Aquavibe vs. Megavibe

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jzucker, Apr 23, 2008.

1. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

Yesterday, a friend of mine brought over his megavibe and we compared the aquavibe and the megavibe.

We both thought the aquavibe truly nailed the hendrix and trower tones and just had that little something extra in its asymmetrical throb which sounded more organic and less modern. The megavibe sounded fantastic too. It's right up there with some of the best vibes I have heard but is a little more modern and clear sounding.

It's interesting cuz a month ago, one of the megavibe folks (who had never played an aqua by the way) stated that the aqua was a more modern vibe like the fulltone but my buddy and I both disagreed. He's owned several real univibes (as have I) and we both felt the aqua really nails the true univibe sound.

Don't get me wrong, either one is killer but I feel the aqua just has that little something extra going for it. It's also got a killer vibrato which I will demonstrate in the coming weeks. (We didn't A/B the megavibe's vibrato with the aquavibe)

2. mprvise

mprvise Member

Thanks for this opinion. I've played a Mega and to date it's the best I've heard in person. I own a Mojo and Mini Deja (both great), but I got on the Aqua list after getting an Octron and being WAY impressed with it. Can't wait to hear those clips!

3. jzucker

4. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I haven't ever tried a Mega, but the clips are excellent (he won't ship out of the country now..) but I wondered about two things.

I have a Captain Coconuts 2, is the Aquavibe the exact same vibe as I have there then?

Also, I kept hearing that one huge plus about the Mega was that it sounded great wherever in the path, before OR after a fuzz for example. That it wasn't as dependant as most vibes are on placement. Did you guys try them out in different orders?

5. shakti

shakti Member

What would be really, really cool, would be a clip demonstrating the two side-by-side with the exact same setup, just playing simple chords and letting the strings ring out through full cycles of the vibe, to really hear how they compare.

The only clip I've heard which did that, compared a CC2 Provibe to the Mega, and in that clip I clearly preferred the Mega on almost all levels. But the Aqua is different again, and those clips you put up sounded very promising, jzucker. But I'd love to hear comparison clips if you could make some, and please let the chords hang so we can hear how the vibe really pulses!! :)

6. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

did you folks use expression pedals at all? just wonderin' . . . . . i need a restraining order on myself. 300 bucks i just don't have right now. . . but there is NOTHING on that credit card mike!!! . . . AND YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO KEEP IT THAT WAY. . . . . jeebus. . . help me. . .

7. jzucker

I'll see if Frankie will let me do a demo of his Megavibe next to the Aquavibe. I agree that it'd be an interesting comparison.

8. jzucker

No we didn't and i've only tried the aqua at the end of the signal path after fuzz and wahs. If Frankie agrees to an A/B test we'll try them out in a few places.

9. bandofthieves™

bandofthieves™ Member

Maybe you should demo it next to a real Univibe.
    Wait...Never mind Dave has already done that.He owns several . Carry on..:D

10. jzucker

No doubt and I'll bet he's demo'd it next to many other vibes too. :)

11. rah3

rah3 Gold Supporting Member

I love my Prescription Electronics Vibe Unit. It won the GP vibe shootout 8 - 10 years ago. My only complaint is the need for the wallwart. Any recommendations besides the Lovepedal Vibe or VooDoo labs Micro Vibe for units that can run off batteries?

-RAH3

12. bandofthieves™

bandofthieves™ Member

:confused:

13. bandofthieves™

bandofthieves™ Member

I know I have..Great sounding Vibe..

14. jzucker

From Dave@foxrox

15. analogmike

analogmike Gold Supporting Member

That one was great, it had a board (guts) made by Bob Sweet :)

A little later PE started making the vibes themselves.

16. jzucker

Mike,

How does the current PE unit compare to the other vibes you've tried? I've always wanted to try one.

17. TheWarmth

TheWarmth Member

So is the Aquavibe officially shipping now? Just trying to figure out how much of a wait time I have left.

18. jzucker

Dave posted in another thread that it was indeed shipping now. As I mentioned, I got mine a few days ago.

By the way, the price of $290 is a steal for this IMO...

19. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

f*ck it. i just sent him the email.

i blame you jack. i take no personal responsibility for my own actions. of course, i will take all of the credit if I fall completely in love with it. . . .

20. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

Hey Jack is the dark and muddiness of the tone the way you adjusted the amp or is that imparted by the Aqua?