Aquapuss for Shoegazing

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by toast487, Mar 1, 2012.

1. toast487

toast487 Member

Can the Aquapuss pull off some shoegazing type stuff if it's helped along with some reverb?

2. Twangasaurus

Twangasaurus Member

Nope. 300ms is too short. The Supa Puss on the other hand would be brilliant!

3. toast487

toast487 Member

As a beginner at this type of music, is it really the tape style delay that drives the sound or the reverb at the core of it?

4. ChaseTMP

ChaseTMP Member

Reverb is at the core and sometimes, reverse reverb to complicate things. Which band's sound were you looking to emulate?

5. schmitch

schmitch Member

I have seen this pedal on a lot of Ambient/Shoegaze boards. My Carbon Copy is on almost all the time and it is only set at around 350 ms. It definitely has enough time for this style of music. I think high repeats and coupling it with a reverb would do it for you.

6. Zounds Perspex

Zounds Perspex Supporting Member

start by putting reverb before dirt, if you haven't already.

7. HowardMusic

HowardMusic Member

I agree with this. High repeats and reverb should work, and maybe crank up the feedback a little. Maybe if you're into more complex textures and stuff you might want a longer delay with more options, but I think in general this should work for more straight-ahead shoegaze and space rock. I'm now looking at a Subdecay Spring Theory for my reverb - that things has got some really long decay times that could help create some nice textures for ambient stuff.

8. toast487

toast487 Member

Well in general I'm a big fan of The XX, Beach House, SlowDive, the National, Fleet Foxes, Bon Iver, And the more spacy Wilco songs (alla Impossible Germany or Rising Red Lung). So I guess maybe not super intense shoegaze but definitely ambient themes. Not trying to emulate anyone in particular but the general vibe is where I want to go. What kind of Reverb would I need. A good spring reverb in a pedal? or Amp Spring? Or Hall Reverb?

PS I also like coldplay but realize I won't even get close to that w/o all the rack processors.

9. ChaseTMP

ChaseTMP Member

While I'm a fan of all of those bands, when I think "shoegaze", I equate that sound with the early 90's bands out of England. Slowdive, would be the only one of those that you listed that fits my definition and "that" sound was rarely obtained without a rack multi-effects unit or rack-reverb, at minimum.

If you're just looking for texture and ambience, the Aquapuss would work, but maybe check out Earthquaker Device's Dispatch Master, as it has a fairly cavernous reverb in addition to delay. It is DSP-based, but I think it sounds great. I personally, use a Timeline and Eventide Space and for the first time, feel I can get some of the Quadraverb sounds that our departed guitarist had, but without using a rack-unit.

10. toast487

toast487 Member

Would a holy grail reverb get me in the sonic territory of the bands listed?

11. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

I think loud repeats are the most important thing...and the aqua puss has enough time...as long as there is enough of a gap between your repeats to distinguish it from slapback, it works...

Although, keep in mind that usually the repeats have to be in tempo of the song...so for really slow songs, it might not be enough

Reverb is a must though...I love catherine wheel, cavo, and a few other bands that are considered "shoegaze", and I love ambient atmospheric playing...my aqua puss works just fine

12. JRC4558Dude

JRC4558Dude Member

To the OP, forget the AquaPuss.
    Seriously, it's a bad choice.

I have one, and I like it, but the delay times are WAY too short for ambient/shoegaze stuff. Plus, when the delay time is maxed out, you get issues with clock noise. :(

Hoenstly, you're better off with a BOSS DD3 in that price range. Of course, the new SupaPuss looks pretty cool, and it has plenty of delay time.

13. JamesSGBrown

JamesSGBrown Member

Try for a used Ibanez DE-7!