Aquavibe power supply?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by trumpus, Aug 15, 2008.

1. trumpus

trumpus Supporting Member

Hey all,

I got my Aquavibe 4U e-mail and was about to make the purchase but I was wondering about the optional power supply.

Will the Aquavibe run off a Fuel Tank Jr. or Pedal Power 2 or should I go ahead and spend the extra $8 on the power supply? Right now I'm using a Fulltone Dejavibe with the Fulltone supply - mainly because when I bought it, Mike Fuller made a point to note that it needed the specific supply to work correctly.

Any help would be great! I plan on ordering today, so the sooner the better.

Brian

2. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

I emailed the people at VooDoo labs with the needed specs when I ordered my Aquavibe and they said if you run it on one of the Line 6 ports (which runs at higher ma) you should be fine. I would imagine that the Fulltone would be the same deal too...

May I ask wne you got on the list to get an Aquavibe?

Also, once you get it please let me know how it compares to the Fulltone.

3. trumpus

I got on February 1st - I got the e-mail July 29th but had to sell some gear before I could purchase. I e-mailed Dave and he said this was fine.

Brian

4. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

So can you run it off the pp2+ w/out any problems???? :eek:

5. silverface63

silverface63 Member

I'm wondering the same thing myself.

6. charmboy

charmboy Member

I emailed Dave Fox about this and he said that pp2 should work fine on one of the 150ma spots and that even though the Aqua calls for 9v at 200ma or more, the pp2 rating is on the conservative side. He also mentioned that he's had reports from customers that they've used the pp2 successfully.

Not sure about the fuel tank or others though.

7. muffinman

muffinman Member

I ordered the power supply from Dave and it works great-- no issues.

I also have a 1SPOT and a PP2+. Do NOT bother using the 1SPOT on the Aquavibe; lotsa lotsa extraneous junk noise-- probably because the circuit converts the 9V to ##V internally, and the digital switcher thing in the 1SPOT doesn't play well.

Hmm, I might have to try the PP2+ (ports 5/6) tonight. Had I known that....

8. charmboy

charmboy Member

yeah, I've still got a few weeks to wait (got on the list feb 28) but wanted to get all my questions out of the way ahead of time... I want to ensure the shortest possible time between "Aquavibe 4u" and actually plugging into it.

He replied to my questions within a couple of hours... Pretty awesome!

9. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

Really?!

Thats wild...on Dave's website he says 300Ma or more...I was thinking running it off the 250 Ma ports on a PPII+ (the Line 6 ports) was pushing it but nobody knows better than Dave!

I can't wait to get mine...however I didn't get on the list until just a few months ago...

10. charmboy

charmboy Member

I'm sorry, I got the numbers wrong. You're right it's rated for 300ma or higher, and he suggested that running it off of the 250ma ports on the PPII would be fine since they the 250 rating is on the conservative side. I was going by memory and dropped 100ma from both values. :x

Either way the PPII should work fine.

11. vulcaniza P

vulcaniza P Member

will it work off of a boss tu 2 daisy chain?

12. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

When powering things off the TU-2 daisy chain you have to remember to add the total ma draw from everything you are powering then look at the total you have from the power source...

13. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

Gocha...either way that makes me happy, I know for sure how to power mine now! I was gonna wait until I heard from Dave and ask then but now I know.

14. trumpus

Just wondering - anyone try to power just the Aquavibe and a few OD's off of a One Spot or Godlyke? The One Spot is supposed to have 1700 mA - the drive pedals only draw a small amount, so this should theoretically work, no? I'm at work now, so I obviously can't try this, but thinking of how to get the most on my PT mini with the fewest adapters...

15. Chadley

Chadley Member

Aquavibe and PP2 user here. No problems. I even A/B'd it with the power supply from Dave. PP2 works just the same (output 5/6 with dip switch "on").

16. CitizenAudio

CitizenAudio Member

Are you using the regular center negative black cable?

17. muffinman

muffinman Member

see my earlier post - and for the record the Aquavibe works awesome on PP2+ port 5 or 6, or a separate transformer-based adapter.

18. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Wingwalker, (Trumpus answer was to you asking when he got on the list), it sounds like Dave must be up to speed cranking them out...I got mine a few months ago, and it was almost a year to the day after I had gotten on to the list. If I read this answer right, Dave is down to 7 months.

Just to throw my 2 cents in, I got on the list and figured "if I have all my vibe needs met, I can always respectfully decline when my turn comes up", and actually I was pretty happy with what I had...but..you know..."I'm UP!" and I just had to take the plunge.

MAN...I am really glad I did. I own (among others, but naming the best) a Sweetsound Mojo vibe, KR Megavibe, Foxrox CC2 w/vibe, Sweetsound Ultravibe, and Fulltone Mini-deja vibe (of my "best" vibes, the fulltone is last in chorus mode, but still way ahead of many others I have and have tried.. and for some reason the Fulltone is my favorite when I use "vibrato" setting...and I use it a lot!).

The Aquavibe is simple amazing. I had learned a bit of the tweaking concept with the width knob from my CC2 Provibe, but I feel like the provibe was more touchy...the aqua is easier to set, better range on the width, but it seems like I can get that wonderful Hendrix BOG sound, and get in all the areas the others can. The big difference is that extra knob. It's not strictly (or only) a tone-control knob, but it does that as well...I can get that chunky sound, "chewy", nice bass response, etc. but also into other sounds that are not strictly "vibe" sounding.

VERY versatile!

19. lv

lv Supporting Member

I've used both the 1-spot and PPII+, in my rig, the one-spot was actually quieter - even though I am using all the outlets on the one spot.

Because the PPII+ is located so close to the fx, it causes hum, but the one-spot, with its power supply 10 feet away, causes no inetrference whatsoever. Very unexpected since Foxrox recommends against a daiy chain supply, but a nice surprise as I sold the PPII+, bought another one-spot and never looked back.

20. trumpus

Great to know! I am going to make a pedalboard swap tonight!!

Brian