Aprox. Price on Les Paul Rewire / Pickup Swap?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by SonexReducer, Feb 8, 2015.

1. SonexReducer

SonexReducer Member

Hi,

I would like to know generally what I would be paying to have my Les Paul completely rewired (50's wiring) while having my Dirty Fingers pulled from my Sonex 180 and put into my Les Paul.

I'd also have a coil tap put in with a pull pot. I do not have the parts and would appreciate any input.

Thank you.

2. David Collins

David Collins Member

Probably somewhere in between $10 and $1000. ;)

Really though, check with the shop you plan to have do the work. Asking here you'll find little more than prices recalled from dissimilar jobs in different economic regions, prices a buddy charged to help out a friend, and what some people think the job may be worth in their own mind. None of these guesses will tell you what it actually may cost you through the shop you go to.

Call your tech and ask.

3. paintguy

paintguy Long Hair Hippy Freak Silver Supporting Member

My "guess" is around $100.00 with a "going over" as well. Sort of a basic checking everything out. I could be way off though.:)

4. David Collins

David Collins Member

Here it would likely land around twice that, but could vary quite a bit depending on unlisted variables. It could vary equally as much depending on location (New York or LA will likely see different rates than rural Kentucky), and whether you are taking it to a full time, fully equipped, fully insured, full quality service shop, or a part time tinkerer working out of their basement, or a salesman with a soldering iron behind the counter at a music store.

The potential differences in price really could be enormous. Only way to get any realistic estimate is to ask at the shop that will be doing the work.

5. halcyon

halcyon Supporting Member

2-3 hours teaching yourself how to solder and another 2-3 doing the job. Maybe 2-3 beers as well? I would highly recommend doing it yourself.

6. slowerhand

slowerhand Supporting Member

About 2 hours of work + parts, so my guess would be 150-200. I agree with learning to do it yourself.

7. FallsRockShop

FallsRockShop Member

I would guess $125-175 depending on where you live. Looking at 1.5 billed hours plus $30-40 in parts so it's largely dependent on what labor costs at your preferred local shop.

8. SonexReducer

SonexReducer Member

Wow, thanks a bunch you guys. I'm checking out some videos on youtube and wiring diagrams, I think I may practice some soldering on my own and maybe give it a shot. If not, I have 2 great amp techs whom could probably do it real nice, just wanted to know what to throw at them.

Thanks again.