Aqua Puss Delay...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by GotGAS?, Feb 13, 2008.

1. GotGAS?

GotGAS? Member

Hi. I'm a long time lurker but am rarely in a position to add anything constructive to the discussions I see here--there's a wealth of knowledge and experience available here that I can't come close to matching, so I've quietly read and learned (and bought and bought). Having now completed my lame attempt at an introduction, I'll jump in with my question...

Until about 3 years ago, I was the proud owner of a Way Huge Aqua Puss. But as money became tight, the lure of eBay made it impossible for me to resist flipping it, and given the very tidy profit I made, I've never had cause to regret the sale. I've never exactly replaced that delay, although I've certainly had the functionality both in my DL4 and now in my TimeFactor. But the small form factor, the dripping, liquidy echoes, the no-effort self-oscillation, and the so-simple-even-I-can-do-it operation of the Aqua Puss that made it such a great grab and go pedal for quick jams, etc. are not qualities I'd ascribe to either of the aforementioned delays, and I miss those qualities. So I'm kind of thinking about picking up a replacement. But before I just go buy a Keeley-modded AD-9, a Replica, or one of Analogman's cool delays (I should be so lucky...) I thought I'd check to see what folks here who have owned or played the Puss might recommend as a replacement. So what do you think?

2. playon

playon Supporting Member

I sold my Aqua Puss after getting the Mad Professor Blue delay, & I've never regretted it. My AP always dropped the volume slightly when engaged, the MPBD doesn't do that and also sounds killer, in a smaller box to boot.

3. cray2008

cray2008 Member

I have never had the pleasure of trying the aqua puss-but I hear dunlop is reissuing them. Go here: www.wayhuge.com Don't know when they're coming out-or if they'll be as good, but I will be getting one. ALso, as far as 500 ms analog delays Maxon makes one and there always is the EH Memory Man.

Jeorge Tripps has been responsible for all those cool new pedals dunlop's producing lately(octavio and new fuzz face)-so hopefully the new way huge will be good. CHeers

4. BrunoM

BrunoM Member

From what I see on their site the AP is not being reissued at all. There is a new Dunlop delay that is coming out but it is not being badged as a WH item

5. drod2045

drod2045 Member

that would be the MXR delay

6. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder Senior Member

+ 1 on deep blue delay, but there's hiss in the notes if you turn any knob up too much (say past 11:00).
    I find that I use the blur or smear control (or whatever it's called) in the digital delay of the timefactor really helps. I wish there was a delay where I could roll off highs, add some filtering, add some ducking, and blur the repeats a bit. Wait, there is: the deep blue.

7. BrunoM

BrunoM Member

Yeah made by...........................Dunlop :horse

8. clamdip7714

clamdip7714 Guest

I owned one for almost ten years and loved its tone, but the delay length was the reason I sold it. For Country and Rockabilly it kills. I never had a volume from with mine, it was exceptionally transparent. I had an old version AP1 I believe it was. I sold it for $650 and bought a Nova Delay and a GSR and pocketed a few bucks for what I got out of it. :)

9. lv

lv Supporting Member

The MP is nice, but sounds nothing like the AP.

10. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

See my review of the DBD-it's EQ'd completely differently than the AP (on purpose, check the website). It is a killer delay.

To me the advantages of the AP are that it's absolutely quiet (no hiss at all), warm, and just sounds good. In addition to it, I've owned: Ibanez AD9, AD202, UE400, Boss DM2 and rackmount analog, DD2, DD5, rackmount digital, DOD pedals and rackmount, MXR Stereo, ADA Rackmount, Electra pedal and rackmount, Yamaha 1005, Space Echo 201 and 501, EP2, digitech, Zoom, Diamond, Akai, Echopark etc. The only one that was as sweet and quiet as the AP was the Electra, but I've played others that weren't as good. Modern delays, I'd have to give the nod to the Diamond Memory lane. Not quite as easy to set, but great sounding neverthe less...

11. playon

playon Supporting Member

Yes they sound different, but they both make nice echo sounds. For me the stupid $ resale value of the AP made it a no brainer, & the BJF pedal sounds great.

12. GotGAS?

GotGAS? Member

Thanks for the replies; keep them coming.

I always knew the AP was a special pedal, but I didn't realize it would be so tough to match. The Memory Lane sounds phenomenal, and I love the mod and tap facilities, but it certainly is... how can I say it... way huge compared to the AP. And so expensive that I'd actually end up spending as much for it and the Timefactor combined as I sold my Puss for (yeah, there was quite a fever going on when I sold...). The DBD is nice sounding, but clearly, even through my cheesy laptop speakers, voiced nothing like the Puss. Does anyone have experience with the Retroman KopyKat?

13. Chuck Snider

Chuck Snider Supporting Member

I had a AP for a bit from a trade deal involving a quiver of nice pedals for a guitar. I thought it was a very nice delay along the lines of the DM-2 but Slightly clearer than my DM-2(s).. If you want a nice delay in the Analog 300ms area I would recomend the Analogman delay.. I have one here on loan from a buddy and it's quite good.. I like a delay that will let the dry signal through enough and give you a good wet level adjustment to add delayed signals. The AM is a real nice "balanced" delay and lets you roll down on your guitar while still having a delayed effect(lots of other delays dissapear at this point only to be overboard when you turn the guit vol up). then, with the AM, even if you deck your guitar volume ,,the delayed effect is still musical without becoming overbearing to the dry signal. most fancy (recent) analog delays I've tried /owned are not this way..... I guess it depends on your whole setup..If you use a amp that has lots of regions to get too through your guitars volume knob and pickup selection ,pick attack etc... the AM is a good one..
    BTW My main favorite delay(for the reason mentioned above) is a SIB red echodrive.. NOT analog though but extremely musical and organic for something in a pedal (non tape) format..
    Again I'm really impressed with the AM delay.. I want one!!

14. john b

john b Supporting Member

Check out the Freakshow Digilog. I'm really happy with mine, especially after going through quite a few delays. It's very versatile and sounds great. There is alot of info here if you do a search. Contrary to what some folks have written, mine makes no noise at all. A very cool delay at a reasonable price.

15. 4styx

4styx Member

Ibanez AD-80.

16. BrunoM

BrunoM Member

That is one kick ass delay for under $350.00 for sure :AOK:AOK

17. DANOCASTER

DANOCASTER Supporting Member

I had a Aqua Puss-

It was cool. I preferred my DM-2