Aracom PRX150 Attenuator - The REAL Deal!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by spyeman, Dec 19, 2009.

1. spyeman

spyeman Supporting Member

I have never had an attenuator. Have had some power scaling amps, and yeah, pretty good, but you really had to be near full to truly get the best tones. Got the Aracom PRX150 yesterday. It is amazingly pure and transparent. I kept having to turn it off to make sure I was hearing what I was hearing - and I was. And I'm a tone junkie. Wouldn't settle for anything but great. I have a Budda SD18 II that I love the dirty channel on, perfect for AC/DC, ZZ, Floyd, etc. Can never crank it enough in bars (yes I know, it has a great master, etc.....) to get the best tone out of it....Now I can! Can't friggin wait. It was simply just lower volume, same great tone. Just had a ball playing to CD's at a volume level that is reasonable, and getting the tone I want, all the pinched harmonics, etc, its there. Now I'll never use an attenuator to get down to whisper quiet levels, I was only notching my sound down 3, 6, 9 and 12 db's, and that's way more than I'll ever need. This will be an indespensible gigging tool for me, I'll take it to every gig, there will be a few where I don't need it (great!), but most I will. Hats off to Jeff at Aracom, who is 100% a complete professional and the communication was great. Just wanted to let fellow TGP'ers know that IMHO, this is the real deal.....I would never play anything out that wasn't!!! (BTW, worked great with a Diezel and Kingsley as well!)

2. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

My reinhardt's power scaling worked incredibly well at low volumes.

3. or bowling

or bowling Member

+1 on that, I'm digging the Aracom

4. GT100

GT100 Member

This may not make sense at first, but have you tried it on a pure clean setting?

The reason I ask is because these devices tend to compress your dynamics and with lots of "scorch" dialed from your amp it makes it harder to notice.

If you do this you will have a better idea how transparent it really is.

5. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

I use my Aracom for my clean amps with great results. Very transparent and the dynamics are great.

6. GT100

GT100 Member

What I notice is that the attack of the note is compressed.
    So the Aracom avoids this?

7. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

To my ears, yes, it doesn't compress the cleans. I have gigged with the Aracom / Glaswerks combo and got some of the best clean tones I've ever had. I like running the amp's volumes up pretty high and using my guitar's volume to control the clean to edgy clean tones and the Aracom lets it all shine through. Plus, all the sparkle is left intact.

The Glaswerks and my Hiwatt have some of the best cleans I've ever heard and I wouldn't use the Aracom if it screwed with them. It also sounds great with my old blackface Fenders.

8. stratovarius

stratovarius Supporting Member

I'm a bedroom hack, so I'm always using my Aracom at its most extreme attenuation setting. It does not compress and leaves your dynamics intact even at those levels.

9. Doug59

Doug59 Supporting Member

well....you certainly started with the best !!

Me too!! This is the best piece of gear I purchased this year....and the Dr Z MAZ18 I'm using it with!!!!

Play on !!!!

10. porterburst

porterburst Supporting Member

I've had mine for a few weeks now, and it's amazing. The best I've tried or used period!

11. twopack

twopack Member

Good to know! Recieving mine tomorrow. Any questions I suggest folks read Jeff's excellent thesis on attenuation on the site.

12. wichita

wichita Supporting Member

I have one turning up here any day that I will compare side by side to my Phantom.
    The Phantom is pretty darn good so I am anxious to compare the two.

13. xray

xray Gold Supporting Member

The Aracom is fantastic. Jeff is great to work with as well.

14. TMock

TMock Supporting Member

Lance, be sure to keep us posted. I know you're a big fan of the Phantom. I'm really impressed by my Aracom, and it will be interesting to hear how you think the Aracom compares--besides the obvious physical and feature differences.

15. wichita

wichita Supporting Member

Sure will.
    I will give an honest and unbiased opinion.
    Heck, I hope something beats the Phantom. That would be one killer attenuator.

16. porterburst

porterburst Supporting Member

The Aracoms individual input and output impedance matching switches that allows you to mix and match dissimilar impedances is truly amazing. Add the fact that it's very transparent, and you have the perfect attenuator.

17. Timster

Timster Member

is there a waiting list??

18. Dave_C

Dave_C Supporting Member

Check out the volume-leveled clips on the site. Totally transparent. I got my Aracom a few weeks ago and have owned/own MANY attenuators. The Aracom is the first one that actually works as advertised. Amazing product!

19. Dave_C

Dave_C Supporting Member

I think you're in for a pleasant surprise with the Aracom!

20. GuitarNorton

GuitarNorton Member

Yep and it doesn't get buzzy and stiff at lower levels of attenuation, still feels like your playing an amp.

My most satisfying purchase of the year.