. I paralleled the triodes fed to a volume control, then to mixer type circuit, then to a cathode follower to a bass spec tone stack. The output of the treble pot went to the relay then to the PI.
    On the OD side, I used two 12AX7's too. I experimented with the 2203 type preamp, but settled for a cascaded type plexi circuit instead. I named the amp "el machete". Amp sounded really awesome....

LPV likes this.
  3. LPV

LPV Member

Thanks Carl, I guess I'm trying to find a lazy way out so as not to have to add more triodes but I do understand why you would go that route. I was hoping to just skip a gain stage like the standard MK2 low sensitivity input but not lose so much gain to the rest of the preamp.

4. JimSoprano

JimSoprano Member

Look into Friedman Smallbox...

5. gldtp99

gldtp99 Member

Here's a couple versions of SDM's "2 in 1" Mod from the Valvestorm website:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0By1xsHfamQ8iVndqbzd3STVYd3c

I've never used these mods but it sounds like they're what you are looking for----- A JCM 800 and a Superlead preamp in the same amp---- and a way to switch between them.

I have a '78 JMP 2203 and a '73 Superlead so I just use them one at a time depending on which type of tone I'm looking for that day.

Maybe I suffer from a lack of imagination ?

I see your amp is a 2204 circuit built into a Traynor------ I'd think SDM's "2 in 1" Mod would work on a 2204 circuit as well as the 100 waters.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018 at 6:20 AM
    LPV likes this.
  6. LPV

LPV Member

Thanks that's kind of what I'm looking for. I may give this a try.