• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Aqua Puss Clone with MN3005?

What company makes or who can build me an Aqua Puss clone with real Panasonic MN3005 chips? Ideally with top quality, exact circuit as original and maybe even a smaller enclosure. Many thanks!

You're probably going to have to find a DIYer for that. There aren't enough 3005's floating around for any company to make a DM-2 or Aqua Puss clone that I know of. Plus, the market is flooded with fakes, so most people aren't willing to risk buying 3005's in case they spend $30 just to find out they got a fake. Maybe there is someone who'll do it for you, but I don't know of anyone right now.

DIY guys can message me if they prefer. Ideally someone who's done he proper research and built/calibrated one before. Thanks.

AXXA

Silver Supporting Member
A guy on here made a thread about doing this.... I think he sourced his own MN3005 chips and had someone convert the aqua puss to work with them. Sounds like a cool idea, but it could be expensive just trying to get the chips. Maybe try buying an old DOD analog delay for the chips?

tibbon

While not an Aquapuss clone, there's the Echoczar Quad which uses those. Only $1800 or so...

I could build one, and I have some MN3005 chips, but honestly for me to take the hours to design, test and build one is going to cost you more than the Echoczar since it will be a 1-off.

traviswalk

In the Great State
Platinum Supporting Member
JHS Pedals will do one, got one myself and it's pretty sweet.

Thanks for all the help so far. I would like true bypass and a small enclosure so the vintage boss pedals are out. I will email JHS for a quote. Echoczar and Diamond Memory Lane 2 is too much feature and price for what I want to do. The reissued mk2 was pretty good but since I'm getting an Aqua Puss again, I figured why not get the original chip, last few percent improvement in tone and smaller enclosure too (I'm trying to fit 8 pedals on a Pedaltrain Jr). I saw some sweet looking clones doing a web search/on the les Paul forum so I know there are some DYI guys out there building sweet ones. Please keep the suggestions or private messages coming. Thanks.

popinvasion

The way huge enclosures take up less space than hammonds with side jacks. My ap has been nodded for ap1 specs with an mm3005 chip. Go to freestomps if you want to mod yours, do some reading ask ?'s. Getting legit mm3005 chips is expensive and a challenge. I have an extra I am saving for a rainy day.

tibbon

The way huge enclosures take up less space than hammonds with side jacks. My ap has been nodded for ap1 specs with an mm3005 chip. Go to freestomps if you want to mod yours, do some reading ask ?'s. Getting legit mm3005 chips is expensive and a challenge. I have an extra I am saving for a rainy day.
Hmm, I hadn't considered this. Unless they completely redid the circuit, no reason you can't mod a ap2 to original specs. Neat idea.

popinvasion

tibbon said:
Hmm, I hadn't considered this. Unless they completely redid the circuit, no reason you can't mod a ap2 to original specs. Neat idea.
It's amazing. Best slapback ever. Needs the chip and a few other parts, clock, etc. But it rules.

mmolteratx

Not really. If you know where to look and are willing to take a bit of risk, you can get them still. I've got a handful around for repairs.

You're probably not gonna find many DIY'ers if any to build you one though now that Madbean's board is discontinued.

popinvasion

mmolteratx said:
Not really. If you know where to look and are willing to take a bit of risk, you can get them still. I've got a handful around for repairs.

You're probably not gonna find many DIY'ers if any to build you one though now that Madbean's board is discontinued.
I would advise the average Joe against trying to source the chips. Too many fraudsters.

popinvasion

dancehall said:
I'm surprised people are hung up on the 3005 thing. You'll never be able to really tell the difference from a 3205.
Absolutely false. The mn3005 has more headroom and is clearer. It also oscillates better and the repeats are smoother. Lastly for whatever reason the ap with mm3005 can calibrate to about 450ms, the 3205 was 300ms and not an ounce more.

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
I, too, have tried APs and DM2s and DMMTT vs DMB with both the 3005 and 3205 and there's no question in my mind I can hear the difference. Less hiss, more dynamic range and better frequency response with the 3005.

SUPROficial

Strange, I have two untampered (trimpots still sealed with the greenish stuff) DM-2s, an early MN3005 version, and a final issue (green label) version. The green label DM-2 has slightly more delay time available (we're talkin' maybe 330ms vs 300ms) and oscillates slightly quicker than the earlier one...but sonically? I'd attribute the differences between 'em to component drift rather than any chip differences.

mmolteratx

Strange, I have two untampered (trimpots still sealed with the greenish stuff) DM-2s, an early MN3005 version, and a final issue (green label) version. The green label DM-2 has slightly more delay time available (we're talkin' maybe 330ms vs 300ms) and oscillates slightly quicker than the earlier one...but sonically? I'd attribute the differences between 'em to component drift rather than any chip differences.
Pretty sure the DM-2 runs them both at 9V anyways. Not surprising that you don't hear a difference. The entire purpose of the 300X is the extra headroom due to being able to run it at higher voltages. It certainly makes a difference, especially if using high output pickups or an amp with a hot loop.

Trending Topics